• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rub vs salt/pepper vs "let the seasoning in the pit flavor it"?

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I know this seems kinda crazy to question whether or not a rub matters...or at least how much it matters but after the experiments with the spritz and the wrap test in the spring of last year (which I didn't talk about but this video also kinda reinforced those results), I'm not taking anything for granted.

So basically there were tests going on here. One was to see how much of a difference a full flavored bbq rub compared to just salt/pepper or just skipping the seasoning altogether. Does it really matter...both when layering on the flavors or just straight through backyard style?

The second test was to see how much I could edit around all the noise going on in my back yard when my neighbors were getting a new roof put on about 60 feet away. lol.

This one was a TON of editing. Hope you enjoy.

Thanks for watching, guys.

https://youtu.be/NvOmv8gABI4

Rubs absolutely matter. For better, or worse, till death do us part. That said, i was never a fan of S&P. Bovine Bold is my go to.

After watching most of your video, i now realize you are adding a "glaze" to all the ribs. So they all have a rub. In this case you're basicly adding a brown sugar rub to the ones without S&P and the Gque rub.

After watching most of your video, i now realize you are adding a "glaze" to all the ribs. So they all have a rub. In this case you're basicly adding a brown sugar rub to the ones without S&P and the Gque rub.

I'm sorry. I don't understand. Can you explain again?

20-something years ago my uncle used to make ribs with just a mustard slather. They were not too bad. I thought you were gonna cook them with just smoke?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20-something years ago my uncle used to make ribs with just a mustard slather. They were not too bad. I thought you were gonna cook them with just smoke?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

one rack was cooked with just smoke.
One was cooked just with S&P
One was with "The rub"
These were cooked straight through like this.

The other 3 racks were the same as the above accept I wrapped and layered on flavors. I clearly should have done a better job of explaining it.

The problem is whenever I do these experiments, I prefer to isolate it down to one variable but people get mad so I did one set of ribs straight through I one set wrapped, sauced and glazed.

I prefer Rubs......

I do too but was surprised how good the salt/pepper tasted. Even the naked cooked just in smoke was better than I thought it would be. Just needed salt. If it wasn't a direct comparison I don't think "normal" people would miss all the other stuff we tend to add.

Thanks for shooting this video! :clap: It is interesting. I am not totally sure, but growing up, my grandpa would cook his ribs naked, or at most with S&P. I have never done naked ones before, but the smoke flavor is there, and I can see it affecting flavor too.

If you can't make a piece of meat taste good with just S&P, you need to work on your technique.

I LOVE closed minded opinions like this. I guess your taste is universal and crosses all boundaries?

No room for variety and change; no chance to open up your mind on this?

Last edited:
I LOVE closed minded opinions like this. I guess your taste is universal and crosses all boundaries?

No room for variety and change; no chance to open up your mind on this?

Not an uncommon position here, along with turning up of the nose about some sauce. Whaaaaaateevver. Different regions have different styles, I can appreciate them all. :thumb:

Loved the video! Love your LSG!! All dem’ ribs looked good to me... :)

How often do you find yourself feeding that pit a stick on average?

Back