• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

I bought a Pit Boss Austin LX about 3 weeks ago,love it so far,not done any smokes over 5 hrs or so yet but will soon as I have been learning on small stuff before I throw15-20 lbs chunk of meat on it,been using lumberjack hickory ,wife doesn't like to much of a heavy smoke any more due to indigestion so I don't need to add any extra than what the pellets provide,plenty of room and temps stay pretty stable,would buy it again

I wish Wal Mart would carry flavors from B&B. All my store carries is Hickory. Wish they would carry Lumberjack pellets to boot. I am sure some stores across the country carry different products, but my local store just carries the B&B Hickory. It is in the middle of a transformation of a being a Super Center, so hopefully they will carry more items soon! Should be done by November.

Academy sports sells them if you have one of those chains

Piked up a GMG Davy Crockett last weekend. I've smoked a meat loaf and a pork butt so far. I also put it on a moving dolly with some U-bolts, so I can easily roll it in and out of the shed. So far I love this little thing.

GMGDC.jpg

Got tired of waiting around for the Mak mini, so got a Davy Crockett for the camper. This little thing smokes like a locomotive. Mine is loud so they r sending me a new auger assembly..works pretty well, although I can’t stand the legs on it

Burgers really through up some smoke signals

eee94ce797a0fb1159ffbc59fcda8804.jpg

Chops came out quite good

2266e3a93794a43f42ae43a6d18f8ed9.jpg

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought a Pit Boss Austin LX about 3 weeks ago,love it so far,not done any smokes over 5 hrs or so yet but will soon as I have been learning on small stuff before I throw15-20 lbs chunk of meat on it,been using lumberjack hickory ,wife doesn’t like to much of a heavy smoke any more due to indigestion so I don’t need to add any extra than what the pellets provide,plenty of room and temps stay pretty stable,would buy it again
With ribs I usually do a 50/50 Cherry and Hickory or just strait Apple. I always use Apple when I do a Boston Butt. My wife is the same way. She likes the Pellet grill over the stuff I make on the Pit Barrel cooker. You might find she likes the Apple pellets as they are a bit lighter. I have a bag of Pecan out there, but I have never used them.

I have been using Q Pellets since there is a dealer close to me. Been using a 50/50 mix of pecan and cherry for most low and slow cooks. For the high temp cooks been using hickory since it burns hotter. Still using hickory pellets that came with the MAK from Big Poppa Smokers. Think it is the BBQrs Delight. But happy with both brands.

I have been using Q Pellets since there is a dealer close to me. Been using a 50/50 mix of pecan and cherry for most low and slow cooks. For the high temp cooks been using hickory since it burns hotter. Still using hickory pellets that came with the MAK from Big Poppa Smokers. Think it is the BBQrs Delight. But happy with both brands.
I have a bag of Pecan pellets I have never opened. Do you use Pecan for Ribs? I might have to try a 50/50 mix of Cherry and Pecan. I am usually 50/50 Cherry and Hickory for ribs and apple for Pork butts.

I have a bag of Pecan pellets I have never opened. Do you use Pecan for Ribs? I might have to try a 50/50 mix of Cherry and Pecan. I am usually 50/50 Cherry and Hickory for ribs and apple for Pork butts.
Can't say as far as pellets go but I use Pecan wood chunks in my charcoal cookers the majority of time because they provide a light smoke profile.

The Pecan Cherry mix is fantastic on ribs and butts. I also use that blend on beef too. Pretty much anything low and slow it is great on. But on chicken you have to watch it because it can darken the skin, might turn off some people as being burnt. If you do the chicken low and slow.

ever since cookinpellets whet up I have been using lumber jack supreme blend, I find the blends versatile and I don't want to store several various bags

A couple racks on the grill. Did one with Kosmos Q Killer Bee with Chipotle and Lamberts Sweet Rub O Mine and did the other with Killer Hogs The Rub and Killer Bee. Glazed with Kosmos Q Cherry Habanero and the other with Killer Hogs BBQ sauce. Really digging the Kosmos Q Cherry Habanero!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_a67.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_a67.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 458
  • fullsizeoutput_a68.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_a68.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 456
In my opinion the 100% Hickory lumberjack pellets gives a lot better smoke profile over the b&b. What size bag is that for $20? I pay $8.99 for 20 lb bags of lumberjack locally.

In Tulsa? Who do you buy from? Atwood’s or Sutherland’s. Wish they carried more variety but Sutherland’s did have the hot pepper one but I didn’t buy a bag.

I really like the mesquite blend. Also use cherry and apple for chicken but It is a much lighter smoke profile than the hickory and mesquite. They have 100% pecan but I haven't found it local yet. I use hickory 90% of the time in my hopper then add the flavored pellets to my amaze n tube.

Should have read the whole thread. Sutherland’s on 21st had pecan last time I was in.

Just thought I would drop a picture of my new 2-piece heat diffuser for my YS640 in case anyone want to see what it looks like installed.
pKSmkI1l.jpg

I ran my first smoke with it in and it worked like a charm. The door pulls completely out so you have full access to the fire pot for priming before the cook and cleaning afterwards. The old diffuser was a PIA to move so that I could vaccum out the ash. I'm debating getting some GrillGrates and test getting the YS640 up to it's max temp to see how it cooks stakes and how the taste compares with my Weber. I might just give the current grates a real good cleaning and see if that works.

Just thought I would drop a picture of my new 2-piece heat diffuser for my YS640 in case anyone want to see what it looks like installed.

pKSmkI1l.jpg

I ran my first smoke with it in and it worked like a charm. The door pulls completely out so you have full access to the fire pot for priming before the cook and cleaning afterwards. The old diffuser was a PIA to move so that I could vaccum out the ash. I'm debating getting some GrillGrates and test getting the YS640 up to it's max temp to see how it cooks stakes and how the taste compares with my Weber. I might just give the current grates a real good cleaning and see if that works.

GG work pretty good with the yoder...most of these were done at set temp of 450 or so and GG’s:

ef9bbd60cca0c10b48cc1018b6772bad.jpg

b4b3f3e925ec57a89bc5e2bb90bf3d96.jpg

c06c0b45f0d6a4ddaae30fcf80639220.jpg

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I cannot find a good link to it, but Broil King now has a pellet version of the smoke series. If you look it up can you tell me what you think? Never seen a controller like it and the auger runs under the cooker...

Is this it? https://www.waltonsinc.com/broil-king-smoke-pellet-grill-xl
It has some interesting features, but at $1200, I would probably go Yoder, Mak, or Blazin Grills. That is the first rotisserie, I have seen in a pellet grill. Interesting, but based on all the pellet grills I have seen. I think it would be more like having your food spun in an oven, than actual rotisserie.

I cannot find a good link to it, but Broil King now has a pellet version of the smoke series. If you look it up can you tell me what you think? Never seen a controller like it and the auger runs under the cooker...

Yeah thats the one, had trouble loading that page on my phone. I admit the rotisserie is a bit odd. The exhaust stack has a damper on it could that be used to get more smoke flavor? Also cast iron grates sound like a pain.

Had a skating seminar for my oldest daughter today. So we stopped by the Yoder dealer, YS640 is impressive in person, combo package with big shelf and grates but no 2 piece diffuser. Now the salesman mentioned a new Traeger this summer with 1/4 inch steel as a direct competitor to some Yoder models. Can any Brethren confirm this?

Had a skating seminar for my oldest daughter today. So we stopped by the Yoder dealer, YS640 is impressive in person, combo package with big shelf and grates but no 2 piece diffuser. Now the salesman mentioned a new Traeger this summer with 1/4 inch steel as a direct competitor to some Yoder models. Can any Brethren confirm this?

If you go Yoder, I would pay for the 2 piece diffuser. It's a really nice feature, especially if you are going to use it for direct grilling. I think it is absurd that they haven't made that a standard feature, or at least an upgrade option, instead of making you buy both.

Back