MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

Default Catered pig roast

Didnt see very recent posts about catering whole pig roasts, so looking for more recent experiences. I've got a few requests for a pig roast next summer how do you do the presentation/serving of the meat?
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

We cook hogs skin side down like he's laying on his back. Once displayed we pull and blend the entire hog together, that way everyone gets the same meat and you don't have the first to eat talking about how good this cut or that cut was and the people at the end have to hear about it but don't get to try it.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

We've been cooking them "racer" style and serve them the same way presented on kale with various things around it. then cut it open and pick it apart.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #4
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Tony,

I cook them on its back. I also wrap a couple splits in foil and put one under each rib cage to hold the juices. I have a wooden serving tray, cover with kale, put on a couple sawhorses for guests to take photos. Then I bring it back to my prep table to pull and mix as mentioned above.

I do reserve the cheeks for the guest(s) of honor though as it is the best part and they are footing the bill.

I also have a $1,500 additional labor charge for doing a pig roast because of the time/labor involved.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post

I also have a $1,500 additional labor charge for doing a pig roast because of the time/labor involved.
Do you get a lot of push back with this? We are new as well and are going to really kick this thing off in the spring. We have our menus made, but our on site labor charge we have listed as $350. Are we short changing ourselves? I'm dealing with a similar clientele in Northern NJ as you probably are in CT.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post
Do you get a lot of push back with this? We are new as well and are going to really kick this thing off in the spring. We have our menus made, but our on site labor charge we have listed as $350. Are we short changing ourselves? I'm dealing with a similar clientele in Northern NJ as you probably are in CT.
I’ve done 3 dedicated pig roasts with no push back on the price.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote