MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #16
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
get it while you can-
My buddy manages a Lowes I asked him about their carrying it, and the rumblings on many boards it is not being stocked up anymore up here. He said that they are losing the chips, but the charcoal is staying around, just a smaller amount of shelf space, as another brand is buying more space.
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 04:24 AM   #17
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

If you're using K now, try some stubbs and you'll never go back. Has the consistancy you wont find with K.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #18
TRS
On the road to being a farker

Been using Stubb's briqs for 3-4 months now. No problems. Burns hot, minimum ash, no off taste or smell. Good stuff.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #19
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

some say its bad..some say good...I just want my fire more consistant than with lump but still with the clean burn, and little ash...
dudz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #20
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudz View Post
some say its bad..some say good...I just want my fire more consistant than with lump but still with the clean burn, and little ash...
So does everyone in the BBQ world,That's the trade off of briq vs lump.I would love to find one too.Not all brands are carried all over.I just bought 2 bags of Maple Leaf briq's and am trying it.Their lump is one of the best so I thought there briq's must be good too.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #21
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

The search for the magic charcoal begins...

Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #22
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

This has been posted before but is a great reference for charcoal brands.
jon

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #23
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

Does stubbs have similar ash production as wicked good briquettes? The naked whiz does mostltly lump charcoal and they have a good write up on wicked good briquettes is stubbs similar.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #24
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

Just made pig candy for my first time also using stubbs for my first time...sorry no pron (dont have camera) but it worked very well just as you guys said it would, and will use again tonight for burgers..I am very happy..pig candy is amazing!!!

Old 02-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #25
suprfast
Take a breath!

Thanks to this thread. Just went down to lowes and picked up a bag of stubbs. I love going all natural routes vs chemical routes any day. I almost bought the kingford comp but the borax is a turn off. Stubbs is all natural and ill test it out tomorrow. Ill chime back with my impressions.

Side note, just used some royal oak and i wasnt exactly impressed. Only had about 8 hours from a full basket in my UDS, where i normally get 12 hours easy with a full basket with charcoal. Food didnt have any unnecessary tastes to it, so that is a plus. Biggest turn off was the white flakes(similar to paper being burn) flying around from the royal. not sure if there was paper there or not, i didnt sort it at the beginning. Error is on RO part though.
kris
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #26
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntjz3 View Post
I have never tried the marinade, or bbg sauce. What is bbg sauce? The charcoal is crap.
Seriously bro?? I've burn alot of stubbs and had nothing but good results... It smells like a natural wood fire vs the nasty funky chit that comes out of a bag of K...
There are better natural charcoal briqs out there, but I absolutely would not put this one at the bottom of the heap of "the worst"

Have you had better sucess with something else? Please tell... always looking for a better briq!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #27
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudz View Post
I think you'll find that the ash tends to fall away from the briq as it burns instead of holding on like others with binders & coal do. This helps your burn be more consistent.

Only way to know for sure is to try it.

This isn't a commitment for the rest of your life, it's 1 farkin' bag. Buy it, burn it, then make a decision!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]

Old 02-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #28
tntjz3
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Seriously bro?? I've burn alot of stubbs and had nothing but good results... It smells like a natural wood fire vs the nasty funky chit that comes out of a bag of K...
There are better natural charcoal briqs out there, but I absolutely would not put this one at the bottom of the heap of "the worst"

Have you had better sucess with something else? Please tell... always looking for a better briq!
I bought 2 bags of Stubbs from Lowes here in Ithaca NY. I use a chimney to start my charcoal. The Stubbs sparked the entire time and smelled like chit. The flavor it put on the meat was toxic, worse I have ever had. It was like there was flint in every brick it sparked that bad. That being said, I read alot of good folks having great results with Stubbs. Maybe, a bad bag? I took the other one back and got my money back. I use Royal Oak Lump, but want a brick that is "natural" for longer burn times. If I use my offset, I stick to real wood.
tntjz3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #29
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

tntjz3..........Ithica is not from buffalo in this huge world..do you know of any better charcoal in NY..I can only find RO lump and Stubbs..I like stubbs..do you know of others?

Old 02-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #30
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

cant you guys get "wicked good" nat briqs out there? somebody must carry them.

Tags
charcoal