Wood type

patriotn11

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I ordered a Weber Performer 22" grill and am going to get the 22" WSM soon. What are the types of wood that are good to use with chicken, brisket, sausage and Pork butts, for a good smoke ring and taste, I want to use charcoal and add the wood as I go. Also is the shavings better then the hard wood itself and is there a saw dust type to use.

I know it's a silly question but, is pork butts what you use for pulled pork

Thanks for your help all, pictures will follow

Michael

Michael,

Yes butts are for pulled pork.

I've never used "shavings" or "sawdust". I use the chunks and chips that you can buy at grocery stores and hardware stores. I also use 1" x 1" x 16" split pieces of hickory when using my offset smoker.

As far as types, there are far more comprehensive lists of what wood for what meat (see the wood thread a few post after yours), but here are my preferences for the meats you mentioned.

Butts - I like hickory, apple or a mix of both.
Sausage - pork sausage see above. beef sausage, see brisket.
Chicken - poultry is susceptible to smoke so use a fruit wood like cherry or apple. If I use hickory or oak, I go very lightly.
Brisket - I prefer Jack Daniels Oak chips.

Hope this helps.

I use a Weber kettle and prefer the chunks. I have pretty much abandoned using chips in the Weber, BUT, I am glad I learned how, cause sometimes you have chips and not chunks. I have done cooks with sticks also, particularly when I am at sister's, as her hubby doesn't have charcoal. One thing I have found is that in a Weber kettle the smoke can become concentrated and it does not take a lot of wood added to the charcoal to get a good smoke flavor. It sounds like you are new to smoking, may I suggest you read the Blue Smoke thread on this forum as well.

I use butts for pulled pork, although you can approximate with country style pork ribs if they do not have a whole butt. I like oak and hickory for pork and beef, I really like the Jack Daniels chunks for beef, I like apple, cherry and alder for chicken.

You can buy some nice chunks of different woods on eBay - find the ones you like and order in bulk.
Me and mine like apple wood for poultry & pork and cherry for beef or a combo of the two so they are what I buy the most of (MHO) occasional hickory and jack daniels. As long as you get the sweet blue it's All Good!

Thanks All

Hey,

Thanks every one for your help, this is a great forum and you are some great folks :eusa_clap

Michael

Back