MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #8986
spareheat
Found some matches.

Originally Posted by chobint

Great idea. I've been having trouble keeping the temps low for long times. After about 1 and a half to two hours the temp starts climbing to 350 and won't stop unless I completely snuf it out and start again. When I look inside the WHOLE basket will be burning. I switched to a paint can that I burned holes in. Using 6 prelighted coals on top, I am able to get three hours at 275 until it needs reloading. However, this look's like a better way to ONLY burn a set amount of coals at a time.

For quick and easy grill placement; make two of the grill support bolts stationary while the third bolt slides in and out.
spareheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #8987
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

use what you got - but I doubt you will need a full leaf blower to inject the air - a shop vac will probably give you more than enough. Of course understand that you will be pealing off all the outside paint as well.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #8988
10_Bears

So much effort and work, which is not a bad thing, but why not get the drum sand blasted and get cooking.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #8989
10_Bears

Question for those with drum lids and not kettle lids on their UDS's. Is the weight of the lid on its own enough to create a seal or am I better off using the locking ring for a tight seal.

Another question I have is regarding paint. Everyone says to use high temp paint, if I paint the drum in high temp then a normal paint colour in sections over that, do you think it will be ok? I see people with stickers on their drums so assume it would be ok, but would like to hear from the Brethren.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #8990
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10_Bears View Post
Question for those with drum lids and not kettle lids on their UDS's. Is the weight of the lid on its own enough to create a seal or am I better off using the locking ring for a tight seal.

Another question I have is regarding paint. Everyone says to use high temp paint, if I paint the drum in high temp then a normal paint colour in sections over that, do you think it will be ok? I see people with stickers on their drums so assume it would be ok, but would like to hear from the Brethren.
When I did a burn out on my drum it warped the barrel opening a tad bit so when I put my lid on it kinda snaps on. Its a perfect seal. Also I think you would be fine with the paint when I'm cooking at 250 on my drum I can touch it without burning myself. They don't really get super hot on the outside. Or at least mine doesn't.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #8991
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm just gonna burn mine real good and go from there. I have a wire brush on a 4.5" angle grinder that will take care of the rest.....hopefully LOL
Time_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #8992
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

I agree about the paint. On my first UDS I used regular paint and have had drum up to 350 and have never had any problems with peeling or anything. I'm building my second one now as a gift, and will be using just regular paint. Not sure if I will spray or roll though.

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #8993
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_1 View Post
I'm just gonna burn mine real good and go from there. I have a wire brush on a 4.5" angle grinder that will take care of the rest.....hopefully LOL
Actually all I did is scuff up the old paint on the barrel and rolled black right over it.Once again, no problems at all!
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #8994
Hud
Knows what a fatty is.

I do my burn out first, then just use 97 cent Wally World spray paint! Works great!
Hud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #8995
Vulcanus
Found some matches.

Hello from Italy

I want to begun to built a simple but very good UDS/BDS and then probably I'll built a RF Smoker.
I haven't a 55 Gallon Drum at one's disposal; so I begin to find other things and I found a tube of 59" (height) X 27.5" (diameter).
Because of his uncomfortability i though on cutting the single tube in three pieces like in the photo.

I need some advices and tips&tricks to built a good single intake UDS/BDS like the Sean "Puffy" Coals project. (forum link)

Thanks to all,
Have a nice day.
Vulcanus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #8996
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post
Actually all I did is scuff up the old paint on the barrel and rolled black right over it.Once again, no problems at all!
I'm talking about the red liner on the inside. I don't really care about what the outside looks like.
Time_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #8997
BigKev
Got Wood.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1131834...05869951124898

The beginning of my R2-BQ UDS project. Head is the bottom of a 22.5 OTS, and I removed the leg holders. The lid of that same grill had the flange cut off of it, and the flange was then welded to the top of the drum to create a docking collar for head. I used the bottom because I wanted R2 to have the right dome shaped head. I am leaving the One Touch mechanism in place to use as a exhaust dampener.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #8998
sjm845
Got Wood.

Default A man and his can!

What's up fellas...I wrote a basic article on UDS Theory (What a great idea for a college course!) on our new BBQ Blog on our website. I plan on doing a running column based on my experiences with the UDS at home and in competition. Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://tellyouwhatbbq.blogspot.com/
SLOATSBURG, NY
[URL="http://tellyouwhatbbq.com"]TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM[/URL]
[URL="http://facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]@tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!
sjm845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #8999
Hoosier1960
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Harold

@Vulcanus, That should work. I would possibly shave a few inches off the middle section. I think 8" there would work.
@BigKev, Looking good there! Keep it up!
@SJM845, It's always great to pass on knowledge learned!
Weber Silver Gasser, UDS, Weber 18.5" Silver, Weber Redhead Stainless Performer, Blue Weber 22.5 Gold, 18.5" WSM, Mini UDS, Oklahoma Joe Bandera, Pit Boss Coppertop Vertical Pellet Smoker, Pit Boss Pro 1100, Thermopen so fast it has flames :-D
Hoosier1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #9000
Hoosier1960
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Harold

I want to thank everyone that has started and contributed to this thread and the wealth of knowldege it contains! I have read all the posts starting at the beginning when it already had 8500 posts. I can't wait to see it hit 10,000!!!!!
Weber Silver Gasser, UDS, Weber 18.5" Silver, Weber Redhead Stainless Performer, Blue Weber 22.5 Gold, 18.5" WSM, Mini UDS, Oklahoma Joe Bandera, Pit Boss Coppertop Vertical Pellet Smoker, Pit Boss Pro 1100, Thermopen so fast it has flames :-D
Hoosier1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker