MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #31
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal251 View Post
I'm getting tired of my sub part cooking knives that I have.... Today it was tough to cut up a measly onion. It's really farking me off, hehe

I am looking at the Victorinox cooking knives and they seem to be pretty decent.

Any recommendations on a general purpose knife, cleaver and paring knife along with a knife block or are knife blocks no good?
I'm all for new toys in the kitchen, but even the best new knives only stay sharp for so long. Get yourself familiar with sharpening a knife. It's not difficult, and it will extend your relationship with whatever knives you buy.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #32
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
The Dexter-Russel Sani-safe look to be pretty nice but a bit more pricey.
x2! have had mine for over 15 years, love them.

Good thought on the kitchen store, yes find what you are comfortable with.
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #33
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Happy to take time sharing my knowledge, but unhappy not to be appreciated!
I appreciate you
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #34
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

I gotta find me a place that will let me try out some knives or at least hold the package.

I might try on of the Sams Club knives and the worst thing that oculd happen is I mess it up by sharpening it wrong if I try sharpening my self.

Any ideas on certain brands of Whetstones to use?
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #36
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I gotta find me a place that will let me try out some knives or at least hold the package.

I might try on of the Sams Club knives and the worst thing that oculd happen is I mess it up by sharpening it wrong if I try sharpening my self.

Any ideas on certain brands of Whetstones to use?
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Wh...esForSale.html

Old 02-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #37
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I appreciate you
Sometimes I need a good cry and to lay in the fetal position and suck my thumb a bit...I live for thanks.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #38
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

If Victorinox knives are in a price range you are comfortable with I don't think you can go wrong. In my 30 years of selling this brand I can't recall anyone coming back to me saying they didn't like there knives. I would recommend an 8" chefs knife a 3 1/2" to 4" paring knife a 6" flexible boning knife and if you don't have a 10" butcher steel I would invest in that also. Unless you have a specific need for a cleaver it wouldn't be on my must have list. I like a butcher block for home knife storage. A knife bag is great if you use your knives away from home. I hope this helps.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #39
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/9541/z...sman-knife-set

Love this set, for the price it is a really good set of knives and they sharpen easy.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #40
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Default Re: General cooking knives

There are a lot of good videos on sharpening out there. Google and YouTube are your freinds.

Bestsharpeningstones.com and chefknivestogo.com both have decent stuff for sharpening supplies. From basic stones and strop to japanese choseras.

If you're a bit obsessive like me you might want to look at apex edge pro or wicked edge.

Google wicked edge Richmond addict for an interesting demo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #41
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

I got a block with Victorinox knives (on sale) when a local BBQ store went out of business. I added a 7" santoku to the set. It's my "other half's favorite. I like the 8" chef's knife. The boning knife is handy as is the long slicer. I particularly like the handle material. Easier to change your grip than with rubber handles but less slippery than a wooden handle. Priced right, too.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #42
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I would like to toss these other knives like these crappy ginsus...yes I said Ginsu. Also we have some Cutco knives that my wife doesnt want to get rid of.

I think getting a 10 inch chef and maybe a 8 inch chef might not be a bad idea. I am looking at them on Amazon. Any reccomendations on a knife steel?

Is there a place online that I can ship my knives to get them sharpened at or is that usually a local only gig.
Save the Ginsu knives. (You may want to cut a can... )
I found a use for my Ginsu knife, I carry it in my Fishing Tackle Box.

Invest a little time and learn to sharpen your own knives...
THEN buy a few good knives.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #43
AZScott
Take a breath!

I would buy a 10" chef knife for around $75-$100, a decent curved blade 6" boning knife and then I would buy an Apex Edgepro. Starting out, a decent chef knife and boning knife can handle pretty much anything. The key is to keep them sharp and the Edgepro will excel at that. Additionally,a bread knife is great for slicing ribs and brisket so pick up a cheap dexter 10" one and you will be good to go.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #44
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I would like to toss these other knives like these crappy ginsus...yes I said Ginsu. Also we have some Cutco knives that my wife doesnt want to get rid of.

I think getting a 10 inch chef and maybe a 8 inch chef might not be a bad idea. I am looking at them on Amazon. Any reccomendations on a knife steel?

Is there a place online that I can ship my knives to get them sharpened at or is that usually a local only gig.
Why don't you like the Cutco knives? Cutco knives has free resharpening and they come to your house to do it, my mom uses them in her commercial kitchen and loves them.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #45
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

i have several Victorinox's and Dexter-Russel's and i'm confident you'll be happy with them. great knives and i dont have to worry about losing a mortgage payment if(more like when) they go in the dishwasher.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote