MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #16
Libertarian
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaQ View Post
I have a BQ Grills 36 x 48 and that is about small as you want to go for a
110 lb pig (less head and feet). Talk to John at Alveron Cookers he will build about anything you want. When I took the cooking class in Summerville we cooked a whole pig on one of his charcoal cookers and it turned out nice. Like someone said a Lang 84 with double doors and slide out rack would be an option also.
Why Alveron over BQ? Simply proximity?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #17
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeisgood View Post
I know it's just me, but I really do not want to cook and eat something that is still looking at me. I'll take my pork and beef and chicken parted out at the butcher shop please.....but that's just me...
Man I'm the opposite, I think that everyone should know where your food is coming from and that something had to give it up for me to get it. Seeing one whole makes it hit closer but like you said, each to own. I guess we've been killing hogs yearly ever since I was small and I'm 25 now, so I was just brought up that way and am use to it. Love knowing who handled and where my meat came from. Control over the whole process!

By the way Lib, you said you are getting a true pig cooker probably. Did you mean it will be propane powered then since you said most of them are? I think that most people agree that stick burners give better flavor and flavor is all that matters with Q no doubt. I don't have experience with that though, just wanted to remind ya before you made the purchase and didn't look into that part too.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #18
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbaughn View Post
Man I'm the opposite, I think that everyone should know where your food is coming from and that something had to give it up for me to get it. Seeing one whole makes it hit closer but like you said, each to own. I guess we've been killing hogs yearly ever since I was small and I'm 25 now, so I was just brought up that way and am use to it. Love knowing who handled and where my meat came from. Control over the whole process!

By the way Lib, you said you are getting a true pig cooker probably. Did you mean it will be propane powered then since you said most of them are? I think that most people agree that stick burners give better flavor and flavor is all that matters with Q no doubt. I don't have experience with that though, just wanted to remind ya before you made the purchase and didn't look into that part too.
Oh, I know where it comes from. I've dressed many a deer, rabbit etc, and cut them up for cooking. I don't put them on a spit and eat them while they're looking at me either.... I've never butchered a hog because I don't raise them. Butchering them is not what bothers me, eating them whole is just not my thing....not that there's anything wrong with it..
smokeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
Libertarian
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbaughn View Post

Propane is popular around the Carolinas for cooking pigs but the best barbecue joints in Eastern North Carolina still cook with wood and coals. I'll probably buy a wood/charcoal pig cooker like the one below. I know propane is easier but if I wanted easy I wouldn't be here.

http://www.bqgrills.com/Charcoal-Woo...%20Cookers.htm

Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #20
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I've lived all my life in NC, and I've never seen a pig-pickin' where the pig was cooked on propane, ever. Maybe at a restaraunt or comp they do, but not so much in real life. I've seen hundreds of pigs cooked, all over coals from burnt down wood.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #21
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew
Default Pig Cookers vs Traditional Offsets

IMO if you can't stand the sight of your food looking at you then you should have enough respect for the animal not to eat it.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
Libertarian
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
I've lived all my life in NC, and I've never seen a pig-pickin' where the pig was cooked on propane, ever. Maybe at a restaraunt or comp they do, but not so much in real life. I've seen hundreds of pigs cooked, all over coals from burnt down wood.
I don't doubt it but all you have to do is look at the number of people selling propane pig cookers in North and South Carolina - there is a big market for them. I find a lot of barbecue folks in South Carolina don't worship at the alter of wood and charcoal the way we do. That's different in NC, particularly in Eastern NC but there are still a lot of propane pig cookers up there.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #23
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeisgood View Post
Oh, I know where it comes from. I've dressed many a deer, rabbit etc, and cut them up for cooking. I don't put them on a spit and eat them while they're looking at me either.... I've never butchered a hog because I don't raise them. Butchering them is not what bothers me, eating them whole is just not my thing....not that there's anything wrong with it..
Agh I gotcha man, I guess I've just got use to it, and even then I understand that everyone is wired differently. If we were all wired the same we wouldn't have all the variety of barbecue we got, so I guess that it's a good thing really. (Why isn't there a beer toast and only this tea one?!?!?! LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Propane is popular around the Carolinas for cooking pigs but the best barbecue joints in Eastern North Carolina still cook with wood and coals. I'll probably buy a wood/charcoal pig cooker like the one below. I know propane is easier but if I wanted easy I wouldn't be here.

I hear ya on the wood. Before I started using wood and charcoal I was on electric and I just don't like it anymore. I haven't even used my gas grill in forever, I always go for the Performer. Just a ton more flavor and more primal to me, which is what makes all this so enjoyable and so much fun. If it was super easy we wouldn't have anything to tend to and work on!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #24
ChiefBrock
Knows what a fatty is.

I live in West Ashley and have a Meadow Creek PR42 and can do up to a 100lb hog on it. I used my buddies offbrand a few times the past couple years when I do one for Christmas but even he likes my setup and he is a Bessinger! :) :) I just got this one in February of this year...so still learning what it likes and such but so far has been uneventful.

You are more than welcome to come by and check it out anytime...

I have done ribs, tenderloins, wings, pork shoulders and a whole pig on it so far.....everything has come out great in spite of my shortcomings. LOL

Let me know if you want to see it...

I drove up and got mine from dealer in NC.....and have some brochures and stuff too if you are interested in checking them out. I might be cooking something Saturday while working in yard....so would even be better for you to see. I usually use lump wood (Stumps or last time bought Royal Oak from Walmart)...but just got some nice competition wood briquets by Kingsford from Costco to try this time.....and then have some oak in back yard I use for extra smoke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0190.jpg (61.0 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0227.jpg (71.2 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0229.jpg (85.2 KB, 229 views)

Old 03-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #25
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

As a kid I helped my father do pigs and lambs in a pit made from cinder blocks. Top was two metal Piggly Wiggly signs. Burnt a lot of wood.
Made a lasting impression on me.
I've thought several times about building one under an old Maple tree in my back yard... just never got around to it.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #26
Utah Jake
On the road to being a farker

I cook 100 pounders on my Lang 60. Added bonus is the crispy skin the reverse flow gives you, kinda gives you a sizzle grill with smoke.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #27
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post

Wow Lib, thats a sweet cooker. If you get it please show us a cook or two, I would love to see that bad boy in action!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #28
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker

come up to Newport nc April 5th they have the biggest whole hog cooking contest in the US happining over 80 different cookers also check craigs list
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #29
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock View Post
come up to Newport nc April 5th they have the biggest whole hog cooking contest in the US happining over 80 different cookers also check craigs list
Wow, I lived in Newport until I was 9. I might just make the trip!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #30
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Wow, I lived in Newport until I was 9. I might just make the trip!
come check us out I will be flying the brethren colors
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->