MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Finally a CL score on a 22.5 Weber Kettle! (Questions) (Pics)

I've been wanting a Weber Kettle for a while and check CL daily to see what new gets posted. I've seen so many folks on here that have gotten great deals and have been dying to get one myself :). Most of the deals I have found on 22.5 Kettles have been over an hour away and I didn't want to drive that far.

Finally saw a listing yesterday in the city I live in (link to that thread below). He had picks and it was a white weber kettle that he said he bought at an auction. I thought it was strange that it was white and guessed from what I know and you all helped with that it was painted. He wanted $40, but I knew it was older from the pics and the wooden handles that looked really worn. I asked how the grates were and he said they were "good".

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=105616

So I found out he only lived like 3 miles down the road and I went to check it out. Could tell immediately it was painted, but I didn't care about color so long that it will cook. Then I saw the grate and I would say they were in better than "good" condition considering how old it probably was.

I got it for $30. Not the cheapest I have seen, but since all prior were an hour away I saved some money in gas too :).

So now questions. The white paint is old and has a rough texture. If I wanted to get some high temp black spray paint could I just spray it on there without sanding? I'm not trying to get it looking brand new or spend a lot of money and really don't mind the white, just in general if I wanted to paint it could I just spray the sucker down? Then any paints that are glossy/shiny??

Here it is sitting next to my WSM. Gonna get a cover for it today.

Here are how the grates looked when I got it. A little scrub and they will look like new.

Closer look at the paint job and handles
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

What is the date stamp? Why would anyone paint it white?
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
What is the date stamp? Why would anyone paint it white?
Where is that located? I have no idea why they painted it white. Though I'm thinking of using white again just because :)

Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe the white is actually primer? From the looks of it, I wouldn't count on the white paint being high-heat/grill paint - you may have to sand it off and hit it with bbq paint. If you look over on the tvwb site, there are some posts about how to make new wooden handles, if yo ar so inclined.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Maybe the white is actually primer? From the looks of it, I wouldn't count on the white paint being high-heat/grill paint - you may have to sand it off and hit it with bbq paint. If you look over on the tvwb site, there are some posts about how to make new wooden handles, if yo ar so inclined.
I may check out the handle posts. They really don't bother me right at this moment, but I may try and put something together. Yeah not really sure about the paint. I may just paint over it and see what happens. The texture is rough so the paint should stick fairly well I'd guess. Then after a while if it looks like crap I can always sand it and paint again. Luckily all that matters is the inside will cook food :).

Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Jason TQ

So the vents are stamped EE and i'm searching now for how old that means, but can't find anything yet.....

Old 05-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

EE = 1999

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoTrout View Post
EE = 1999
Ah perfect. So around 12yrs old. I guess this is in better shape than I thought.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
swamprb

I am totally speechless!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

A high heat environment will harden paint, so I would sand it first.

Those are above average grates for a used kettle. Good score!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Is that a 22"? If so you may want to replace the cooking grate with a hinged one. Paint in black, paint it red but please do something with it. I can't believe someone would spray paint a kettle white.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
Is that a 22"? If so you may want to replace the cooking grate with a hinged one. Paint in black, paint it red but please do something with it. I can't believe someone would spray paint a kettle white.
It is a 22. I may check out the hinged grates, though the one it has is really nice for the age. And fear not, I was out at lunch and grabbed some black paint and will be painting it up later today :).

Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
harripooner
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice score. I finally found a 22" Weber in in LA for $30. One was posted used for $60 and about 1 mile away and another had been cooked on 2x and was $30, but about 30 miles away. I had to make the drive and I'm glad i did. She said she had a ton of calls, but she held on to it for me. Her husband was glad that it was going to a good home and gave us a brand new charcoal chimney. We promptely added grill 6 to the family, cooked up some steaks, and I've since modded the lid to fit my UDS.

I bet some sand paper and wire brush, a nice thick coat of primer and a satin paint and you'll be in business. In reality the inside looks good so as long as the paint doesn't burn off and stink up the place you are probably safe just the way you are. If you do decide to paint I satin won't whow as much grease as a flat paint, and should be a little easier to maintain over a high gloss. I've used satin over gloss in my engine bays for the same reason. good luck and nice score!!
harripooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #14
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

There she blows!!!! The white weber!!!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
Wampus

Nice
Farkin
Score!

If it were me (and I'm cheap and don't have time for unnecessary work) I'd just scrub it down, burn it real good and start cookin. BUT....that's just me.

ALTHOUGH.....who can argue that it sure would look purty with some fresh paint and new handles.