Drumroll Please. The MOAB.

brdbbq said:
We are all involved in the naming cermony.. first entry.. MOAB.

There is so much history with this group and the MOAB you should post a picture beside it to explain. :roll: TK is going to $hit.

Bigmofo300lbs said:
(Thru tears....Al finds a way to type) "This...(sniff)...is the most.....sorry. I can't talk right now"

Bigmofo is verklempt.

Talk amongst yourselves.

it can be used as an offset or direct cooker(ala wsm) by closing off the chambers. Also close off the chamber and you can grill on one side while smoking on the other.
Pooh-Bah, this has serious potential for contest cookin'. Start briskets off with all wood, change to "the method" grab a nap, fire up in grill mode in time to set glaze on stuff for turn in. Very well thought out!! Mind if I take some notes? :wink:

kcquer said:
it can be used as an offset or direct cooker(ala wsm) by closing off the chambers. Also close off the chamber and you can grill on one side while smoking on the other.
Pooh-Bah, this has serious potential for contest cookin'. Start briskets off with all wood, change to "the method" grab a nap, fire up in grill mode in time to set glaze on stuff for turn in. Very well thought out!! Mind if I take some notes? :wink:

yup, that was the intention. Firing up in a few minutes to start seasoning and mapping the chamber. Gonna need lots of biscuits to biscuit test this one. :)

Biscuits? Gonna need a fatty or 2 for all those biscuits!

Wasn't the name HMF bandied about at one time? Seems like it would apply here...

Very nice !! So I guess this means we can all stop by for the Q at your house this week end?? :wink: :wink:

Mark said:
Phil:

You can easily straighten out that bent rain cap with a shop vise and/or oxy-acetyline torch

not gonna chance bending the chimney. Gonna cut the rod flush and then weld on a new one. Allready called dave and they are sending all the stuff i need. New damper, rods and handles.

Damn Phil,

Congratulations on the new toy.I could hear the glee in your voice when we talked today. I can't wait to try it out. It's very impressive. The thing's big enough to be a ship. You should do a christening service - ya know, smashing a bottle of champange, or in this case schaffer, on it's bow.

And to think, I was happy to find a bottle of Head Country Rub in the store today....

Fantastic! Is the whole thing custom? I don't recall seeing anything like this in the catalog. You got yours first ya farker!

How many rigs do you have? lol...

Besides the damage due to shipping that is one helluva cooker, Phil. DUDE, YOU GOT A KLOSE!!!!! PINCH YOURSELF!

I think a very appropriate name would be Betsy. Or Bubba, or Sherman...

Been seasoning it for 4 hours so far. Sprayed it down with canola oil and then fired it up. Had a hell of a time gettin temps over 200.. had a fire big enuf in there to burn a barn. kept struggling to et the fire up.. talked to mr kick and was frustrated and not very happy.. then had this brainstormm.. forgot the one thing I preach tro new owners all the time. Dont go by the door thermometer. Door was reading 300, but to get it that high I had to remove the water tray and move the fire into the cookin chamber. Wehn i touched the steel, it was FARKIN HOT!!! BYC never got that hot.. dropped a probe down the chimney and the temps shot HI> Whick means its above 592 in there. Well.. at least i know im getting a good seasoning. :) Gonna put the water tray back in in a little bit a see where temps go with it installed. I'll be back.. :)

Phil, this bad boy looks GREAT! If I had to make one negative comment about the cooker, which is nit picking at its extreme, is that it appears that the only way to get out the water pan is if you were to take out the bottom most rack in the cooking chamber. Is that right?

I know it was designed to get maximum shelf space but isn't that a pain in the patoot to get out the waterpan, especially once that thing starts getting all greasy and well seasoned after so much use?

I am green with envy. Grats!

Dont go by the door thermometer. Door was reading 300

Poop, ya didn't tell me ya didn't have a NuTemp in it! LOL

I'm sure the door thermometer is one that can be calibrated, if there's still an end on it! LOL

Well since i had a 400 degree chamber thats was seasoned for a few hours i thrw in some chicken tenderloins and a few chicken burgers. Cookin 3 feet over direct heat in a 400 degree chamber loaded with mesquite, wow... they were real tasty. Gotta learn this pits characteristics quick if IM gonna start competing with it come March.

There are definately some design issues i have to either change or get used to. Going sunday to the welding shop where my cousin is going to fix the door handles and cut off the bent chimney damper. Klose is sending out replacement parts. I got couple mods im doing now too. May be cutting a door into the back for easier removal of the waterpan. To remove that pan now, it has to exit the pit at a 45 degree angle, or you have to remove the bottom 3 shelves to lift it straight out. Its made of 1/4 inch plate so its gonna be real heavy and cleaning it is going to be a real bitch. Gotta work that issue. What is REALLY cool, is that the firegrate slides the entire length of the chamber. This would be great with briskets and butts. When they are near done, the waterpan can be removed and the grate slid into the cooking chamber. This should help in making bark on briskets or setting glaze on ribs.

Hey, its a prototype, I'll work the kinks out. Fellin better about it now than i was 2 hours aqo. Stay tuned.

Back