Can Goose, Duck, Chicken and Turkey be treated the same way?

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I'll get to smoke my first whole poultry this weekend, but I don't know what my wife is going to pick up tomorrow, it depends what's available and what's on offer.

The plan is to brine and spatchcock the bird, then smoke it in my WSM @ 350°F.

So do the four types of poultry require different procedures, or can they be treated equally?

From a safety aspect, yes.
But, Goose and Duck are much fatter, generally, than chicken and turkey is, generally, leaner.
If you like duck skin then a goal is to release most of the fat to allow the skin to crisp up.
Sounds like fun, no matter what the spousal unit buys!
Good luck.

Duck would be one heck of a way to season your cooker! You'll be greased up for a LONG time!!

Duck would be one heck of a way to season your cooker! You'll be greased up for a LONG time!!
So are duck and goose generally a bad idea to smoke? I know these two are much fattier, but will it really cause such a huge mess? I don't care if it fills up the foiled clay saucer in the foiled water pan of my WSM, so it shouldn't be something to consider a problem, or should it?

Turkey and chicken:
Spatch, brine, dry on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours, smoke.

Duck and goose:
Spatch, brine, score skin, steam for 45 minutes, dry on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours, smoke.

The drying phase will help the skin crisp in both cases. The scoring and steaming for the duck and goose will render a lot of the fat.

I've only done whole duck in an oven. I scored the skin which did help render the fat and left a crispy skin, but my oven was still a mess. I guess I was supposed to put some sliced bread in the bottom of the baking dish under the wire rack that the duck was on. The fat spattered on the hot baking dish and splattered all over the oven! Maybe it was just beginner's (bad) luck!

One idea is to buy a turkduckhen and follow the directions. I agree the duck and goose are hard to keep flavorful when smoking. I like to take duck breasts, pound them out and make pinwheels. Duck wrapped around portabellas, cheese, jalapenos and onion. you cook them over direct heat (grilling).

I don't brine duck, it doesn't benefit from the brine, as it is very moist and fatty. I like to steam the bird briefly, then roast at a high heat. Does better at the high heat, than at a lower smoking heat. I don't spatchcock it either. I prefer to stuff an onion and sliced lemon into the body cavity. Or, I will put some spices into the void and sew it up.

I have two young Muscovy duckling , they don;t suppose to be a greasy as the Peking. but I kinda hate to kill them

Landarc is right. I don't brine duck or goose. I do score the skin to try and let some of the fat find it's way out. Steaming and scoring usually does the trick. Brine is the way to go for chicken and turkey.

I highly recommend a drip pan for duck or goose... that clay saucer could fill up full of grease rather soon and you would have a mess on your hand. I did a rotiss duck on a a gasser some years ago and it was quite an adventure when I realized the shallow pan beneath it was going to overflow with grease.

Definitely save the rendered fat. pomme frites in duck fat rock!

That all sounds very good! For the first try on whole poultry I'll stick with either chicken or turkey, and hopefully it will be a huge success, which is very much needed to convince the family after that epic fail.

But as it seems I'll get a goose fresh from an acquaintance's farm next week or the week after, so this will be quite interesting. I'll post a full report after the cooks as usual. :wink:

Well, it was a late Friday evening shopping, and this is what I got for Sunday's cook:

03_perutnina_chicken_8_09_lbs.jpg

These are three tiny Perutnina Chicken with a total weight of 8.09 lbs. They are already in the brine, which I made with Sal Marina Natural + White Sugar + Black Peppercorns + Honey.

I have put them into the brine whole as they came. Should I have spatchcocked them before, should I do it after brining or after drying in the fridge, or does that not matter at all?

When would be the best point in time to inject?

How much of the wings and legs would I want to foil at the beginning of the cook, and for how long?

After great feasts with chicken and turkey it's indeed goose for my next cook this Friday (a national holiday).

I got a fresh supposedly quite lean all natural goose with a weight of about 7.72 lbs from one of our acquaintance's farm.

As I want to save the excess of fat (if there really is) I don't want to steam first, but just puncture the skin and put a large enameled casserole on the lower grate of my WSM under the spatchcocked goose.

The question is now, if to brine or not, and if I should apply by spiced butter on and under the skin (like I did with chicken and turkey), or just apply rub with or without EVO on the outside.

Oh, and would it be a bad idea, to put raw potatoes cut in fries directly into the pan under the goose)?

I'll post a photo of the goose once I spatchcocked it before putting into the brine (or not).

We do duck a number of ways. My wife makes a very nice Peking duck, but it is about 3 days of prep. For something quite a bit easier, we grill it, but after scoring and cooking the fat down: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122273

Here's the summary:
Score the fat and season the breasts.

IMG_3994.jpg

The primary goal in cooking duck is rendering as much of the fat as possible. I want a thin, and crispy outer layer if possible. I cut the grooves to help with the rendering. I put these into a frying pan.

IMG_3995.jpg

and use the side burner on the gasser. I don't think I've used that side burner for anything else. It is really good for duck though as duck has a LOT of fat and if I tried to do this in the house, I'd probably be divorced:

IMG_3996.jpg

The pic is about halfway done. Look at all that duck fat in the frying pan, better there than in me. The grease continues to fill up that pan. This process takes at least 10 minutes. If this were chicken, it would be cooked all the way through in this time, but the fat really insulates the meat. I'm always amazed how much fat there is. I do not cover because I don't want the duck meat to cook, just the fat. When I've had about enough of this as I can take, I throw it on the grill:

IMG_3999.jpg

I was in a hurry and just used the gasser. One word of caution. That duck fat is an EXCELLENT insulator. Even though I've had that breast in the frying pan, fat-side down for 10+ minutes, the meat is still pretty raw. I grill both sides for about 4-5 minutes, about how I would cook a 1.5"-thick ribeye. I don't want to overcook this. If you take duck past medium rare, I find it tastes like liver.

IMG_4001.jpg

The color on this is redder than it really was, but you can tell that it is still pretty pink. In reality it was between rare and medium rare. Note the fat layer is much thinner and even crispy. On the nearer side, it's thicker than I would have liked. I probably could've kept it in the frying pan a few more minutes, but it's still pretty good.

Back