have at it ladies and gentlemen! BOX PIC.

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
here's my chicken box from rhode island last week-end. what do you guys think?

after looking at it(and i understand y'all can't taste it)what might you THINK it might place? just ballpark.

just for fun, but feel free to critical.

road island chicken.jpg

color is a bit blotchie and maybe a little darker color would help. From picture I would give it a 7 in person probably a 8. keith

Looks tasty, nice layout - 8. The blotch on the center row left thigh is a little eye catching even that out and it's 9's all day.

I know this could probably be picked apart, and judges can find imperfections, and it’s not traditional, but bottom line for me is: “I want some of that!”. I think it looks great…I’d probably give it a 9, certainly no lower than an 8.

An 8 for me. The colour isn't quite "there," and the shape of the right two pieces distract me. I know that's more of presentation than appearance, but in the end of the day, I think this is a good box and not the "best."

dmp

An 8 for me. The colour isn't quite "there," and the shape of the right two pieces distract me. I know that's more of presentation than appearance, but in the end of the day, I think this is a good box and not the "best."

dmp

When you say the color isn't quite there, can you give more info? What is "there"? What do you look for?

I dont' get the color argument. Are we supposed to get a color wheel out as cooks and dial in a perfect shade of mahogony (or other color)? What is the PMS color for chicken? And heck, brisket, ribs and pork for that matter. It looks good and I want to eat it, that makes it the right color for me. Your pieces are big, but they're pretty consistent and the box looks uniform and neat. I'd teeter between and 8 and 9 on this and I'm sure something if I saw it live would sway me one way or the other. Good job.

I would give it an internet 8 probably an IRL 9. makes me want to reach in and grab a piece.

It looks moist, well seasoned, and properly trimmed.

I first wrote that the colour is not "what I like" and then I realized that would sound wrong because I should judge it as presented. Still, I have to ask if it's something that looks "good to eat." To me, it looks good, but the sauce looks a bit thin and splotchy, and I don't know how else to explain it other than it's not quite "perfect" to me and my eyes. I'm often a big proponent on here of judge the meat as presented and not to your personal taste, but appearance is very subjective, and that's what my eyes tell me in the picture. Please let me know if you think based on this I'm judging too little on "as presented," but it looks like I'm pretty on par with the rest of the virtual judges.

dmp

thanks guys!

for what it's worth, the sauce isn't splotchy, the rub is. let's say... something i put in something sloshed around around a bit and washed a bit of rub off while i moved that something. :wink:

I for one like the color. They don't look overglazed. As said above, the box really makes me want to pick one up and bite.

10 second impression: 7

Not enough color for me and not enough shine. Just not particularly appetizing to me. I do like the layout though. Great box arrangement.

I think they look like farkin cr@p! I am still unsure why I ate 2 or 3 of the rejected thighs yesterday! :laugh:

A few things... one, when you have rub that looks splotchy or light in a certain area, have a rub with a very light flavor available to touch it up last minute. Something that adds more color than flavor so as to not mess with your flavor profile.

You're on the right track going very light on sauce but I agree, you need more color. No, not a specific color, just something that makes it look really nice. You have some good color there, just not all over evenly on every piece.

Could use a bit more "shine" on the final product.

Also, be very cognizant of putting your BEST looking three pieces up front. Hide the ones that are shaped like the one on the lower right behind other pieces.

Overall, I'd probably give it an 8. Great job trimming and shaping!

Looks tasty, nice layout - 8. The blotch on the center row left thigh is a little eye catching even that out and it's 9's all day.

+1 agree. I also like that they look like chicken thighs vs. something else.

It's an 8+ in my mind...

Back