Ham Injection Question

thomasjurisd

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've got a relatively simple question and could use some ham help. I'm doing Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham recipe tomorrow morning to take out to the in-laws for our New Years feast and skeet shoot.

In the interest of saving time was thinking about injecting it this evening and putting it back in the fridge until early morning when I'll drop it in the Bandera. Any reason not to inject the night before or is it better to inject the night before?

Help is appreciated....and Happy New Year!

"New Years feast and skeet shoot". I like that. :becky:
I've done the Dr. Chicken ham several times and always injected the night before. That worked for me.

Last edited:
I did Dr. Chicken's ham injection on Christmas day. Because of some time limits and a bit of alcohol abuse I did not do the injection until 4 hours before placing on my UDS.

The ham was awesome and very moist. Overnight might be best but I think with an injection like Dr. Chicken's anytime will make a fantastic tasting ham.

Just pulled mine and put in the cambro to wait for the guests to arrive!

I injected about 4hrs before hand but I think the others have it that overnight would have been better. I had about a 10# ham and it wouldn't take all of the injection that the recipe makes. On thing I did that I thought was a good idea was injecting through the plastic as this held the marinade against the meat.

No idea how it tastes yet but man oh man it looks and smells good!
Good luck!

Back