MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #136
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Why is the Jack the ultimate BBQ championship? It is hardly the most competiive field (across the board) year after year. Most of the Smoke on the Water contests yield a higher calibre field, as well did the Sam's Club contest and the American Royal. Why is the Jack so coveted? I say, take away the draw and it loses a bit of its allure.
It has taken me some time to formulate an appropriate response to this statement.

All of the mentioned contests are KCBS cookoffs. They do not truly represent BBQ in the world.

Where else can you compete against the GC's of Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo, MIM, American Royal Open, and last year's Jack winner? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against 7 GC winners from all over the US? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against winners from all states who have a sanctioned bbq contest? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against bbq cooks who use different techniques and flavors which are regional in nature? The Jack!

How do you get to compete at this contest? You have got be lucky or damn good!

Let's celebrate this event for what it is and does.

My .02 cents worth and yes I got very lucky this year

Mack Yarbrough

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #137
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Why is the Jack the ultimate BBQ championship? It is hardly the most competitive field (across the board) year after year. Most of the Smoke on the Water contests yield a higher calibre field, as well did the Sam's Club contest and the American Royal. Why is the Jack so coveted? I say, take away the draw and it loses a bit of its allure.
Personal opinion...nothing more...nothing less.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #138
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Sorry gotta disagree with his blog post. Would prefer to discuss this somewhere where Harry posts but anyways...

Harry is NOT being flamed because he is successful. Rod Gray is successful and no one has as single issue with his invitation. The issue is whether the 7th contest qualified, thats it.

Completely agree Chris. Using that example. As I have said in some PM's, if the shoe was on the other foot, ie Rod. I would of had a problem with that as well. (I also hate bringing Rod into this, but he is probably the best example for being the TOY points leader and winning his damn 7 cobntests a year for the last 10 years!!! )

I am truly happy for Harry the success that he has had and the success that he will have. But we all want to go to the Jack. No one is more deserving than anyone else as others have alluded. We all need to make sure the rules are followed and absolutely no sense of wrong doing (not necessarily on Harry's part) is going on. I will point the finger at IBCA, but the actual contest also has to be put on the Application for the Jack as well. Which was Harry's responsibility.

Also to those folks that have said that we are ruining your experience. If you really think that any past champion would go out and knock the contest that is a World Championship. You are mistaken. I know I can probably speak for any of the past champions and we ilil defend the honor and prestige of this contest until it goes away. Are we wrong for that?

I also completely understand why folks from Cali are defending Harry. He is one of your own. I respect you all for that. I just hope folks can understand the point of view that us 'others' have. We aren't trying to bring down the Jack, Harry or anyone else. The reason that we have rules is to keep uniformity. To have contests change their results, is not uniform and is not good for BBQ.

these are all opinions that I have addressed with others. I figured it was time that it was aired. I hope the Mods (especially Jorge) can see where I am coming from. I mean no disrepect to any of the Mods and most importantly Phil and his group of Brethren.

Peace out to all.

Scottie
2006 Jack Daniel's World Invitational Grand Champion

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle

Old 09-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #139
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
It has taken me some time to formulate an appropriate response to this statement.

All of the mentioned contests are KCBS cookoffs. They do not truly represent BBQ in the world.

Where else can you compete against the GC's of Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo, MIM, American Royal Open, and last year's Jack winner? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against 7 GC winners from all over the US? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against winners from all states who have a sanctioned bbq contest? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against bbq cooks who use different techniques and flavors which are regional in nature? The Jack!

How do you get to compete at this contest? You have got be lucky or damn good!

Mack Yarbrough
I'll disagree. The Royal is my ultimate. If you win a qualifying GC, that is open, you can cook the invitational if you choose. Win loose or draw you have the opportunity the next day to cook the Open against the vast majority of the teams from the invitational and anybody else willing to spend the money to cook. In my book, that's the ultimate because between the two there isn't anybody that's excluded.

The Jack is incredibly special because in reality you have to win at least twice. You have to win a qualifier, and then you have to win in the draw if you don't have one of the automatic spots. The Jack is the most exclusive and has an aura about it that's hard to beat, but I can't call it the ultimate.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #140
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post

All of the mentioned contests are KCBS cookoffs. They do not truly represent BBQ in the world. Isn't the Jack run by KCBS and use their rules?

Where else can you compete against the GC's of Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo, MIM, American Royal Open, and last year's Jack winner? The Jack! The Royal

Where else can you compete against 7 GC winners from all over the US? The Jack! The Royal, GAB, SOTW Little Rock, ...

Where else can you compete against winners from all states who have a sanctioned bbq contest? The Jack! All GC winners are invited to the GAB and the Royal... more than are invited to the Jack.

Where else can you compete against bbq cooks who use different techniques and flavors which are regional in nature? The Jack! The GAB, The Royal, and many other contests that draw teams from around the country and even international.

How do you get to compete at this contest? You have got be lucky or damn good! This is very true and it pays to be more lucky than good.

Mack Yarbrough
Just putting some perspective on the Jack love affair that everyone seems to have every year. Would I go if invited, sure. But it is a huge crap shoot and not worth the time to worry about. Reality is that cooking primarily in Missouri and Kansas our odds are that we'll never go. And I'm okay with that. We have contests almost every weekend around here and that is a huge plus to competing in our area.

I'm not sour, nor a hater. I just don't get it.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 09-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #141
Scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I'll disagree. The Royal is my ultimate. If you win a qualifying GC, that is open, you can cook the invitational if you choose. Win loose or draw you have the opportunity the next day to cook the Open against the vast majority of the teams from the invitational and anybody else willing to spend the money to cook. In my book, that's the ultimate because between the two there isn't anybody that's excluded.

Well......

You know I had to say that...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 09-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #142
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Well......

Is it KCBS BOD nomination time yet?

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #143
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

Dont get me wrong, I am the biggest Slap Yo Daddy fan out there, hell I personally drove all his gear 12K+ miles last year, so this is no way a slight on my BBQ Mentor and brother.

Having 6 draws to the jack doesnt make you a shoe in for the draw. Harry had 5 draws last year (the most in Cali) yet a team with 1 draw got chosen (All Hogs)

Neil, I cant remember the last time you even cooked a contest, so your take on contests is a bit askew, you have no idea the level of competition out there anymore, and when a contraverys like this arises, people tend to complain. I even raised an eyebrow. Some people compeate for fun, such as yourself, and others take this a hellava lot more serious.

As far as I knew, and the rest of the country knew, Harry was going into the lakeport contest 2 weeks ago with 6GCs, he didnt GC lakeport (and that was a huge discussion, because many of us around the country were rooting for Harry to take it) and all of a sudden there are 7 listed. I have heard both directly, and indirectly that as soon as it was noted, questions were raised. Because it was an IBCA contest the people at the KCBS could wipe their hands of this mess, because the KCBS contests were verified.

The problem arises because on the surface it appears that a contest that wasnt a qualifier was included. The person submitting the app to the people at the Jack has to list all their GCs, and the Jack takes that for face value because Jack submissions were made a few days prior to the draw. If SYD submitted an incorrect or false form, he shot himself in the foot, as there will be on re drawing, and Smittys will still go.

I want Harry to go to the Jack more than anyone, but the last thing I want to see happen to my great friend is people putting an astric beside his name. We dont get enough respect out here in the west, and as a serious competitor I thhink we deserve that respect, not more contarversy.

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]

Old 09-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #144
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Well......

Scottie for President!

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #145
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Don't make me put on my cape and come kick yer butts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Dude, at least put on some boxers...I'm just sayin....
Would that cape be the Barbie Blanket from Little Rock!

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles

Old 09-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #146
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknwhlswife View Post
I know where you live, too.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #147
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknwhlswife View Post
.o0O Note to Self:Kim can talk smack....

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #148
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

I see/read where everybody's coming from, however.....who's gonna strap on a set and contact IBCA? Writing it on here isn't going to get anything done about it. Blaming it on an individual isn't going to get anything done about it, the sanctioning body is the one that sends the list to the Jack, it wasn't Harry.

I don't have a dog in this fight. It just seems silly to keep point/counterpointing and nobody's doing Jack chit to find the answer. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions....

www.TheSlabs.com

Old 09-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #149
Scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I see/read where everybody's coming from, however.....who's gonna strap on a set and contact IBCA? Writing it on here isn't going to get anything done about it. Blaming it on an individual isn't going to get anything done about it, the sanctioning body is the one that sends the list to the Jack, it wasn't Harry.

I don't have a dog in this fight. It just seems silly to keep point/counterpointing and nobody's doing Jack chit to find the answer. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions....

My understanding is that someone has talked with Lynne. Not sure where that went... And I sure wouldn't want to speculate if it's been actually done or not...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #150
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post

How about the Jack people do their own damn leg work and make sure that the teams they invite are they teams they should be inviting.

It appears that you could send in an application with 7 made up grands that you won at your house against 49 imaginary teams sanctioned by the magical imaginary BBQ sanctioned society and get an automatic to the Jack.

They could at least do a little double checking on the automatics...there was only 4-5 of them this year.

Closed Thread