Cooking for 100 people, advice please.

H

hath

There will be about 65 kids and 35 adults. I will be doing Pulled pork sammies. The Boston Butts I get come in a pack of two and are 15 pounds total. Im wondering how many of these do you think I will need to feed this crowd?

I figure 20 people per 8 lb raw weight with a 4 oz serving (kiddos) or 13 with a 6 oz serving (adult) when I cook for people.

Here is the math We use to figure it out.
8lb x 16oz = 128 oz
128oz x .65 (our cooked weight is around 65%) = 83.2 oz cooked weight
83.2 / what ever oz serving you use = number of servings.

now there is prob an easyer way but thats hw we do it

The BBQ restaurant that our church often uses says to plan on getting 5 sandwiches per pound of pulled pork.

However, I know that our church kitchen supervisor likes to be on the safe side so he'll add 50% to how ever many folks he thinks is coming, assuming one sandwich per person. In other words, for 100 folks, he would order 30 pounds of pulled pork. That's with no white bread or corn bread served, just buns, as most folks around here seem to prefer the pulled pork on a sandwich.

Regardless, I can't remember what the average weight loss is during cooking, but I'm almost positive that for just twenty pounds of 'Q, you'll still need to cook more than thirty pounds of pork butt. Hopefully you'll see some caterers chime in here.

Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller

Thanks for the info guys. The sammies will be about the size of a burger. im guessing around 130 sammies at the most. 35-40 pounds was what I was going to estimate but didnt want to be short.

I always over cook
But sending the help home with a few pounds
pays off in the long run

Back