New Smoker?

bamaman76

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What would you recomend to someone who has some smaller smoker's and want's to compete more but not a huge buget. What smoker's would you guys recomend?

What's your budget and what's the transportation you have ?

WSM's are usually the common answer when comps & budgets are in the same sentence.

Man I know this is going to be a dumb question. But what is A FEC and A UDS

FEC = Fast Eddie Cookshack. Pellet cooker made by Cookshack cost around $3,500.00. Works great.

UDS = Ugly Drum Smoker or Upright Drum Smoker. Homemade cooker from a 55 gallon vertical drum. Cost next to nothing or up to a few hundred dollars dependi on how you build it. Works great.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Heck I have been competing with ECB water smokers. You can compete with whatever you have.

July 16-17 there will be a bunch of Stump's Smokers you can check out in person at the contest.

Man, I seem to be getting it from Bama folks today...ouch! :rolleyes:

Here's the event:
July 16-17, 2010 Hot Ribs & Cool Blues BBQ Festival - Anniston, AL (FBA)
Historic Downtown Anniston Business Association - 1012 Noble St. - Anniston, AL 36201
(256)-342-2121 or e-mail: for information

Yea but i do it in good fun I promise. Im A big Tebow fan, plus you guys over the last two or three years almost unstoppable.

The last time I competed I used my Weber 22" kettle, my Brinkmann upright (old, not made anymore) and my Brinkmann SmokeNPit Pro. Total cost between all three of those is far less than $500 and I bought them all at my local Ace Hardware store.

The key is to know your tools forwards and backwards and, as always, practice practice practice!

Are they as good as other smokers? Unless you're Redheart with the El Cheapo Brinkmanns, probably not. But I have cooked dozens of times on each one, and hundreds (maybe over a thousand?) of times on the Weber kettle. These are the instruments that I know best and I love to use them.

It's good to have good equipment. Just know that it's going to take some time and practice to learn whatever it is that you decide on.

Have fun!

(Hmm. Guess I should update my signature.)

Rubs comment on Stumps is solid, but we ended up going with Superior Smokers for our new comp smokers (getting two SS-2's for cooking). Theres a lot of history between Stump/Superiod/DW Kountry Cookers on the gravity feed smokers, but fuel economy, insulation, size and budget all had things we liked about gravity feeds over offsets and pellet smokers. I'll be in Macon on Monday picking both of ours up

Bamaman, interestingly enough, I picked up my used Lang 60 in Anniston this past
summer.

I'm personally a fan of the offset smokers. However, there sure is something to be
said for a nice gravity fed set-it-and-forget-it type of cooker, like the Stumps
and Superior (see above) cookers.

Lang (pigroast.com) and Bubba Grills (bubbagrills.net) both make outstanding reverse
flow offset cookers. If you watch craigslist closely you may find one used; I did.

Rubs comment on Stumps is solid, but we ended up going with Superior Smokers for our new comp smokers (getting two SS-2's for cooking). Theres a lot of history between Stump/Superiod/DW Kountry Cookers on the gravity feed smokers, but fuel economy, insulation, size and budget all had things we liked about gravity feeds over offsets and pellet smokers. I'll be in Macon on Monday picking both of ours up

Those crimson and blue twins sure will look nice! :biggrin:

I actually have a Chargriller offset smoker and a Brinkman bullet smoker. I am just looking to upgrade and try not to spend A ton of money. "GOT TO KEEP THE WIFE HAPPY!" Lake Dogs are you coming to Anniston this year to compete?

The key is to know your tools forwards and backwards and, as always, practice practice practice!
As always, the Jayhawk is the smartest bird!!! (KU mod!)

Bamaman, interestingly enough, I picked up my used Lang 60 in Anniston this past summer.

I'm personally a fan of the offset smokers. However, there sure is something to be said for a nice gravity fed set-it-and-forget-it type of cooker, like the Stumps and Superior (see above) cookers.

Lang (pigroast.com) and Bubba Grills (bubbagrills.net) both make outstanding reverse flow offset cookers. If you watch craigslist closely you may find one used; I did.
I too love my Lang (A.K.A. 'The Mistress'). It's the only cooker that we take to a comp and the only one we need.

While they aren't all that cheap new, you can sometimes find them used on CL. I've seen other cookers that, IMHO, don't cook as well for a lot more money.

Back