MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
Against The Grain
Full Fledged Farker

Default My first time being a judge

I was in the Dallas area today, and knew about a bbq cook-off in Colleyville TX from a friend from another forum, I had met him ( Redneck Cooker) at the Houston Rodeo cook-off. I said if I could get away from the Elks conference I would come see him. Well I did and we walked together to the turn in area, and was then asked to be a judge.

I have to tell you some of it was some of the worst bbq brisket I have ever had in my mouth.

I'm just saying this because some folks need to THINK what the judges have to smell, taste, and look at.

One team turned in their brisket fat side up. Several teams left all the fat on them (I’m not sure if there is a rule about trimming but it didn't look good, and taste like s&%). You have to think how good your Q looks and, it might be an hour before it get's tasted, by the first group in this case, then get's passed over to the next table.
So that fat is just fat by then.

We had plenty of water and crackers, and dills. I wish I had a spit bucket too. After we at the first table talked about it when we could talk, about the tasting we had the same options.

I'm only writing about this because I want you to think!

Some still had their sauce on it.
Some you couldn't cut and use a fork (because it fell apart).
Some still had jalapeños.
Some were very, very dry.
Some were no smoke ring at all. I had only one that was too smokey, but gave a better score compared to the other sorry entries we had.

I was real disappointed that more competerors don’t use the good tip’s that they can get here, and other bbq forums, and turn in a better product.

I don't compete and only cook for our charity team, our recipes have not changed in twenty-five years. That way we have the same product, and taste all the time. We never hear complaints about what we serve, and have a good following at the events we do.

I’m just giving you guy’s something to think about when you compete.
Someone has to be in charge!
Clean Clothes and aprons.
Be clean, in your area, and where gloves when handling food. ( Folks are watching)
Folks watch what you are doing. ( Don’t have a bunch of drunks(visitors), sitting around)
Watch your language! (A lot of folks bring children)
Keep your product in Ice Chest or a Frig. ( Who wants to see a bunch of chicken lying out in the sun.)

These are only my opinions shoot me if you can find me.

And always cut Against the Grain!

Member Lighthouse Charity Team
Elks Lodge 126
Against The Grain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

An hour between turn in and testing?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Did you have any you liked? Maybe you were just unlucky enough to only sample bad stuff. I know there are plenty of teams out there that could cook you the greatest brisky you have ever tasted in your life. Hopefully you will get the opportunity to judge again, because it sounds like you were pretty disappointed by the experience, but feel that you will eventually be redeemed.

Thanks for the feedback though, it is always great to hear about things from the other perspective.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

That sounds like a non sanctioned local cook off run loosely on ICBA rules...

Don't judge all comps by that one...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I looked it up and it was sanctioned by LSBS which sounds pretty good on their website. I didn't see right off where they train or certify judges.

http://www.lonestarbarbecue.com/

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 03:44 AM   #7
Mutha Chicken BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Lighthouse, Very nice points you have made about sanitary conditions. Most if not all the teams that I have had the oprotunity to view do follow those. It is a shame that you were given such a bad experience in judging.

But one little tip to you, Do not enter another contest with your exectations as to what you will recieve. That gives false scores to teams attepting to compete. You can't expect a team to turn in your brisket recipe.

If you are going to judge again, Make sure you go in with an open mind. Each Piece is to be judge on it's own merits. Not up against the other pieces next to it, Or what "you" consider good brisket.

Lastly Thank You for taking the time to judge, If were not for the judges, Well we'd all be in a big fist fight in the parking lot arguing over who's was best.

KCBS CBJ
Mutha Chicken BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutha Chicken BBQ View Post
Each Piece is to be judge on it's own merits. Not up against the other pieces next to it, Or what "you" consider good brisket.
Good advice for KCBS contests, but other sanctioning bodies have different rules for judging. I couldn't tell from their website what LSBS's rules for judging are.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Speaking of sanitation ... what about team trailers/prep areas? Recently I saw a team's trailer that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years - inside or out and it was in plain site for the public to see inside.

It's wasn't a pleasant sight and I believe they were doing food prep inside of it. Does KCBS have any enforceable regulations regarding sanitation of food prep areas?

I wouldn't want to judge the food coming out of there.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

why don't you post this on the forum that redneck & you hang out on? not to many guy's come over here that cook LSBS some IBCA guys do.

Did you pay attention to any of the instructions that were given to you before judging started?

I do appreciate you comments especially about being clean & sanitary mor cook need to be
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
thillin

A couple of us cooked this comp. There were 70 teams there. Some locals cook just because. Alot of recognizable great comp cooks were there. There were a number of new cooks at the cooks meeting and locals that only cook that comp. On top of the parties Friday night, I don't doubt that there was some bad brisket. How many did you judge?

This is an annual charity cookoff for Texas Special Olympics that's well run. I'll do it each year they have it.

BTW, I got final table in chicken and turned in a really good brisket. Would have been great if the flat wasn't so small.

Sorry to the judges that got my tough ribs. They looked and tasted great, but 3-2-2 didn't work on tenderizing them spares.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Speaking of sanitation ... what about team trailers/prep areas? Recently I saw a team's trailer that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years - inside or out and it was in plain site for the public to see inside.

It's wasn't a pleasant sight and I believe they were doing food prep inside of it. Does KCBS have any enforceable regulations regarding sanitation of food prep areas?

I wouldn't want to judge the food coming out of there.
Right out of the 2009 rules....
16) The following cleanliness and safety rules will
apply:
a) No use of any tobacco products while handling
meat.
b) Cleanliness of the cook, assistant cooks,
cooking device(s) and the team’s assigned cooking
space is required.
c) Shirt and shoes are required to be worn.
d) Sanitizing of work area should be implemented
with the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon
of water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.
e) First aid is not required to be provided by the
contest, except at the election of the contest
organizer.
f) Prior to cooking, meat must be maintained at
40°
F or less.
g) After cooking, all meat
:

i)
Must be held at 140° F or above OR
ii)
Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows:
(1) Within 2 hours from 140° F to 70° F and
(2) Within 4 hours from 70° F to 41° F or less
(3)
Meat that is cooked, properly cooled,
and later reheated for hot holding and serving
shall be reheated so that all parts of the food
reach a temperature of at least 165° F for a

minimum of 15 seconds.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #13
DocStl
On the road to being a farker

"Some were no smoke ring at all."

Smoke rig should be overlooked as it can be chemically reproduced, KCBS says it should not be part of appearance scores.
But it does look pretty when its there! lol