Looking for good Barbeque in N.C

Smokin J

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey, I'm visiting some family here in Cary N.C., and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to get some good Q. I have seen a few places so far, but they look like chain restaurants. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :razz:

I have a friend who lives somewhere back there in NC. Here's what he says . . .

"There are no good BBQ joints in the Carolinas. They think BBQ is shredded pork shoulder with limited to no smoking in a weak-assed sauce. However, what the Carolina's do have are great crab cakes. Tell em to find some good high end shrimp and grits. Now that's good Carolina eatin. But for BBQ, stay in KC!

Cary is in the research triangle about 2 hours from here, by the way. Peter"

Hmm . . . brethren road trips . . . cool! Anyway - that's what my friend Peter has to say RE: what he finds in the Carolinas.

I'll be on the look out for some shrimp & grits, but I need a fix.......There's got to be a decent place around here. I'll let you know if I find one. Maybe I'll just put some thing together myself. I'm sure my sister and her husband wouldn't mind if I make pit in the backyard, and do some real back woods cookin like we do in upstate NY.

I'll be on the look out for some shrimp & grits, but I need a fix.......There's got to be a decent place around here. I'll let you know if I find one. Maybe I'll just put some thing together myself. I'm sure my sister and her husband wouldn't mind if I make pit in the backyard, and do some real back woods cookin like we do in upstate NY.
Yeah - or in the primitive camping area at Clinton Lake where there's plenty of naturally fallen wood and people like me to cook with it . . . my home town/place. Who needs a formal cooker, eh?

Don't listen to anyone about no good BBQ in NC or near Cary. (Note my location) The closest to Cary is Bulluck's in Durham. It's on Hillsboro Road which is just down I-40 and NC 147 from Cary. About 45 minutes away. In the other direction is Wilbur's in Greensboro. Take Us-70 for about 1.5 hours and you will get there. It's worth the drive.

Allen and Sons in Chapel Hill - Period, end of story...

try Perry's in Black Rock outside of Asheville, good hole in the wall kinda place. There was a place in Asheville that was part of a small chain, very NASCAR, I would stay away from there, not that good

Back