MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #10876
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

RustyPup,
Nice drum - excellent insights.
Enjoy!

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #10877
65BAJA
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
I picked up 2 new metal drums with no liner for $30 each. (Posted in another thread). I also scored some cheap expanded metal to make my baskets. I went to a local steel supply store and picked up two 12" x 48" sheets (enough to 2 baskets) for a total of $15. If you have a steel supply store in your town, see if they have remnants, that's why mine was so cheap. It would have cost me $40 for that amount of metal at HD.
Where did you get the drum? I'm in Sacramento and would like to get one also.
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #10878
RustyPup
Got Wood.

There's a member here named Rodney who's in your neck of the woods, 65Baja. He knows of a source for reconditioned drums in Sac that sells them for a reasonable price - if you're not into going the scrap metal dealer route, that is. Maybe shoot him a PM and ask him for the source? I know he posted that info here in this thread, but buggered if I can remember what page it's on.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #10879
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BAJA View Post
Where did you get the drum? I'm in Sacramento and would like to get one also.

Do have a place to burn them out or not
If you need a couple Im just South of Sac and can get you a couple.

They will need to be burned out as they do have a liner but it was not bad at all to remove with a hot fire.
They need no mod to drum for a weber lid the lid fits right on as well
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #10880
65BAJA
Found some matches.

I work in Sac but I live up the hill a ways in Shingle Springs. I can burn it out but would prefer to buy one without a liner if possible. Where are you at south of Sac? PM me.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #10881
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

PM will be sent

Old 05-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #10882
65BAJA
Found some matches.

Thanks OB racer. Remo sent me the PH# to the place he got his. I'm going to try that first as they are not lined. If that doesn't work out I'll get back with you about the lined ones you have.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #10883
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

No problem anytime let me know.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #10884
CambuiAl
On the road to being a farker

Default New UDS build in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

First time poster from Sao Paulo, Brazil, and very grateful to all you people for these posts. I am only on page 618 so far, but am working my way through as a rite of passage!

I have started my first UDS - some parts are hard to come by here, and a Weber would cost over US$400 here, so no chance of my finding one of them lying around unwanted! However, I did find someone who can weld for me (I am learning) and some suppliers of the expanded metal - I have not found anyone who will sell me less than a few hundred metres of it yet though...

Here's what I have got so far:

The Drum and Lid:

The insides before the first burn and clean:

The charcoal basket I made - not sure about this, and am trying to replace with expanded metal if I can get some. I am also sourcing a pizza lid to weld under this to collect the ash

I have 2 x 3/4" air inlets for the base, with nipples to close them off, and a 1" ball valve type tap for the main inlet, which I will space evenly, about 2" up from the bottom of the drum. At the top end, I am using 3 x U-Bolts to support my grill, when I get it made.

The lid seal seems ok, but I am wondering about using clamps to seal it better, or one of those barrel levers to close it. I saw someone here selling a type of silicon seal (red colour) by the metre, normally used for oven doors - any thoughts on this?

I don't think I will have room for a second grill, as my first one will need to allow for a flat lid for the foreseeable future, but it's a starting point. I will post some more photos once I make some progress.

Anyway - as an aside, one of the biggest learning curves for me has been finding out what ABT's and Fatties are. For some regional flavour, one of my first cooks is going to be a 'Cupim' which is the hump of a Bramha style bull - it's not unlike brisket in many ways, and really benefits from a long cook at low temps. Not sure if you have this in the US?
CambuiAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #10885
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like you have a great start on your first UDS CambuiAl. Your charcoal basket should work fine unless that's galvanized wire or it's too small in diameter and might burn out quick.

Never seen a Cupim but we do have Bramha cattle here.

Good luck with your build.
Traeger Lil Pig

Last edited by Mr. Bo; 05-15-2013 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: spellin :)
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #10886
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

You have a good start. I use a flat lid as well and it works just fine. I use a 2" pipe about 9" tall as an exhaust.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #10887
CambuiAl

@MR Bo - thanks. I bottled out on the charcoal basket as I think that IS galvanised mesh :(

I tracked down someone in Sao Paulo just today at

http://www.armetais.com.br/produtos.html

who is making a new basket for me, with some help from some photos from this site! I feel I have cheated somewhat, but I did need someone to make the grill for me anyway, as Weber is not available here at reasonable cost.

That metal sheeting with the circular holes 'chapas perfuradas' is most commonly used as grill material in Brazil, and I did see someone who had made their entire charcoal basket from it. The only doubt was if the ash could drop out, or if it would end up putting out the coals because it can't fall through. I will see what this guy comes up with - he seemed pretty animated about it, although my Portuguese is fairly limited when it comes to metalwork vocab!

@Peddler - Flat lid is the way to go for me, and I am quite happy with that. I am planning on using the 2" hole for a chimney pipe and another 3 x 3/4" outlets with nipples that I can close if I need to, either for rain protection or to control the temps. I will have to see how snug a fit the flat lid is after my burn this weekend, but I am sure I can make that work.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #10888
RustyPup
Got Wood.

.....and DONE! WOW! Reading this entire thread from post #1 was an epic, almost 4-week mental workout!

I think the most frustrating part of the whole experience is reading a question that I know the answer to, and seeing that said question was posted in like 2009...

Two cooks in with my UDS, and I'll tell you that I love it. I open the ball valve and uncap the other 2 nipples, dump a 15lb bag of KBB in the basket, start 12 KBBs in the chimney, then dump them onto the unlit when they're ready to go. I watch the oven thermo through the Weber exhaust holes, and cap 1 nipple when it hits 150°. I cap the second nipple at about 180° and close the valve about half way. It gets up to about 230° -250° and chugs right along for as long as I've needed it to - rock steady. I have absolutely no complaints at all.

I gotta wait until June 1st for more project money, then I'll be adding handles and a thermo. I'm already thinking on another build. I told you that y'all were a bad influence...

Old 05-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #10889
Long Ball Larry
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I finishedy first UDS today I I think it turned out really well...I sure cooks well. Smoked some wings and baby back ribs and had no problem keeping it at 230 for 5 hours.
Long Ball Larry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #10890
CambuiAl

Default Build on the way!

So today I assembled all the parts and got cracking. Drilling the holes worked well - the fit was perfect.

The drill bit for 3/4" pipe parts: I did snap both of the drill guides in getting this done, but that's mostly because I am new to drilling metal.

I tried out the holes on some thin metal first before drilling the barrel - it all fit perfectly and threaded straight in:

The three air inlets in - 2 x 3/4" pipes and 1 x 1" pipe for the ball-valve:

One of the 3/4" inlets with the cap showing:

These are the u-bolts I will use to support the 2 grills:

Starting to grind out the inside:

The 1" ball-valve:

The lid - stripped of paint, and with 2 new air inlets and the handle:

That's it for now - the barrel is burning away and the outside paint is melting off, but I wont be getting anything more done until next week, when my grills should be ready (no Weber here :( )

Couldn't have done this without this great thread!

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker