MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #10231
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

Fory, I dont know that I would use that blazer swisslube barrel. Swisslube is a water soluble cutting oil used in machine shops. Just my humble opinion.............
cheapbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #10232
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbeer View Post
Fory, I dont know that I would use that blazer swisslube barrel. Swisslube is a water soluble cutting oil used in machine shops. Just my humble opinion.............
hehehehehee.... that's not my picture... that's from a post from NORCOREDNECK, who seems to be a "guru" in the UDS world.

In that post, he describes step by step how to build a UDS.

My barrel was used for somekind of PEACH.....

However, I believe that once burned, there should not be a problem with a barrel.... fire kills everything.

I have a torch/weed burner.... it would be interesting how hot the metal can get with it... at least mine got "white hot" :)

Old 11-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #10233
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1skey6 View Post
My neighbors are going to love me. I heard that the propane burner sounds like a jet engine. I am going to HF to pick one up if I can't find a friend with one.
hehehehe..... that's nothing.....

Call your buddies and start burning... you can't imagine all the jokes they'll come up with....

Old 11-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #10234
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1skey6 View Post
Do you also mount a thermometer on the smoker body? I'm wondering if I need to with my Maverick 732. I don't have a dial thermometer so it'd be yet another expense.
I have a piece of a 2x4 that I set it on, on top of my lid.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 03:21 AM   #10235
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Oops

Last edited by Just BS; 11-03-2012 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: double post

Old 11-03-2012, 03:21 AM   #10236
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
I post this question in earnest, in the hopes of beginning a civil discussion
on the subject of Barrel Burning.....This is something I have pondered on a while..
Riddle me this, if a food grade barrel that has the methyl-ethyl-poly-bad-stuff liner, or not, in it, gets burned out completely to bare nekkid metal and is thought to be safe to BBQ with, why then is the run of the mill barrel, that contained stuffs without a liner be considered an unwise choice if it also is burned out in the same fashion???....
And I'm talking the reddish-white, glowing metal kinda burn........

Thoughts???
My initial thought that if the lining is made to touch food than it is inheritantly safer than say, a drum that had cyianide in it. Having said that, who knows what the chemical reaction of the liner is once heated. So therefore, your argument has merit.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #10237
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

If we all stay away from everything then none of us gets anything done.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #10238
funugy
Take a breath!

@N8man I believe that if the barrel is burned hot enough you should not have a problem. The problem is that like in my first burn the lower 3/4 of the barrel got hot enough to burn the exterior paint off, but the top 1/4 did not get that hot. Thus the reason I still used the weed burner.

Now with all that said, since one may not be 100% certain that the entire barrel was heated to a degree that will sanitize/neutralize any harmful toxins in the barrel , it would be prudent to start with a food grade barrel if possible.

Luckily I found food grade barrels, but if I did not, I would have still used them and taken the same precautions. Besides, as I said before; just because the barrel originally was food grade, it could have had a second storage use before we got it.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #10239
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Ugh. So I got to the barrel place and went thought the barrels. Wouldn't you know it. The food grade ones had frozen concentrated apple juice...so it had the freakin red liner. The guy didn't realize that was what I meant by liner.

I bought it anyways because I needed a barrel. I started googling different ways to get it off. Apparently there is a mix opinion about how dangerous the liner really is. Since I can't do a burn, I figure i have three choices:

1) hit it with a weed burner and try to get it off. Half tank of propane is $9.
2) fill it with a good portion of coals, lay it on its side, and let it burn. I read that the coals directly on the sides will get it off. Two bags of briquettes is about $14.
3) leave it as is and season it a few times

Thoughts?
Wh1skey6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #10240
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can have it sand blasted out I would not leave the liner in it. As to an unlined drum containing chemicals a good hot fire will purge it of all toxins.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #10241
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Sandblasting here is $60 ish.

What about the turkey fryer idea? Someone on here suggested cranking up a propane turkey fryer and placed the drum upside down over it. Propped it up and drilled some holes. Would that work?
Wh1skey6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #10242
N8man
Babbling Farker

I have read it described that red liners are also known as "the dreaded red liner"
and can prove to be a double handful of hard work and wringing sweat in the removal of same....

I shopped around for a reconditioned barrel to use for my build. In the reconditioning process the drums get blasted in a furnace then repainted on the outside and a rust inhibitor sprayed in the interior..I burnt that sucker good when I got it home....
Here's my burnout, from a couple thousand pages back.....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=405

"Fire Good!"

Granted I did not have a liner to deal with excepting for the sprayed on inhibitor, but I still managed a complete burnoff of the drum
both inside and out by the amount and positioning of the wood I used
as the fire burned.....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #10243
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
I post this question in earnest, in the hopes of beginning a civil discussion
on the subject of Barrel Burning.....This is something I have pondered on a while..
Riddle me this, if a food grade barrel that has the methyl-ethyl-poly-bad-stuff liner, or not, in it, gets burned out completely to bare nekkid metal and is thought to be safe to BBQ with, why then is the run of the mill barrel, that contained stuffs without a liner be considered an unwise choice if it also is burned out in the same fashion???....
And I'm talking the reddish-white, glowing metal kinda burn........

Thoughts???
I'm *not* a chemist or physicist or metallurgist, but it makes sense to me that the spray-on liners aren't liquid enough to penetrate into the porous steel of the drum the same way liquid chemicals may embed themselves only to be released over time into food. So I'd think once burned off, the red / tan liners leave the steel pretty clean and ready for sealing via seasoning burn, like cast iron.

My 2 cents.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #10244
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Built my drum!

Well folks I got my drum mostly built today. I used the norco method of building. I didn't take a ton of detailed pics but ill share what I have. I ended up welding the nipples into the drum and also welded my fire basket. I think it turned out good. I just need handles on the drum and gotta figure out something for the basket and ash pan and it'll be ready for a test burn/season. Here's the pics!

Time_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #10245
DJnKY
On the road to being a farker

My opinion on barrels.........

Many are expressing the opinion that you need a "food grade" barrel.
"Food grade barrels" speaks to the liner in the drum.

I would rather have a drum that had some sort of oil (cooking oil would be my favorite) in it rather than the "remnants" of a burnt off epoxy(?) food grade liner. A food grade drum was safe for food contact with the liner. That does not mean the burnt-off-liner barrel is "food grade" safe. I do agree with the idea that the liner burnt off, the metal sanded, and the drum seasoned is safe!!! Barrels that contained cooking oil, motor oil, degreaser, especially water based products when burnt, cleaned, and seasoned are IMHO safer.

Thanks from: --->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker