MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #10216
Ramiro0727
Got Wood.

This barrell came from a FedEx hub mechanics shop. Thats how they receive there antifreeze in. I guess I'll burn the heck out of it. Thanks
Ramiro0727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #10217
SailorMike
Got rid of the matchlight.

Several days ago, someone asked about plugging the holes in their lid. Some barrels depending on what they originally contained, have lids that have 2 bung holes (a large & a small), some have 1 large (offset, or dead center) or none at all. My lid had none of the bung holes, so I drilled the 8, 1/2 inch holes for exhaust. To plug them, I got wine corks. I cut one end down with an exacto knife(like an octagon) then rounded it off with a dremmel tool. Works like a champ. the soft cork makes a good seal and didn't burn up.
SailorMike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0103.jpg (54.4 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0105.jpg (51.8 KB, 651 views)
SailorMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #10218
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm still reading through this entire thread and cannot search yet. I wanted to ask this question even though it is probably covered somewhere later on from where I am reading.

I have a source of barrels not too far from me. Non food grade is $12, food grade is $24. The food grade do not have a liner (woohoo!).

I live in a suburban area and I'm not sure if my neighbors would appreciate a burn. (Funny enough, I used to live in the middle of the city and no one there would care if I had black smoke rolling out of my back yard for half a day).

Questions:

1) Is the extra $12 worth it to get a food grade? The non food grade used to have cleaning stuff. Neither have a liner. Remember, I don't think I could get away with a big long burn.
2) Could I get away with using a propane weed burner on the non food grade? Is that hot enough to burn off any chemical that might, you know, make my next child grow a third arm?
3) If I go with the food grade, do I need to burn?
4) If I go with the food grade, do I still need to take a wire wheel to the inside?
Wh1skey6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #10219
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

No way in hell would I use a drum that had cleaning stuff in it.

Go with the food grade and spend the extra $40 to have it sand blasted. Worth it on many levels.

Then season it w/oil, fill it up w/charcoal, open all your intakes and fire that biatch off. Mine got up to over 450* for over an hour and I figured that was hot enough.

Good luck.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #10220
funugy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1skey6 View Post

Questions:

1) Is the extra $12 worth it to get a food grade? The non food grade used to have cleaning stuff. Neither have a liner. Remember, I don't think I could get away with a big long burn.
2) Could I get away with using a propane weed burner on the non food grade? Is that hot enough to burn off any chemical that might, you know, make my next child grow a third arm?
3) If I go with the food grade, do I need to burn?
4) If I go with the food grade, do I still need to take a wire wheel to the inside?
My opinion would be to get the food grade to be safe, even though I still wouldn't trust that nothing bad was ever in it. The $12 difference isn't big enough of a difference to take a chance. If you did go with the non-food grade I would be curious as to what was actually in them. Either way I would clean with soap and HOT water and burn them, either with wood or a weed burner, Then clean again with soap and hot water. Just make sure it gets really hot.

As for with wire wheel, I didn't do that to mine since it was unlined. A good burn and good wash/scrub with a green-weenie should do the job.

Cheers!
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #10221
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Just BS: Thanks for the advice. Sand blasting up here is pricey. I called a few places and they want around $60, depending on the joint.

Funugy: I am going with the food grade. I was trying to avoid the burn but I don't think it can be helped. I've heard of people putting in those long burning logs and letting it go to town. I figure it should keep the fire under control. Since it was food grade, you think that would be good enough?

Old 11-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #10222
funugy
Take a breath!

That is a tricky question. The goal is to get the entire barrel as hot as possible. I might have gone over board on mine, but this is what I ended up doing;

I put in about 8 splits of firewood and lit her up. The billowing smoke only lasted till the fire got going, then it was pretty clear after that. I did get a burnt paint/chem smell as the exterior paint burned away and ashed white. I had the barrel on 3 6" tall blocks to keep it off the ground and the grass underneath was still burnt, I kept spraying water under the barrel just to be safe. I let the wood burn for about 4 hours, I did add a few more splits once it got going. The problem was that only about 3/4 of the lower part of the barrel got hot enough for the paint to completely ash over. I didn't notice this until the next day as I let it cool over night. This bothered me as I wanted to be certain that the entire barrel was heated enough, so out came the weed burner and I torched it with that. The rest of the paint ashed in a hurry, and I was able to get the metal red hot in short order.

Next time I will just wash, torch with weed burner, and wash again. And by the way, my barrels are marked as being food grade holding "biodegradable, Kosher Coconut Oil." I got the barrels from a steel recycling plant. Since I didn't get them directly from the original user/owner there was no way to be certain nothing else was in them so I may have just gone overboard.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #10223
FORY
Got Wood.

Good thing I'm at the the border with Mexico.... a barrel is about $9.00 USD... and the sand blasting is less than that over there.

To fill a small gas tank [for the torch] is about $4.00 USD :o

And most important... BEER is cheaper!!!!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #10224
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a patch of rocks where a hot tub used to be. I was going to set the can up on cinder blocks and do it there.

How much propane did the weed burner consume? I heard it wasn't worth it to do the entire barrel.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #10225
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
How much propane did the weed burner consume? I heard it wasn't worth it to do the entire barrel.

Probably half of a tank... but not the whole tank for sure....

but what counts is the fun of doing it...

Old 11-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #10226
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

My neighbors are going to love me. I heard that the propane burner sounds like a jet engine. I am going to HF to pick one up if I can't find a friend with one.

For those that are using prob thermometers, where are you position the ambient probe?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #10227
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
For those that are using prob thermometers, where are you position the ambient probe?
I drop my thru the exhaust opening and lay it on the grate...
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #10228
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
I drop my thru the exhaust opening and lay it on the grate...
Do you also mount a thermometer on the smoker body? I'm wondering if I need to with my Maverick 732. I don't have a dial thermometer so it'd be yet another expense.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #10229
funugy
Take a breath!

For my digital I stick the probe through a wine bottle cork and I trimmed the bottom of the cork to fit snugly into the grate.

Another option to remove the exterior paint is to use some paint stripper, and once the paint is off the torching is just to sterilize the barrel, which shouldn't take long.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #10230
N8man
Babbling Farker

I post this question in earnest, in the hopes of beginning a civil discussion
on the subject of Barrel Burning.....This is something I have pondered on a while..
Riddle me this, if a food grade barrel that has the methyl-ethyl-poly-bad-stuff liner, or not, in it, gets burned out completely to bare nekkid metal and is thought to be safe to BBQ with, why then is the run of the mill barrel, that contained stuffs without a liner be considered an unwise choice if it also is burned out in the same fashion???....
And I'm talking the reddish-white, glowing metal kinda burn........

Thoughts???

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker