MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #10081
elyhill
Found some matches.

geo is that a 55 gallon barrel or a 30 gal.? The angle of the pic makes it seem small.
elyhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #10082
geo
Knows what a fatty is.

It's a 30

Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #10083
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner14 View Post
Thank you for the advice. I think I will try it this weekend. The bird was good but the skin was very leathery... Methinks you are on to something. Thank you!
No, thank you for posting. Birds are cheap, but they can also be delicious. The faster they cook, the better the results IMO of course.

I love chix skin, so I'm biased..

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #10084
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

Question here: I ended up with a very large charcoal basket 17'' across 6'' high, should I fill the whole damn thing up (20#) and let it die out when I'm done?

I have a removable lid and was going to poke exhaust holes instead of making a stack. Will my coals burn out if I have no way to cover the exhaust holes?
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #10085
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberger View Post
Question here: I ended up with a very large charcoal basket 17'' across 6'' high, should I fill the whole damn thing up (20#) and let it die out when I'm done?

I have a removable lid and was going to poke exhaust holes instead of making a stack. Will my coals burn out if I have no way to cover the exhaust holes?
No harm in using a full basket if you light up with the minion method for a slow burn and control your heat with the vents early. Yes, you'll want to cover or close exhaust holes if you want your fuel to extinguish... a sheet (or maybe several sheets) of magnetic strip might just plug your vent holes if you haven't installed nipples you can cap, or whatnot.
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #10086
thebuddha
Got Wood.

Hook 'em Horns!!! ;-)

Old 09-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #10087
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Yes and yes. Put as much coal in as you like- you can snuff em out when you're done cooking. However you will need to cover your exhaust vents to snuff out the fire. I personally have a 2" stack on mine with threads so I can use a pipe cap, but I've seen some folks use pipe plugs to close the holes in their lids. Either way you gotta do somthin to cover the vents as`well as close the intake to stop the burn.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #10088
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Took a minute to find the thread but I saw this and........Some cool parts For options..

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...oker-kit-parts
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #10089
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

IMHO this depends on what type of charcoal you use. Some say the Briq's are like a sponge, and will draw moisture, but lump can be re-used. So in the case of briq I would suggest, and will practice myself from now on trying to either load just enough for the run, and or let it burn out in it's own. I HAVE noticed reusing briq before I read they draw moisture that a basket containing re-used briq acted a little "weird"

I'll differ from the others, I have never had a way to close the vents in my lid, and either lump or briq smother just fine if I just close all the air intakes.

Last edited by willbird; 09-23-2012 at 08:32 AM..
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #10090
CRider
Knows what a fatty is.

I shut mine down when I'm done cooking...I leave the leftover briq's in the basket and re-use them. Smoking right now, there was about 5lbs or so leftover from my last smoke 2 or 3 weeks ago).

Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #10091
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRider View Post
I shut mine down when I'm done cooking...I leave the leftover briq's in the basket and re-use them. Smoking right now, there was about 5lbs or so leftover from my last smoke 2 or 3 weeks ago).
it may depend on where we all live too, and the weather, but when I say it acted weird, if I had to describe it, it actually acted like the UDS was just running on what I dumped in to start it, until the heat dried the briq out that were left in there ?? The temp really dropped off, and I had to shake the basket (by thumping the uds and it's cart) to get the fuel load to light off.

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #10092
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Before starting up the UDS for the first time. Do I need to remove this rubber ring from the inside grip of the lid? It is technically on the outside of the drum once the lid is in place.

Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #10093
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes,remove all of it.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #10094
midwestsmokeboy
Full Fledged Farker

Has anyone used the big poppa kit and if so how big of a hole for the sliding vents. Just curious.
midwestsmokeboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #10095
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 View Post
Yes,remove all of it.
Will do!
Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker