MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #10036
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Ordering some expanded steel from Grainger but too many choices of sizes. I'm not trying to make this overly complicated but I would like to order something that is going to last so getting the right size and thickness of steel would be preferred. Anyone help the newbie out here?

Thanks
Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #10037
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampler View Post
Need help with drum choice. I have available for free 2 drum choices which I am planning on picking up this sometime this week.

1. Is an open top 55 gal drum which was used for veggie oil (this is lined and is pretty messy looking but food grade). Cleaning and removing the liner maybe a big hassle with this one.

2. Is a closed top 55 gal drum used for Iso-alcohol which appears to be very clean but unsure if this is lined or not. The top will need to be cut off and then customized for Weber style cover.

Any opinions on the above?

Dana

I would get the #2 drum and flip the drum and have the 2" bung hole on the bottom for a drain to wash it out. Cut out what was the bottom of the drum to place the weber lid on.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #10038
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampler View Post
Ordering some expanded steel from Grainger but too many choices of sizes. I'm not trying to make this overly complicated but I would like to order something that is going to last so getting the right size and thickness of steel would be preferred. Anyone help the newbie out here?

Thanks
Most people use 3/4"
I don't now what guage they use.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #10039
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
most people use 3/4"
i don't now what guage they use.

#9 - 3/4

Old 09-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #10040
Edward Alt
Got Wood.

Default KC barrel source ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2m9 View Post
Go here and buy a new unlined barrel for $30.

https://plus.google.com/113365974928...ut?gl=us&hl=en
Thanks for the link jcm2m9! I've started looking for a barrel source. Will have to check this out ...
Edward Alt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #10041
N2entropy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I get all my drums locally from Windsor True Value for $7 each unlined. They call them burn barrels and have 60+ on hand all the time. Check your local tractor supply house or feed supplies houses and ask for burn barrels. These even include the tops and rings for $7!

LINKY : https://plus.google.com/111149392689...ut?gl=us&hl=en

This is in Virginia since I didn't mention it earlier.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #10042
fball1208
Knows what a fatty is.

Need some help, got a drum awhile back did an inital burn out and cutting of the air holes. Unfortunatly somethings came up at home and i havtnt had time to finish it. My problem now is that the drum is rusted inside and out. How in the H#LL am i going to get the rust off. Thanks IN advance
fball1208 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #10043
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Have it blasted. I'm sure you can find a local paint and body Place to do it pretty cheap
Daggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #10044
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Hello all, I have a couple of questions for you drum vets about temperatures inside a drum smoker.

I have a home-made drum smoker (you can see here) made from a 30-gallon drum. I've experimented with putting thermometers in different locations inside the drum. Two are on the side just above the grills, one is just under the lid, and another on the top grill using a clip (therm and clip from

).

I've noticed that the differences between each of the thermometers can swing wildly during the course of a 10-hour cook. For example, the two side therms will be 15-20 degrees apart for an hour and then slowly creep together until they're only a few degrees apart. The side therm just above the rack can be 25 degrees less than the therm on the grill, just a few inches away. I've done enough cooks to verify that this happens to some degree every time but there seems to be no pattern. For example, the side therms will be close for an hour and then go in different directions.

I've verified as well as I can that the therms are not touching the food nor are they wet from sauce/etc. The therm attached to the grill perhaps can't be trusted because it's touching metal (through the thin aluminum clip) but I would have thought after a few hours that the inside temps would have settled down.

My guess at what's going on is just pockets of (relatively) hot and cold air created by the convection of the air inside the drum. My questions are:

1) Is this a good guess?
2) Is this a problem? Do most drum smokers exhibit this behavior?
3) If it's a problem, how can I minimize it? Perhaps by rearranging the food on the racks in a different way?

I've thought that maybe insulating the drum with a blanket or cover would help but nobody else seems to be doing that so I doubt it would help.

Thanks for any help!
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #10045
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Well not being an expert I will say that the UDS is more stable cooking something than it is on a dry run with nothing on the grill.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #10046
SkinnyVinny
On the road to being a farker

Default Remember, Safety first, always.

Not sure if this was posted before, I checked the posts around that time but didn't see anything.

Remember brethren, safety first, Always.

Condolences to the family.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...?utm_hp_ref=uk
SkinnyVinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #10047
manther
Found some matches.

A guy in my area has been selling drums for a long time now. He sold me a former grease drum that he assures me had a drop in removable liner. He says he removes the liners himself. The inside of the drum I bought does look very clean. Should I be concerned? Or just clean it out with some biodegradable grease remover like a citrus type cleaner and be done with it?
manther is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #10048
ibmachead
Found some matches.

Just finished my UDS. Mega thanks to everyone on this thread that posted info on how to do it. Looking forward to my first Q. Can't decide what to smoke first. Any suggestions (and tips since I am totally new at this)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-09-17 20.31.01.jpg (24.1 KB, 653 views)
ibmachead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #10049
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

@ Deeg, I have 2 racks in my 55 gal UDS and the 2 will be as much as 75-100* different.
Everything I have ever read, here and elsewhere had said each will develop its own characteristics for how they cook. I have to agree. It is virtually impossible to do everything identical every time.
Daggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #10050
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
I am about to start my first UDS. Because I am lazy and in a remote area I opted for the kit from Big Poppa's. I have my drum. On the side it says it was used to transport ethanol so I am planning to burn it out good but here is the question. I've read a lot about how and why to burn out the drum but I don't recall any mention of what to do about the lid. Doesn't it also need to be baptized with fire? If so, how?

Anyone have an opinion about using a drum that transported ethanol?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Don
I'm preparing myself for not being able to justify the time and money for making my own basket and just going with the Big Poppa basket. Have you received your kit yet?

If so, I have a couple of questions that you (or anyone with experience with this kit) will hopefully be able to answer. Since the website doesn't say and Google, as well as BBQ Brethren, searches bring up nil results, what are the dimensions of that basket? Any idea how many lbs of briquettes it'll hold? Does it appear to be good quality and made from safe materials?

It appears many people like the rubs and such from Big Poppa, but there's only 1 You Tube video (besides from Big Poppa) about this kit and all he says is that it appears to be "good quality". Since I'm a n00b to Big Poppa products, I don't really know if their products are worth the costs or not.
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker