MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #10021
DaQueensQ
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionBiff View Post
You are correct they do work and pretty well.
I did that, and its sooo not worth the propane I would almost rather suit up and dawn the respirator, doubled up hearing protection and dive in with a grinder and wire wheel. I just have an aversion to doing it is all.
That's what I did except you forgot the full face shield and heavy duty gloves and shirt...... It was TERRIBLE........ I'd spend $75 on a clean new drum in a heart beat........
DaQueensQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #10022
moe1967
Got Wood.

I just scored a used 55gal drum that previously had Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) in it. It is a closed head but in outstanding condition. And it was FREE!

Am I good to go?
moe1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #10023
daWreck'n Q
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Starting on my UDS

After reading through, just about every post in this thread; I have headed down the path to the dark side. Picked up an empty glue barrel from work and started burning it out tonight, for tommorow we build!

Last edited by daWreck'n Q; 09-07-2012 at 09:06 PM..
daWreck'n Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #10024
ibmachead
Found some matches.

I'm getting my drum sandblasted to avoid the burnoff and cleanup. Do I need to have the outside blasted too? If so, will grill paint be sufficient to cover the outside surface or another type of paint?
ibmachead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #10025
DJnKY
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1967 View Post
I just scored a used 55gal drum that previously had Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) in it. It is a closed head but in outstanding condition. And it was FREE!

Am I good to go?
Be VERY careful removing the head on any drum that had flammables in it!!!! No sparks.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #10026
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Residue on charcoal basket

I did my first drum burnout last night and put my charcoal basket into the drum at the start of the burn to removal any oil/production chemical residue on the expanded and the weldable steel rod I bent for a handle. While cleaning up this morning I noticed maroon or brick red residue on the expanded steel wall of the basket and handle. Is that going to be a further food safety/removal concern, or just corrosion from the heat during the burnout?
Thanks in advance,
Matt
smokainmuskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #10027
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokainmuskoka View Post
I did my first drum burnout last night and put my charcoal basket into the drum at the start of the burn to removal any oil/production chemical residue on the expanded and the weldable steel rod I bent for a handle. While cleaning up this morning I noticed maroon or brick red residue on the expanded steel wall of the basket and handle. Is that going to be a further food safety/removal concern, or just corrosion from the heat during the burnout?
Thanks in advance,
Matt
Most likely just rust from the burn.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #10028
moe1967
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnKY View Post
Be VERY careful removing the head on any drum that had flammables in it!!!! No sparks.
I used a ball peen hammer and a chisel to get the top off.

More worried about getting the tan lining off. I didn't think a drum that was carrying rubbing alcohol would have a lining but this one sure does.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #10029
DaQueensQ
Found some matches.

A little more practice with my UDS this evening. Cooked up four turkey thighs that I brined for 24 hours and lightly rubbed with a little concoction I made up..... The drum did pretty good at holding around 225*.... I did get a big temperature spike after opening the lid to turn the food, and then of course I over compensated and the temp dropped to 160* for a little while. Seems like closing the intakes before opening the lid is good advice

Tasted great right off the drum. Probably will be even better tomorrow on a sandwich!
DaQueensQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #10030
segen77

I've been reading along this thread, and it's an overwhelming wealth of knowledge. I've decided to take the plunge. I found a place locally that I could get a drum. The down side was I wasn't able to pick it up, and had to have my brother get it. Paid $20 for what was supposed to be a used once fruit container that had been cleaned out and was "ready to be a smoker". Well I went to get it from him and it's got quite a bit of rust, and apparently held some kind of oil. (Not to mention that the lid has the orange liner). So, looking at these pics, should I just try to burn it out, maybe weld an extra piece of metal on the bottom and go for it, or do I need to look for a new drum?

Thank you for your opinion.

segen77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #10031
segen77

sorry for the size of the above pics. I guess I need to figure out how to resize them in the future.
segen77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #10032
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmachead View Post
I'm getting my drum sandblasted to avoid the burnoff and cleanup. Do I need to have the outside blasted too? If so, will grill paint be sufficient to cover the outside surface or another type of paint?
Eventually the drum paint will blister, peel, or crack under any kind of paint you put over it. Maybe you're into the U part of a UDS and if so, go for it. if you're looking to have your paint job last, sandblast the outside as well.
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #10033
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Need help with drum choice. I have available for free 2 drum choices which I am planning on picking up this sometime this week.

1. Is an open top 55 gal drum which was used for veggie oil (this is lined and is pretty messy looking but food grade). Cleaning and removing the liner maybe a big hassle with this one.

2. Is a closed top 55 gal drum used for Iso-alcohol which appears to be very clean but unsure if this is lined or not. The top will need to be cut off and then customized for Weber style cover.

Any opinions on the above?

Dana
Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #10034
moe1967
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampler View Post
Need help with drum choice. I have available for free 2 drum choices which I am planning on picking up this sometime this week.

1. Is an open top 55 gal drum which was used for veggie oil (this is lined and is pretty messy looking but food grade). Cleaning and removing the liner maybe a big hassle with this one.

2. Is a closed top 55 gal drum used for Iso-alcohol which appears to be very clean but unsure if this is lined or not. The top will need to be cut off and then customized for Weber style cover.

Dana
I just picked up a drum that had isopropanol(rubbing alcohol) in it. I didn't think it would be lined, but indeed it is lined with a tan lining.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #10035
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampler View Post

Dana
Pick up both and build 2.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker