MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #9376
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #9377
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

The bottom stand opening is 19" wide to hold a pizza pan for an ash catcher.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #9378
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornia View Post
Lastly....any updated products that work well as 'eyelets' for inserting temp probes into the side of the drum? We're currently using the 12" turkey fryer temp probe...but would like to make things nicer for adding temp/food probes.

Thanks for any and all input!
I use a metal valve stem for the 12" turkey fryer thermometer and a Halex 1/2" watertight conduit connector for the digital thermometer probes.

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...xts/15-416.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I'm working on UDS #5 now and have not found anything better.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #9379
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornia View Post
Hi guys, looked through this thread since we built our 2 drums for Competitons.

But....I can't seem to find specific info. on how folks using their drum with a Guru. I'm an egghead, and understand how the guru works, but wasn't sure of the recommendations for using one with a drum. As we're using these for Competiton, we'd like to use a guru to help with peace of mind through the night (while also getting some sleep!). I also don't see anything specific on Guru's site, regarding a recommendation/adapter plate for use with a drum.

Lastly....any updated products that work well as 'eyelets' for inserting temp probes into the side of the drum? We're currently using the 12" turkey fryer temp probe...but would like to make things nicer for adding temp/food probes.

Thanks for any and all input!
Here is my drum running on the guru

3/4' adapter and eyelets for the probe wires, works like a charm.

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
[/FONT][/B][/I][LEFT][URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockin-Robyns-BBQ-Team/107295966034865?ref=tn_tnmn"]Like us on Facebook! [/URL]
Stop by our website!
[URL="http://www.rockinrobynsbbq.com"]www.rockinrobynsbbq.com[/URL]
[/LEFT]
rolfejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #9380
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfejr View Post
Here is my drum running on the guru

3/4' adapter and eyelets for the probe wires, works like a charm.

That boat cleat handle is awesome......

Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #9381
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I don't understand why you need a Guru or any other assistance. I've built 11 drums and they all work perfect without one.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #9382
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
I don't understand why you need a Guru or any other assistance. I've built 11 drums and they all work perfect without one.
Gotta agree with Skidder, but i've only built 4.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #9383
N8man
Babbling Farker

Doing some upgrades on the DrumPit....Fitting a Weber bottom on top..

Ribbed for Pure BBQ Pleasure...

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #9384
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
I can't explain it but after 2 years mine does not run as effortlessly as it did before. I just bought a Guru.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #9385
BBQBikerGuru
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I love my drum. Simple and easy to use. I just need to find a different lid so I can use the 2 levels of cooking. I'm looking forward to using it soon for my son's first birthday. Going to cook for 75.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #9386
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I am not saying that you need a guru - but will say after using one it makes things so much easier I never want to go back.

Besides being able to sleep for hours during my bbq w/o needing to go check the temps to make sure it is still stable. It is really nice to light a pit - see it is stable, and within 5 minutes go to sleep for the next 5 hrs till morning. Then there is stick burns. Try to stabilize a uds burning twigs - with the guru I set the temp, and can walk away, it can micro manage the burn.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #9387
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

I have often thought about putting a Guru on my UDS for a restful nights sleep.
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

[B][I][COLOR=magenta][U]Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team[/U] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black][U]New Palestine IN[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #9388
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy497 View Post
Y'all expertise needed. After many nights of reading this forum, I finally finished my mini uds. I fired it up to season it, but it's holding the temp at about 360. I have 3 3/4 intakes and 1 3/4 inches ball valve, i closed the ball valve and covered two of the intake holes and also almost closed the top holes on the weber lid, but it's still at 360. Any suggestions? I have two thermometers one at the grate level and one in the lid holes, both reading the same temp.
First thing that comes to mind since you didn't mention it, is how many lit briquettes are you starting with? In a mini, I'd only start with 6-8 fully lit briqs, then catch the temps on the rise. When it hits 200, close off all caps, and leave the valve open. When it gets close to target temp, start choking down the valve to stabilize. You are using minion method right?

It's always better starting off with fewer coals, and catching temp on the way up, instead of overshooting, then fighting to get temp lower.

Another tip, and I'm just guessing here because you gave zero info on how you are setting up your fire basket. Bury your wood chunks in the unlit coals, as opposed to placing them on top of coals. This way, they don't immediately burn out, but steadily burn throughout the cook.

Also, with a UDS style cooker, you always want to leave the exhaust wide open, and control temps with the intake. It's not an egg or an akorn.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #9389
tpenick
Got Wood.

Fired up my brand new UDS today, and I just could NOT control the temperature while using natural oak lump. I ended up opening all the valves and letting it burn hot and quick, then using briquettes instead and those worked wonderfully. Did a couple of fatties and a rack of St. Louis spare ribs. Turned out great. I was very discouraged after the lump temps went crazy, but now I'm doubly excited as the results speak for themselves.

tpenick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #9390
Disconnect
On the road to being a farker

Try with royal oak or kingsford (competition if you can find it.) And be sure not to light too much of it - I usually stick a weedburner down in it and flame until its barely smoking and it gets going pretty well. (Alternately, fire a chimney or less and throw 5-8 coals in on top of the pile.)

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker