MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #4336
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
You have snow already??? You lucky farker.

I have used a leaf blower to get things going before. That is quite exciting.
Just move to Kansas, we have enough air blowing to keep any fire going.
CBJ #31626
UDS
Lots of Weber Grills
Traeger Texas Pellet Grill
My cooking blog
[URL]http://babyboomerboyscookinblog.blogspot.com/[/URL]
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #4337
redbandit98
On the road to being a farker

well, as promised here is a pic of my uds smoker. I did find out the problem, it turned out to be the charcoal. For whatever reason, it sucked up some moisture. I picked up a new bag and was burning at 230 degrees with no fluctuation or need to adjust the valve. Here she is with a crappy paint job..

redbandit98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #4338
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Paint job looks good to me.
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #4339
HARRYSTOWN

redbandit98, Thats what I have been doing wrong, I was putting the pig INSIDE the drum smoker.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #4340
redbandit98

On the inside? Its ok, its a common rookie mistake. hahah
redbandit98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #4341
Burk504
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOne View Post
Use a compressor for added air. WHOOooooboy.
Thanks QuietOne. Air Flow is the solution to almost every project on here. I am not going to do my next burn until I can get my intake holes up to 1". They are only 1/2" now and twice the flow ought to do the trick. I'll break out the shop vac if needed beyond that!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #4342
kusojijii
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Finally posting a picture of my Ugly Drum. I initially drilled holes around the top of the lid but wanted a better control of temperature so I plugged them and bought a large 2 inch ball valve. Been using for a bit and have done a few racks of ribs, two shoulders, many fatties, some moink balls, and some ATBs. I needto get some food pictures but I usually eat it before the camera is found. Added gold rim tires today, $9.99 each from Harbor Freight and some scrap iron for bolted on brackets and a scrap copper pipe axle. I may get a piece of pipe to weld in between the two brackets to reinforce it.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #4343
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

I wish my uds was sitting on gold 3's!!!!!
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #4344
Old Hippie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusojijii View Post
I initially drilled holes around the top of the lid but wanted a better control of temperature so I plugged them and bought a large 2 inch ball valve.
Each to his own but normally there is no need to dampen the exhaust. Some say dampening the exhaust creates creosote which gives food a bad taste. What's your theory now that you have Qed for awhile on it? Do you regulate both intake and exhaust? How much do you dampen the 2" exhaust?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #4345
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOne View Post
Use a compressor for added air. WHOOooooboy.

When you weld the line to the air connection blower/duster use at least 2 metres for the addition to the duster tip, you want to stay at least that far away when you stick the "wand" in the hole and zap the air in. Go with welders gauntlets not fabric and neoprene/ polyester work gloves.

At 1 metre I toasted off a LOT of split ends, and my eyebrows are no longer bushy at all. I even have a rosy glow to my forehead and cheeks.

I've got 1" close nipples, I used a 1/2" shank 10 Step Irwin Unibit, drills from 1/4" to 1 3/8" and a 1" close nipple just fits, with a bit of work. I'm hoping that is enough air going in.

I tried a bimetal hole saw and snapped off two bits, then went and bought the Unibit pricey but worth it. I'm looking now at investing in a knockout cutter if I can find one in the proper size(s). Cutting the air exhaust in the lid is now my next issue. I want at least 2".

If you don't have an air compressor a shop vac with metal extension and exhaust blow it might work. The wife just asked me why I didn't try that rather than lugging the compressor up the stairs and back down etc. .... Cuz you weren't home to tell me that dear.... The bruise on my shoulder will heal.

The End Of My Second Burn
Glad to see the extension worked for you. Just wondering- wouldn't a longer airhose be the easiest solution?
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #4346
QuietOne
Full Fledged Farker

That's a 20M hose, at the end before I moved the compressor close to the drum to try and thaw the things enough so I could get the hose off and rolled, condensation in the tank and the connector froze on and the hose was pretty rigid and I wanted to try and thaw it enough so I could coil it up.

Melted snow all around that drum by about 1.5 metres. I only used a 1 metre wand should have gone 2 metres at least.
QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #4347
jcinadr

Last time I was in a rush and used a leaf blower from the top - man that was some fireworks. I like your wife's idea of using a shop vac on a nipple - will need to work up an adapter for that.

Of course if you vent in propane to that fitting as well, you could easily create a blast furnace to light your coals... Idea came from http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/hmkit.html Talk about a quick way to light your UDS... uhh, uhh, uhh, more power....
Is it wrong to want to line my next barrel with refractory?
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #4348
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

I don't damp my exhaust ever. I think that you will find that the vast majority don't. For me the smoke flavor is way over the top with a damped down exhaust. I get all of my control with the intake air. You can have too much exhaust but 2 inches seems just about perfect. i seem to remember someone telling me that 2 1/4 was ideal but I had a piece of 2 inch pipe laying there so...

Old 10-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #4349
fat_bastard

So I've finally got a drum on the way for free but it is a sealed lid type that I'm gonna have to cut the lid off. Is this the uniflame that will fit a sealed drum? i'm hoping to buy something like that then use the lid and grate and charcoal grate as donor parts. Would this work? http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10828982
fat_bastard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #4350
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

OMG! What a read! Great ideas found here so I started my own. Free barrell and cheap SS fittings. Will post pics soon. Also scored a 22.5 Red Webber kettle for a donor lid. I tried welding tabs to hold my grates but it's not working well. I have 120v welder and set it on the lowest power settings but still blew a hole in the side. And advice on that?

Jud
BlkJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker