pulled chicken question

SkinEz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am smoking a butt, and a chicken for a friend for a non-traditional Christmas dinner. My question is I am cooking it tomorrow, but he is picking up everything up Tuesday. What is the best way to provide the chicken for him. They are eating it Christmas day. Should I pull it, and seal it, and what is the best way to tell them to heat it. I was going to put everything in sealed bags, then put that in foil pans with lids that they can heat in the oven. What temp would you all suggest to get it up to temp safely.
Thanks.:becky:

Man, pulled chicken is about the worst thing for keeping in good quality. I would cook it, part it into large chunks, and vacuum seal it with some chicken broth. Then reheat and pull when it is time to serve. Given that, if you feel you must pull it, then you need to add some moisture and vacuum seal it if possible. Even fully packed ziploc bags. Pulled chicken dries out fast and get jerky like. You will also be ahead if you use primarily dark meat. When reheating BBQ, I prefer to heat at 375°F, since all I am trying to do is get things hot as quick as possible.

What if I did chicken halves. They really want smoked chicken. If I split a couple chickens and seal them whole. Would that work better for them?

I'd split them, and cook them, when they are done put them in a gallon ziplock bag and shock them cold in an ice water slurry. They could reheat in the oven covered with foil to 165* and remove the foil the last 10-15 minutes.

Just got feed back on chickens. Thanks for advice, they loved chicken. They really loved the pulled pork, but the chicken went over well.

Back