• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cook for the Troops

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I find myself starting the process for cooking for a group of 200 people, as a part of a welcome home/deployment picnic at Camp Parks. these are National Guard folks. We will have a group of 200 people, 20% kids (approx.). We may have a few extra, so I am working up a 250 person schedule of foods. What do you all think of these numbers.

foodquantities_zps02f4ec53.jpg

If I was serving a normal group of people, I would be comfortable with this, but, since I have little experience with this kind of feed, I would like feedback.

I would bump all your meats to 5 oz. portions just to have a buffer.

I figure 4 oz. portions on sides. I may go 6 oz. on the mac (if its good) but i think you'll be heavy in sides.

Nice spreadsheet. :wink:

I will adjust accordingly, I was hoping you would chime in. Thanks Bubba

The beauty of this, is that I already have a commitment of 20 pounds of tri-tip and 100 pounds of pork butts

A couple weeks ago I did a fundraiser for my kid's school. I cooked 100# raw, I ended up with a little under 50# cooked, and served just barely over 200 sammiches. I was piling it on pretty good too - i.e. meat falling out of the sammich. The buns were the 4 inch RD buns. I compared prices and buns are actually cheaper at Smart and Final.

I don't have enough expertise to comment on the rest of your plan, but I figured I'd throw in what little I do know since I just did pretty close to the same thing for pork part of it.

I wish I were closer - I'd love to join in. Cooking large amounts of food is my idea of a good time, esp. for a good reason. Keep us posted on how we can get some $$ your way.

You don't need feedback. You need helpers!

Thank you for what you are doing, Bob.

Thanks G, I think that my numbers will be good, especially with Bubba's adjustments. I see your point and appreciate the input. I will need buns and need to fill that spreadsheet out some more.

Pat, we have 8 cooks committed, and at least two more runners. I am sure we will have more as the week goes on. We also have folks reaching out for food donations locally. I am just worried about the beer for the night cooks.

Having done several of these cooks over the last few years with operationbbqmw.org, the only other thing I can offer is to have some Ziploc bags on hand for sending leftovers or meals. It seems that we always send any food left over along with families of the deployed.

Thanks for doing this.

Shane, Larry and I discussed this, and the chart shown above represents what I believe to be the minimums we will need for the tables at the event. We are planning on over-cooking and sending home care packages with the families as well. We hope to get some significant donations from a few of the NorCal guys that work for grocers.

Ideally, and anyone who knows how we Bash, if anyone wanders up and asks, we bring them in, so we will want the extra 50 portions, minimum, to serve any personnel that come by and are curious.

I think you have plenty of meat and would cut the beans and Mac & cheese down to 4 oz portions (63 lbs +/-) and the slaw down to 2.5 - 3 oz portions (47 lbs +/-)
we also have carry out trays on hand to send the leftovers home and with the amounts listed above you will have leftovers, which is a good thing :thumb:

As a Veteran of both the Navy AND Army... Thank you for what you are doing for our heroes and their famolies!

Also, I agree that you should keep your portions of meat what you planned in the spreadsheet, but would consider lowering the portion sizes of the sides.

Everything is moving about now, thank you all for the feedback. Now feeding 350 people. And I lost my dessert table peeps.

Back