MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Blah64
On the road to being a farker

Default Experimenting:Leg of Lamb & "Pumpkin Pie" (Pr0n)

I wanted to have some fun and try out some new stuff for me.

I started with a boneless leg of lamb from Costco. 4.2 lbs. Unrolled it, trimmed off most of the fat and then rubbed it with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, oregano, basil, thyme, cilantro:

Then I realized I didn't have any string to re-roll it it, so just stuck some skewers through it and began the smoke! Mesquite wood for 1.5 hours:

Kept the temp fairly low, to avoid overcooking. Took it off the smoke to vacuum seal it for the Sous-Vide. Unrolled it just for ease. Unfortunately, I can't afford an actual vacuum sealer, so I had to cut some of the leg off to fit it into the Ziplock gallon vacuum bags:

Stuck it in my Sous-Vide setup for ~18 hours at 136°F:

Next came the "Pumpkin Pie". My local farmer's market has pumpkins now, so I picked one up and wanted to make something with it:

Cut off the top, scooped out the innards and stuck it in the smoker for 30 minutes with apple wood, and some leftover mesquite from the leg. Sprinkled some salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, cinnamon & allspice on it. I roasted the seeds with S&P for snacks later on. That inside was just begging me to stick something in it:

Sauteed some onions & mushrooms, cut up a goat meat sausage, took the smaller 'extra' meat of the lamb leg and cut some up as well.

Stuck all this inside the pumpkin with some grated cheese:

I really needed something to hold it all together in there and fill the empty space, so I mixed up some custard and poured it in. Afterwards, stuck it back in the smoker to cook:

Complete!

Sliced up the lamb. Has a pretty good smoke ring, didn't really take any good pictures of it though (since I unrolled it after smoking, the ring is only along one side of the meat).

Blah64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Tasty looking experiment! Looks great from here. Nice job!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good...how was the pie?

Old 09-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Killer job there, that looks quite tasty!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wow that looks amazingly tasty!

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

Holy smokes...that looks awesome!
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Blah64
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomlord View Post
Looks good...how was the pie?
I loved the pie! I thought it was amazing & delicious. But I made it for myself, so I only put in ingredients that I already know I love.

I'm guaranteed to make another like it someday. 'Tis easy enough to just stick whatever ingredients or leftovers I have layin' around in a pumpkin.

This particular pie actually kinda reminded me of the afghan dish 'kadu', which is pumpkin with yogurt and a meat sauce, because of the creaminess of the filling and the lamb.
Blah64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Mighty Fine !
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote