MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
tamathumper
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Disappointed in my second try with ribs

I bought ribs from a different butcher for my second try with St. Louis style ribs. I'm still very new to this, so I can't really tell what the heck is in the package, as in what part of the pig is this?! What kind of cut is that?!

These ribs were very fatty, and there was an extra thick part of the ribs, so I need to figure out what that was.

I used a 3-2-1 that worked so well on the ribs last time, and I put apple cider and spray butter into the foil.

They were very juicy, but they were disappointing compared to the last time, and my wife agreed - we think they were underdone. Great smoke flavor but disappointing texture and pull.

I did some more reading and learned about the bend test, so mental note for next time. Bend the ribs! These were definitely stiff when they came out of the smoker. The temp was 225 for most of the time, although it was a very windy day yesterday so the smoker was heating a lot more than last time when it was 96 degrees and still out.

Today, my first attempt at a pork shoulder (butt?), the boneless half at 3.69 pounds, with no brine.
tamathumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

If the ribs were not falling off the ribs, or very flexible it means they were undercooked.

1. You do not need to keep temperature at 225. Low and Slow is a nice way to relax with your smoker etc, but you can also do very good bbq cooking 250-325 degrees and even hotter. A lot of the brethren here like cooking their ribs at about 275 degrees and can knock out a rack of spare ribs in 4-5 hours. I prefer to cook my ribs at 300-325 degrees and can do a rack of spares between 4-4.5 hours.

2. You can not cook bbq and get consistent results if you are cooking by a hard timeline or by internal temperature. With ribs you are looking for about 1/4in pull back on the bone, and then do toothpick test (probe the meat with a toothpick and if it goes in with very little resistance they are done), or by the bend test. The bend test is if you pick up the ribs in the middle with your hands or tongs, the ends will bend 90 degrees without breaking.

Here is a rack of st. louis cut ribs that I did last week and you can see how they bend but don't break.

For the pork shoulder/butt you are doing. Since it is boneless the way to test for doneness is to either probe it with a skewer and it will go in like warm butter, or you can take a fork to the meat side and twist. If it twists easily it is done. If it had a bone, you could wiggle the bone and if it starts releasing easily, the pork is done.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with above. Get your temps up to 250-275 and you'll get better results. Not only will they cook faster but you'll get nicer carmelization on the meat. When you got about 1/2" pullback and pick em up with tongs in the center and they bend 90* in half, they dun.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
tamathumper

Thanks for the reply! That's a good looking piece of meat! Here's the picture of the finished product, definitely not enough "pull back".

Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathumper View Post
Thanks for the reply! That's a good looking piece of meat! Here's the picture of the finished product, definitely not enough "pull back".

Your ribs have quite a bit of pull back in the picture. Just cook them till they bend nicely. I see you cut your racks in half. If you do that before you put them on the smoker, you might have to use the toothpick test for doneness.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
tamathumper

Here's the before pron of the first butt - with mustard and rub.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
tamathumper

The thin pieces had some pullback, but they were still really stiff, and the really thick pieces did not have any pullback. I think I have to cut them in half to make them fit, but I'll try a whole one next time. I have an MES 30.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
aawa
Babbling Farker

Is this your smoker?

Looks like it should be able to fit a full rack of ribs on one of the shelves if you put it from left to right instead of front to back.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
The thin pieces had some pullback, but they were still really stiff, and the really thick pieces did not have any pullback. I think I have to cut them in half to make them fit, but I'll try a whole one next time. I have an MES 30.
Also if you look at the rack of spares i did, There wasn't much pull back on the bones at all. The thicker bones there was no pull back, the thinner ones had a little pull back. The pull back was very similar to the way your ribs looked.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
tamathumper

So it's the bend (or toothpick) over the pullback... lesson learned. :)

That's basically my smoker, yes. I have a little newer model with updated controls, but I think the size is exactly the same. I'll try putting full racks on diagonally, if nothing else.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
aawa
Babbling Farker

Once you get the bend test down once, you will be able to consistently tell when your ribs are done and you will knock them out of the park!

Get back on that horse and grab a couple more racks to cook! Good luck with your next rib cook.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
tamathumper

Thanks for all the replies and the help!

Old 08-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
So it's the bend (or toothpick) over the pullback... lesson learned. :)

Times are a guide, not a definite. Like those above have stated, only the cook can tell when they are done by bending or with the use of a probe (or as indicated a toothpick)

Good luck on your next cook.. I am sure it will be a success...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
tamathumper

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
T-doh
On the road to being a farker

i have that same smoker, only way i can fit a full rack without cutting in half is prop them up with a can, although i never tried diagonal. i just did baby backs in it yesterday like that turned out very well. i did mine at 275 for a little over three hours. keep it up you'll get there!
T-doh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3-2-1, butt, pork, ribs, shoulder