MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Emu
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Using Jellies as glaze

I'm wanting to use a pepper jelly as a glaze for my pork butt. I've seen threads/recipes saying to use it as-is, others say cut it with sauce/white wine/etc, and others that say cut it, then cook it down to re-thicken.
Is there a consensus? Am I over thinking it?

Also- when do I glaze? I usually finish wrapped in foil, so how would that work?

I've had an account since 2010 and this is the first time I've not found it already answered in a thread somewhere!
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can guarantee you there's no consensus.

I've used pepper jellies cut with Blues Hog with great results. I'm guessing you could use 'em uncut, but I've never tried that.

I wouldn't foil after glazing for fear of messing up the glaze. If you foil, I'd take it out of the foil for the last part of the cook then glaze.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
hokiebob
Found some matches.

I use some homemade jellies for some stuff and I preheat in the microwave first--if the consistency looks good, I go w/it as is, but if it looks thick, I'll cut it with water. I wouldn't cover unless you plan on leaving it on for a long time.
hokiebob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

I've done both ways. Never on pork though. Just try it and see how it goes. I bet it won't suck.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
16Adams

Thank You. Next rib cook in my PBC I'm going to glaze with a mixture of Stubbs sweet and Spicy and a jalapeño jelly mixture. At least one rack anyway.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
landarc

I tend to dilute it, as I find jelly alone is too intensely sweet and singe note. But, more so, if the texture is okay, I don't see why not to use it straight, it will be shiny then.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
TheBill
Knows what a fatty is.

On my ribs, I put some blue hogs on and then put a propane torch on them about 15 minutes before they are done.

My people seem to love that sweet and spicy (from the rub)...
TheBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Never used it on ribs but I once did a bacon wrapped,sausage stuffed pork tenderloin with a jalapeno/corn cob as a jelly glaze and it was fantastic. I glazed the last twenty minutes or so.

Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

I dont know that it would matter but is it Pectin or corn syrup based?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Is what?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Is what?
Read the ingredients as some are corn syrup or pectin based as the thicken agents.It might even be gelatin based(more expensive).

Old 11-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Do a search on the term "habenero pepper jelly."

You will find extensive discussions

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
Emu
Got rid of the matchlight.

You guys are awesome!

borntorun- Not sure, I'm still at school, but I will look when I get home. Is there an identifiable difference?

Mark- thanks for the search term. I tried a bunch of different ones, didn't try that one.

Skidder- Corn cob? Is that a brand name, or is actual corn cob involved?
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

if i'm glazing with jelly i typically go 50/50, jelly/water heated so that it becomes a syrup, but i apply it just warm enough that it flows. i pull the ribs about a 1/2 hour before i think they're done and horrors of horror, i finish them on a gas grill or in the oven to glaze. i can finish them on the smoker, but it means opening the door a lot and if i've got other things cooking i hate to lose the heat. most jellies have high sugar content and if you don't watch them over a low temp you stand a really good chance of going past glazed to burnt. i typically will apply the glaze three times with a brush and then watch for them to set. you can also glaze right before you serve if your ribs are done early and you're holding them. my experience with foiling or wrapping after glazing is that it makes a sticky mess. for me, the glaze is perfect if it isn't sticky to the touch has a nice shine, even coloration and adds to the flavor profile and texture of what i'm serving.

these were glazed with a raspberry preserve with my rib-rub and triple-sec added to taste. it also goes great on duck.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57borntorun View Post
Read the ingredients as some are corn syrup or pectin based as the thicken agents.It might even be gelatin based(more expensive).
pectin