I Can Use Gas & Electric Here? Sign Me Up!

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Pretty much a bait title there :icon_blush:. Really just wanting to see if anyone else might be heading to the National BBQ Festival in Waycross, GA November 4-5??

http://www.nationalbbqfestival.com/index.asp

I thought the last event I could do before the year is out was in Cumming, but got an email on this one and even though it is a little further than I want to drive I might sign up. I called and they still have spots. Looks to be a pretty damn big event with an invitational starting on Thursday.

Ok and back to the title as to not disappoint. Not really wanting to start this old argument up since that horse has been dead and beaten into nothingness. But just wanted to point out you actually can use gas and electric here. The rules say they are allowed (Rule 6 http://www.nationalbbqfestival.com/_pdf/2011/2011%20OPEN%20Rules.pdf).

I kind of like it. These are few and far between I'm sure and as long as everyone knows what the rules are and what the competition allows ahead of time really no one can complain. Well they can :p, but then they don't have to enter. Would be interesting to see how many teams will show up that couldn't because they didn't have non-gas/electric smokers. And of course interesting to see how they finish.

We will be there. Not using any gas or electric, just our Green Mountain Grills. We will be cooking the Invitational and Open. It is our first year there but we only hear great things about the contest. Looking forward to it! Come by and say hello!

I've cooked both the Invitational and Open for about 5 years now. It is a fantastic contest that the National BBQ News puts on that combines rules from the various sanctioning bodies across the country and invites the top teams from the same groups. And yes it is open to all types of cookers, no holds barred :boxing:

The playing field is leveled so to speak and teams come in from all over and even Canada. The payout is big and the southern hospitality is second to none. For some reason a lot of the KCBS teams that are invited choose not to come which is their loss.

The following day is the Open which includes most of the Invitational teams plus any others that want to enter. The whole event is one of my favorite top 3 or 4 contests of the year. If you truly enjoy competing in BBQ contests you do not want to miss it.

We will be there. Not using any gas or electric, just our Green Mountain Grills. We will be cooking the Invitational and Open. It is our first year there but we only hear great things about the contest. Looking forward to it! Come by and say hello!

That is a lot of cooking doing both :p. Would be fun to add an extra day to the competition. I just sent in my application so I will definitely be there. Going to be flying solo for the first time, but should be ok. I'll look you all up.

I've cooked both the Invitational and Open for about 5 years now. It is a fantastic contest that the National BBQ News puts on that combines rules from the various sanctioning bodies across the country and invites the top teams from the same groups. And yes it is open to all types of cookers, no holds barred :boxing:

The playing field is leveled so to speak and teams come in from all over and even Canada. The payout is big and the southern hospitality is second to none. For some reason a lot of the KCBS teams that are invited choose not to come which is their loss.

The following day is the Open which includes most of the Invitational teams plus any others that want to enter. The whole event is one of my favorite top 3 or 4 contests of the year. If you truly enjoy competing in BBQ contests you do not want to miss it.

I'm in now and looking forward to it. Glad I could squeeze in one more this year. I think the "no garnish allowed" put me over the top for wanting to enter :becky:.

I'm in now and looking forward to it. Glad I could squeeze in one more this year. I think the "no garnish allowed" put me over the top for wanting to enter :becky:.

The "no garnish" is great! But, and it's a big but, be aware that the boxes are considerably larger than a 9x9 and plan accordingly.

Rub - Kell told me that they are using standard 9x9 containers because the company that made the larger container quit making them. I will definitely get him to clear it up on the radio show next week.

Back