• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Injection Question

C

cwo2lt

I have a question regarding injection sauces. I've been smoking and bbq'ing for years but had not used an injection until last weekend. My recipe was basic - cup of chicken broth, 3 TBS Jack D, 2 TBS rub and 1/2 cup water. I read somewhere an oil should be used but I can't remember why.
Should I have added an oil or butter?
TIA

We never add an oil to an injection and I can't imagine why you would. There is enough fat in most BBQ meats that there is certainly no need for oil. I would also worry about the taste and texture if oil were added. No oil for me!

Injections are primarily for moisture and secondarily for flavor. Keep your injection simple and try to complement your rub and any sauce. Oil can help moisture but should be used carefully. I don't use oil in my pork or brisket injections, but do use it (mixed with a tinge of garlic, onion, and a little salt) to assure chicken tenderness without the mess of brining.

Thanks guys. Did some more research and I see a few, but not many, injection recipes with butter but most do not have any oil.

Seems injections should follow the KISS rule!

Back