Breaking in Smoker Joe #2 (mini WSM pron)

FamilyManBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Having so much fun with our little guy...decided to make him a friend..
003-1.jpg

...newbie is on the right.

008.jpg

First cook, a tri-tip soaked in Stubb's beef marinade:
001-1.jpg

These little smokers are great reverse-sear machines. My favorite part is after smoking the beef indirect...you can just lift off the top and stoke the fire (I leave the tri-tip on the top grate, with lid on it retains some heat just fine).
022-1.jpg

Once the cast-iron grates are good and hot...the sear!
028-1-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

Cooked some Stubb's chicken marinated thighs on our original joe
005-1.jpg

Sauced with a little Sweet Baby Ray's/apple jelly combo..
014-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

No plated pics. Too busy eating!! Stubb's beef was pretty good on the tri-tip. Wasn't really happy with the quality of this particular tri-tip. Gonna try the marinade again with another TT.

Chicken was good. Skin not quite bite-through. The kids loved the sticky-sweet combo of apple jelly and SBR.

We plan on many more double-barrel smoker joe cooks!! :-D

I'm missing somebody very important in these pics right here!:mad2:

Awesome build and Phoods Bro'!

Thanks Phu!! Yeah, she was around (she loves her some tri-tip, for sure)...think she was playing with the neighbors while I cooked dinner.

How about a photo from a recent comp (was supposed to be a 60's theme)...
008-1-1.jpg

Dang Katie got big!
Tell her "Hi!" and that I don't want her to change her original hair colour.:cool:

Those CI grates...what kind are those?

Man, having a pair of Joes is makin' me jealous enough.... then you show off some outstanding food, then a cast iron grate. :clap2:

Okay, I'll bite. What's the story on the grate?

Those are nice :) I bought a tamale pot to build one with and just haven't gotten started on it yet. I'm jealous of your cast iron grate! I bought one of those for my 22.5 kettle but haven't ordered one for the Joe yet. I just keep uncovering things to spend money on thanks to the Brethren!

Cast iron grate caught my eye too - where'd you get that from? I would ask if you like it but I'm sure the answer is yes!

Nice work all around! :thumb:

Yeah, all, I'm lovin' the cast iron grate. Thought I'd try it out on the smokey joe first. This mini-wsm has become our go-to smoker for family meals.

We're big fans of the reverse-sear. These grates work like a champ here!!

They came from craycort:
http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/

Dang Katie got big!
Tell her "Hi!" and that I don't want her to change her original hair colour.:cool:

Yep, growing up fast, too fast. She's approaching the big one-zero (double digits)!!

Gonna be in trouble if this continues...growing up, red hair!! Gonna be a handfull, for sure!! :becky:

Did you catch the in store coupon deal on Stubb's marinades at Fred Meyers?

$2 a bottle!

Excellent job love the cast iron grates! I may have to get me a set

Sent from my MikFroYo Evo using Tapatalk

Did you catch the in store coupon deal on Stubb's marinades at Fred Meyers?

$2 a bottle!

Yeah, gonna have to get some more!

Loaded up on some when it was on sale at QFC...and saved even more with the stack of coupons the nice Stubb's people sent me (I felt like an extreme couponer :becky::becky:)!! Were like a $1-$1.50 a bottle!!

Back