Pulled Pork Fund Raiser

jrstout

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'll be cooking for a 90 plate fund raiser this weekend and have a couple of questions if I may.

We will be selling a plate with a sandwich, baked beans and coleslaw. My first question deals with serving size. Is a 5oz sandwich a decent size? How about the slaw and beans, do you measure by 1/4 or 1/3 cup servings or by weight?

Second is how much uncooked butts? Is the 5oz serving cooked weight or raw weight when estimating how much to buy?

Third this is a fund raiser for a pretty cheap bunch of mooks so we don't want to go crazy on the price or make them feel like the plate was small. We want to go for a $6 or $7 plate w/ a soda.

I used 5 oz cooked weight for the meat estimate and came up with 56lbs of uncooked butt for this and it priced it out to about $3.40 a plate using 5oz meat, roll, 4 oz beans, 4 oz slaw, some sauce, a fork, and a 3 compartment tray. If this was served up using these quantities would most people be satisfied?

I will adjust my plan as per your advice. Thanks.

I just catered a cook over the weekend for 75 people. I allowed an uncooked weight of one pound per person which yielded a half pound per. I did brisket and pulled pork. There was about 5 pounds of meat left over as it turns out that a few were vegetarians. I think for sandwiches, you have it right at 5 ounces.

figure 30 percent shrinkage by the way. of course you could shred it into oblivion and add copious amounts of sauce to make some of that up but....

I'll be cooking for a 90 plate fund raiser this weekend and have a couple of questions if I may.

We will be selling a plate with a sandwich, baked beans and coleslaw. My first question deals with serving size. Is a 5oz sandwich a decent size? How about the slaw and beans, do you measure by 1/4 or 1/3 cup servings or by weight?

Second is how much uncooked butts? Is the 5oz serving cooked weight or raw weight when estimating how much to buy?

Third this is a fund raiser for a pretty cheap bunch of mooks so we don't want to go crazy on the price or make them feel like the plate was small. We want to go for a $6 or $7 plate w/ a soda.

I used 5 oz cooked weight for the meat estimate and came up with 56lbs of uncooked butt for this and it priced it out to about $3.40 a plate using 5oz meat, roll, 4 oz beans, 4 oz slaw, some sauce, a fork, and a 3 compartment tray. If this was served up using these quantities would most people be satisfied?

I will adjust my plan as per your advice. Thanks.

Meat always weighs more before being cooked. Always buy a little more than what you think you may need to account for the gristle and fat. I would say on that basis if you are presenting them with a 5 oz. sandwich post cooked weight that is a great sandwich. Mcdonalds quarter pounders are 4 oz precooked, so that is a great serving. The 3 compartment tray is the best way to go, people eat with their eyes first, if the plate looks covered they will think they are getting a great deal so 6 or 7 dollars wont seem that much to them. Great planning and free coupons should help combat the meat costs. Good luck with the fundraiser and may I ask what you are fundraising for?

Back