MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Default Catering Private parties only

Wondering if some folks can chime in here, particularly those in the NE Illinois area.

We have been doing some small parties for folks, largest so far was about 80-90 people (A wedding reception in WI for freinds, cooked all onsite). Private parties, on private property.

We're getting some more inquiries, so I'm thinking we should be looking at an umbrella policy for liability protection, but do we need to form an LLC or do anything else to protect ourselves? Seems like a lot of money to spend if it's only a few (10-12) parties per year? Hate to lose our profits just covering our arses!

Up till now, we've had no issues, but I don't want to lose everything to someone blaming a virus or something on our food!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

12 parties should more than cover the expense of froming an llc. It is very cheap to do so. Insurance should be in the $500 range. Factor all the startup costs into your parties so you know you are covered. The last thing you want is to get sued personally for some bad food.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
StrikeEagle
Knows what a fatty is.

What I am hearing you wanting to do is right along my business model as a personal chef.

I would refer you to this thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59238

If you read through the entire thread, you may see some similarities to your goals and those of Phil. If I'm right, I can help answer your questions even though I don't live in N.E. IL. (However,I was born on the North Shore. If that counts.)

I do NOT do the traditional work of a Personal Chef. My business specializes in small events. (30-70 guests) Most of my jobs fall below the level that a full catering company will do. Around here, most caterers won't touch an event of fewer that 100 people. Though SOME of them will "reach down" to jobs of 75 guests at times. As such,for the most part, I don't compete with catering companies. In fact, some of them refer opportunities to me, and I return the favor.

Forming an LLC is well worth it, given the presumption that you have assets to protect. The cost is pretty limited. Most of the costs associated with an LLC are related to the accounting requirements, and those are mostly things you should be doing for your business anyway.

As for insurance costs, OC Pig Assassins is right on target. $500 per year should cover you well. Be VERY CAREFUL in selecting your insurance, though. Catering is a very different business from being a personal chef. Catering is mostly done off site in a commercial kitchen environment, with only the service taking place 'on site'. As a personal chef, I do most of my work "on site", with some limited prep work taking place in a commercial kitchen environment. Different business models. Different insurance needs.

If you are going to do this, I would STRONGLY encourage you to write up a formal business plan to outline what you really wish to do. Identify your target markets and goals. This will keep you from drifting outside of your 'sweet spot' by very much, and helps to keep your business on track.
StrikeEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

We are Inc and carry insurance
You have to who would risk it all on a bad chicken?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

We are a partnership that is set up as "contract cooks" per our county health code. We have a $1 million liability policy that runs us around $300 a year.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
ASUBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Catering

If your going to be a caterer you need to be legal and legitimate. I am not in your area and I say this with much respect but, I get a little peaved at the weekend catering warriors that want to take the money but not pay their dues!

Catering is my only living and I have to work legitimetely & legally for me and my clients., why shouldn't you or the many others that wing it and keep their fingers crossed?

Let me say this for the sake of your future clients, do it properly and do it right. Know what your doing and you better have some experience beyond a few parties that will save your a$$ when the unexpected happens. If you are not a full time food service professional there is a lot to be learned.

You will need:

Servesafe if you don't already have it
Licensed commisary
Local licensing
Special events permits
Liabilty insurance
LLC
Workers comp
Contract knowledge
Lawyer
Accountant
The financial means to make the contracted event happen should you have a major breakdown of equipment or vehicle
And most importantly the passion, the talent & the desire to do it right!

Like i said, not trying to ruffle any feathers just adding my 2 cents
ASUBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
StrikeEagle
Knows what a fatty is.

ASUBBQ, I think that he's trying to 'do it right'. Go easy.

I would also point out that, depending on his state and local laws, he may NOT need everything you've outlined:

Many jurisdictions do not require SERVSafe. In CA, as a personal chef, I am NOT required to be SERVSafe certified. I have it, but it is NOT required. I do suggest that anyone who operates a food service company get SERVSave certified; required or not.

Depending on the situation, he may be able to rent time in a certified commercial kitchen. (Some jurisdictions even allow people to build a separate kitchen in their home and have that certified by the state.) Owning a commercial kitchen is not required for this business. Most of my professional peers start by renting time in a commercial kitchen before ever thinking about buying or building one. I personally get access to one by donating services to the local schools. They grant me access to their kitchens pretty much as I need it. (Yes, my ServSafe certification allows this to happen, and without it, I could NOT use their facilities.)

Private functions do not always require a 'special events permit' in CA, and many other states. In CA, if you are not using a public facility or public lands for the private event, there is no need for a special events permits. Other states may be different.

In CA, Workers Comp is only needed IF you have employees. All of the people who I hire to assist with my events are 'contract workers', and viewed as independent contractors. They are thus NOT employees of my company, so no WC requirement. Again, this works in CA, and may not be the case in every state.

Each state and each business is different. Being a part of a nation wide professional organization has enlightened me to some of the differences in how this industry is regulated across the US. I STRONGLY recommend that everyone thinking about becoming a caterer or personal chef join one of these professional groups. IME they provide value well beyond the limited annual membership fee.

I'm more than willing to share my own experiences. That said, I KNOW that the rules I have to operate under do NOT apply to everyone, and make every effort NOT to portray these as default guidelines. Always check with your state and local regulatory agencies.
StrikeEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUBBQ View Post
If your going to be a caterer you need to be legal and legitimate. I am not in your area and I say this with much respect but, I get a little peaved at the weekend catering warriors that want to take the money but not pay their dues!

Catering is my only living and I have to work legitimetely & legally for me and my clients., why shouldn't you or the many others that wing it and keep their fingers crossed?

Let me say this for the sake of your future clients, do it properly and do it right. Know what your doing and you better have some experience beyond a few parties that will save your a$$ when the unexpected happens. If you are not a full time food service professional there is a lot to be learned.

You will need:

Servesafe if you don't already have it
Licensed commisary
Local licensing
Special events permits
Liabilty insurance
LLC
Workers comp
Contract knowledge
Lawyer
Accountant
The financial means to make the contracted event happen should you have a major breakdown of equipment or vehicle
And most importantly the passion, the talent & the desire to do it right!

Like i said, not trying to ruffle any feathers just adding my 2 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeEagle View Post
ASUBBQ, I think that he's trying to 'do it right'. Go easy.
I agree with StikeEagle, you may not have wanted to 'ruffle any feathers' but as far as I'm concerned, you have.

While I may not have the opportunity to do catering full time does not make my operation any less important.

Yes, I do it legally, not only to protect my clients, but also myself and family.

Please remember that this site is all about helping each other, not trying to rip them down for asking questions. I'm sure that when you started you NEVER made a mistake, NEVER had to ask questions, and NEVER helped out a friend by cooking for him before you had every thing in place.

I'm sorry, but your post hit me wrong and yes, it ruffled my feathers.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
I agree with StikeEagle, you may not have wanted to 'ruffle any feathers' but as far as I'm concerned, you have.

While I may not have the opportunity to do catering full time does not make my operation any less important.

Yes, I do it legally, not only to protect my clients, but also myself and family.

Please remember that this site is all about helping each other, not trying to rip them down for asking questions. I'm sure that when you started you NEVER made a mistake, NEVER had to ask questions, and NEVER helped out a friend by cooking for him before you had every thing in place.

I'm sorry, but your post hit me wrong and yes, it ruffled my feathers.

I echo Jeff's sentiments. This section or no section on this site is for ripping someone a new one for asking questions. Bretheren and sisteren need to be able to think out loud here without negative repercussions. Folks are welcome to post here as long as it is respectful and helpful to all.