MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #31
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

Congrates Neil on the kitchen. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Yhoo Hoo Bro
UDS #2 is done and cooking
Walker

I BBQ because it is just so PRIMAL
wlh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #32
TysDad
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
I'm going to go find me a Moose or Elk this week.
How long do you smoke a Moose or Elk?

Your sink has to be like this one for $2300 ?

Zowie. All the ones on eBay are at least $500 -- in most cases, sink only. Restaurant dismantler/recycler/reseller? Hmmm....

[FONT=Times New Roman]Stainless Pool Filter Drum, BarBChef offset, charcoal GOSM, a gasser and a weed burner.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Henckels Twin Cuisine knives, CDN ProAccurate fast thermometer, Maverick Dual Probe Wireless thermometer, and lots more cooking tools.[/FONT]

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live."
TysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #33
Qcrue2U
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats BigMista!!!

"Crap! Now the HD is telling us we need a sink even if we prep offsite in a commercial kitchen."

Here is SLO, CA. you can use a 5 gallon fresh water tank, with "warm" water. The valve must be a throttle type. The water must drip into a 5 gallon grey water bucket. Hands free paper towel, valve type soap as well. A specific hand cleaning unit... I keep on a seperate table. Then you need 3 buss trays. 1 with a mixture of bleach and water, one soapy water, and then a rinse sanitising. I keep these on a seperate table as well. Two tables just for hands and utensils... :O I got my health permit about 2 months ago for temporary multiple events... :)

I prep all my food at the events right now. I am off to my Elks Lodge when time is permitted. But so far, not that big of a deal.
el cheapO gasser
ECB - Smoke N Grill
mini webber clone, with warming rack!
Brinkman - Verticle
My arsenals of the trade!! \m/

Qcrue2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #34
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
MrsMista and I went to the Moose Lodge and made a presentation to the board and they agreed to let us use their commercial kitchen during off hours!

As long as I show up a couple a times per month and cook dinner for the members (they pay for the food) I get to use the kitchen for free! That satisfies the HD rule for having a commercial kitchen for prep.

We are on our way now!!

This was the nightmare I faced all thisyear. My Kitchen Partner ( a Gas Station that had a closed Deli inside with Tables and Gazebo Outside) ended up dying. The daughter got half of the business and was Jazzed about the idea of me running the Kitchen and providing her case with sandwiches, the STEP mother wants to sell the place and nixed it. Luckily I didn't put any money into it. It is still in Probate so no contracts can be signed.

Then another Gas station that had an old Donut shop in it at one time in one service bay and another unused service bay which was perfect to pull the 31 foot trailer into for service, was signed all lease and everything, and was ready for the FIRST HD visit (the one where they tell you what you need to do).... I was waiting to see how opening up the second old service bay would affect my kitchen in the first, that guy lost the whole damn Mobile because of gambling debts and it went back to being owned by Mobile.

So... while it does;t hurt my private party piz too much, it is nailing me on getting the huge Funkotorium, out and about day to day in the Walmart, Home depot and downtown parking lots.

I am so happy for you. I wonder if my local firehouse would be willing to do this if I cooked for their weekly bingo night?
Old 09-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #35
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Crap! Now the HD is telling us we need a sink even if we prep offsite in a commercial kitchen.

Bar sink is what I got in the Funkotorium. 200 on ebay but it took me a while to find one local.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:35 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #36
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Bar sink is what I got in the Funkotorium. 200 on ebay but it took me a while to find one local.
How deep are the basins on the bar sink?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #37
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysDad View Post
How long do you smoke a Moose or Elk?

Your sink has to be like this one for $2300 ?

Zowie. All the ones on eBay are at least $500 -- in most cases, sink only. Restaurant dismantler/recycler/reseller? Hmmm....
Something like that, yeah. Price is a pain in the butt. Trying to work something out with Farmers Market Manager.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 09-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #38
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
MrsMista and I went to the Moose Lodge and made a presentation to the board and they agreed to let us use their commercial kitchen during off hours!

As long as I show up a couple a times per month and cook dinner for the members (they pay for the food) I get to use the kitchen for free! That satisfies the HD rule for having a commercial kitchen for prep.

We are on our way now!!
Awesome! Congratulations

We were thinking of doing the same thing in our area. At our first ever comp this past summer, we got to talking with a guy who turned out to be a bartender in our local Moose lodge. He suggested we join as they "could always use good cooks for events"

We've since done our first 2 paid gigs (first quoted for 70 people, last weekend was supposed to be 50 but more like 70 again)

The first one we did all the meats onsite (party was almost 300 miles from our home, so no other way) and cooked all the sides in their kitchen. This last one we did everything at our place and just had to deliver.

Both had VERY satisfied customers, so now we're pretty sure we're not fooling ourselves getting into this. Next step is either a Moose or church to have a commercial kitchen. (and possibly a larger smoker, just WSM's for now)

Best of luck in your future endeavors, and hoping you'll wish us luck in ours
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #39
Bigmista

A larger smoker will definitely be a blessing. Good luck!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 09-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #40
Caseyjoenz
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Crap! Now the HD is telling us we need a sink even if we prep offsite in a commercial kitchen.
That just doesn't sound right. I know codes are different, but you're either a "caterer", "mobile food vendor", or "personal chef" where I'm from. When you try to combine any of them - like preparing food in a certified kitchen and then cooking some of it on site (not sure if that's what you're doing) then I can see why the HD is making you have a sink. We started the process just as you are, found a church that would donate the kitchen but then still ran into the HD saying, "no...you have to smoke the meat at your certified kitchen location and then transport it, ready to serve, to the site." We ended up going with the mobile vending license and picked up a nice enclosed trailer with some bells and whistles that the HD required so that we could smoke the meat on-site. The drawback is that we have to prepare everything on-site (in order to comply with the license). Beans, potato salad, slaw...everything. That happens most of the time

Medium Spicewine
3 WSMs

www.smokincaboose.com
Caseyjoenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #41
Bigmista

Here are the specs on the sink we need to vend at the farmers market...

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #42
Butt Ugly
Got Wood.

Bigmista...did you get a chance to read the posts after your post on this thread? http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=48922

Maybe the links will help...just trying to help you find a used one at a bargain price.
Butt Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #43
Bigmista

Ijust did. Looks like allof the sales are based in the south and midwest, Nothing within 200 miles of me.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 09-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #44
Norcoredneck

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bfs/837207978.html

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #45
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Petty cash for Big Mista!!

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote