MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Broccoli Bacon Salad Pron

I took a stab at making Mrs. Bigdog's Broccoli Bacon Salad last night with some fried pork chops and rice. It's an approximation because someone didn't send me the recipe. (Isn't that right trp1fox?)

You can see my take on the recipe at The Survival Gourmet.

P.S. MrsMista loved the salad. Thanks Mrs. Bigdog!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Last edited by Bigmista; 06-10-2008 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Edited large picture.
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
It's an approximation because someone didn't send me the recipe. (Isn't that right trp1fox?)
Opps! Sorry. Was telling the wife all about my exciting weekend over dinner (a salad I might add) and got home later and forgot. It's on the way now.

Just to save everyone from asking for it:

1 large head broccoli, chopped
10 - 12 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup "golden" raisins
1 cup Miracle Whip
1/2 cub sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar

Combine broccoli, bacon, onion and raisins. In separate bowl, blend Miracle Whip, sugar and vinegar. Pour over broccoli mis. Marinate 1-3 hours before serving.

THIS STUFF ROCKS! And this is from someone who can't stand Miracle Whip.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.

Last edited by BBQ Grail; 06-10-2008 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Added recipe
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Bigmista

I forgot the raisins at the store. I also added salt and pepper to my dressing.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 06-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Dry roasted sunflower kernels is a great addition,(in place of raisins in my recipe). I like the idea and will try next batch.Also never tried vinegar, used plenty of bacon drippings instead.Have had broccoli haters love this stuff.Great stuff.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Wulfie
Knows what a fatty is.

I replace the raisins with dried cranberries in mine, and add in roasted sunflower seeds right before serving. I used regular Mayo too. Making it with Miracle Whip is just too friggin sweet for me.

-------------

Wulfie

Newest member of the Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ Team

2 UDS in construction
1 Charbroil Electric Deluxe H20 smoker (soon to be scrapped for parts)

Kilt Maker and Chief Pit Beotch of the [B][COLOR="Red"]Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ Team[/COLOR][/B]
----------
2 UDS in construction
1 Gasser GOSM

[FONT="Arial Black"][B]
"FEAR THE KILT!"[/B][/FONT] [FONT="Arial Black"][B]
[COLOR="Green"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]FIGHT TROUSER TYRANNY![/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
Wulfie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
BBQ Grail

I understand the dried cranberries but what did it for me on this was that there wasn't so much of a contrast between the "dried" fruit and the sweetness of the miracle whip and sugar.

The vinegar provided a nice cut to the sweet flavor profile. Regular raisins wouldn't have done it as nice as the "golden" raisins. Different taste altogether. To me this recipe is perfection, best I've ever had, and I'm not messing with it.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
qman
Babbling Farker

Larry, it works for you, no need to change.
We also make it with dried cranberries, and use real Mayo plus apple cider vinegar. I add a couple of diced plum tomatoes too.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Larry, it works for you, no need to change.
We also make it with dried cranberries, and use real Mayo plus apple cider vinegar. I add a couple of diced plum tomatoes too.
I have about 20 different salads that I rotate through. My point on all this was that THIS recipe is perfect the way it is. If you change it, then it's not THIS recipe.

Dried cranberries in a broccolli salad and especially with real Mayo instead of Miracle Whip is really good. Adding diced tomatoes and cranberries into something with the sweetness of this recipe would destroy the flavor profile completely.

I didn't want to start a debate on salads. It started out as a discussion on Bigmista's salad.

Email me for details.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
Wulfie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
I didn't want to start a debate on salads.
??

Debate?? All I see is a bunch of folks agreeing that it is a great side dish and contributing some of their personal tweaks to it. I realize that I am rather new to posting here, but did I miss something?

-------------

Wulfie

Newest member of the Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ Team

2 UDS in construction
1 Charbroil Electric Deluxe H20 smoker (soon to be scrapped for parts)

Kilt Maker and Chief Pit Beotch of the [B][COLOR="Red"]Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ Team[/COLOR][/B]
----------
2 UDS in construction
1 Gasser GOSM

[FONT="Arial Black"][B]
"FEAR THE KILT!"[/B][/FONT] [FONT="Arial Black"][B]
[COLOR="Green"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]FIGHT TROUSER TYRANNY![/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
Wulfie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfie View Post
??

Debate?? All I see is a bunch of folks agreeing that it is a great side dish and contributing some of their personal tweaks to it. I realize that I am rather new to posting here, but did I miss something?
Nope you didn't miss anything.

Debate: a discussion of two opposing viewpoints.

What we have here is a debate. A debate on what is good in a broccoli salad. Cranberries and sunflower seeds or not.

An argument would be bad for the forum. A debate is healthy.

What I like about this place is we can debate and it doesn't turn into arguments very often.

There isn't anything wrong with anything anyone said on this thread. We are discussing broccoli salads.

I shall be leaving this thread behind now, just to make sure I don't continue the discussion and/or debate.

Email me for details.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
Bigmista

Mmmmm...broccoli.

BOT.

Moink.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
qman
Babbling Farker

Larry, you are right. I was not even suggesting that you change your version. Sounds wonderful. My intent was just to suggest "tweaks" for anyone looking for a different version.

We too have a lot of salads that we rotate through, and I would not change any of the ones we consider "setteled law"

I have another version of broccoli salad that I make when I can get good, fresh Georgia pecans. I sub pecans for the bacon and reduce the acidity of the dressing.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Need a bit of help with the reciepe. I don't have a "cub" measuring device for the sugar.
lol

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
Bigdog

I prefer the golden raisins over reg. ones and cranberries due to the fact that they complement rather than stick out. Also, I don't like raisins.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #15
jdub
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Great minds...

I just did a broccoli salad last weekend and it was a hit.
I omitted bacon, mainly cause I chopped up all the bacon and threw it in the beans-DOH!
Try this-Instead of mayo I did Greek Yogurt (very tart and lemony if you haven't had the real deal), and added enough mayo to just smooth out the yogurt, I am guessing about 4 to 1. Cherry tomatoes red onions and some raisins.

No argument on broc salad here. its a good "base" for a yummy summer side dish and it stands up to a lot of combinations of flavor.

Thanks Big

Tags
bacon, Broccoli, Salad