MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Default Tony Chacheres injectable marinade

For those in the south have you ever used Tony Chacheres injectable butter marinade? This stuff is the best for chicken and turkey. I've used it for years and would like to duplicate it because buying that small bottle with the included injector just ain't enough. Lost count of how many injectors i now have lol) I can't put my finger on exactly what the liquid is. I know it contains water, artificial butter flavoring and that's about it. The seasonings I've gotten down but it's the liquid that has me stumped. Has anyone used this stuff? Do you think it is mostly water and not oil because oil is not listed.

[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

I aint a southern boy but this stuff gets pumped into the Thanksgiving turkey every year. I'd have to try it again to try to pin point what all it might have in it but I think most of the liquid would have to be water. Or maybe some kind of juice.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
BayoustateBBQ

I know right, this is good stuff!
Here's a list of ingredients:

water, salt, spice blend(salt,red pepper,black pepper,garlic and other spices) soy bean oil,dehydrated garlic, xanthan gum,chili powder,citric acid,spices, natural butter flavor, sodium phosphates.

I think I'll have to play with the water and soybean oil to get the consistency.
Now what the heck is xanthan gum?
I know what sodium phosphate is but where can I buy it? used alot in competitions

another funny thing is it says serving size 1 tbsp. servings per container 34. LOL yeah right I use the whole bottle.
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your gonna have separation problems unless you put an emulsifier in the solution(xanthan gum) to keep the oil & water mixed.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

The xanthan gum I think is just a preservative. You could prolly make up some close to the original mix without using the sodium phosphate and xanthan especially if you aren't planning on storing it for a long period of time.

But hey! I'm no scientist so who knows what those two ingredients are intended to do.

Edit: blu beats me too it with a better answer! Thanks Blu!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
BayoustateBBQ

Well I'm doing a blind taste test on two smoked chickens this weekend. one with tony's and the other with mine. That makes sense Blu! I would like to come up with something we could all easily make in the kitchen. I always prefer to make my own things instead of buying products with ingredients that i can't even pronounce.
[/SIZE]

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
BayoustateBBQ

One other question. I for the life of me can't find soy bean oil anywhere. I can find sunflower oil, veg oil, peanut oil etc and the only place that has it is a 35lb jug at sam's club.
That being said what other type of oil do you think is very similar to soybean oil? I think olive oil is going to add some extra taste I do not want.
[/SIZE]

Old 02-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

you can use any neutral oil I use Canolla, Plain veg oil, Corn oil would be good choices too. The use of Soy and Cotton seed oils in processed food is a financial thing and not a hearty choice. I make most everything from scratch, No Chemicals I cant pronounce, and it costs less than pre-pak garbage.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Here is a similar recipe from emeril, Cajun injection for turkey from food network.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon concentrated liquid crab and shrimp boil (recommended: Zatarian's)
1/4 cup apple cider
3/4 cup honey
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1/2 cup Creole seasoning
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup finely minced garlic
1 (10 to 12-pound) turkey, rinsed well inside and out, patted dry
4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 cups chicken broth, as needed for bottom of roasting pan
Directions
Make the marinade by combining the Worcestershire sauce, crab boil, apple cider, honey, beer, salt, allspice, Creole seasoning, cayenne, olive oil, and minced garlic in a blender and process until very smooth, about 5 minutes. Fill a large syringe* and inject turkey in the breast and thigh area, as well as the back, wings, and legs, with at least 2/3 of the marinade. You will have to fill the syringe numerous times.

Preheat the oven to 420 degrees F and line a large roasting pan with aluminum foil.

Season the injected turkey well both inside and out with the kosher salt and black pepper. Place the turkey in a large roasting pan lined with aluminum foil and pour the remaining marinade all over the turkey. Bake the turkey uncovered for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F, add 1 cup of the chicken broth to the roasting pan, and continue to bake the turkey until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the deepest part between the thigh and the leg registers 165 degrees F. (If the turkey begins to brown too much, tent loosely with aluminum foil until it is done. Also, add more broth as necessary to keep the bottom of the roasting pan from burning.)

When the turkey is done, remove it from the oven and set aside to rest at least 20 minutes before carving.

Maybe you can use this as a base recipe and adjust to your spices.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I've always figured that they use something like this as a base and add seasonings to it.

http://affordablegrocery.com/shop/ch...tive-1-gallon/

Where are you at in Louisiana? Restaurant Depot carries it for about $10 per gallon I think.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

I use margarine, cayenne, garlic and liquid crab boil for the cajun taste.
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Stuff is great, but laugh my butt off listening to my redneck buddies pronounce it.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
BayoustateBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
Stuff is great, but laugh my butt off listening to my redneck buddies pronounce it.
lol let me guess chat-cher-rees instead of Sat-cher-rees?
[/SIZE]

Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
The xanthan gum I think is just a preservative. You could prolly make up some close to the original mix without using the sodium phosphate and xanthan especially if you aren't planning on storing it for a long period of time.

But hey! I'm no scientist so who knows what those two ingredients are intended to do.

Edit: blu beats me too it with a better answer! Thanks Blu!
I kinda like the Xanthan in there. It might be my imagination but I feel that making it thicker keeps it from leaking out as quickly

Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
BayoustateBBQ

Actually it's quite thin. As Blu said I thinks it's more of an emulsifier in it. After reading Xanthan acts like a binder and can be used as a thickener as well. If you haven't used this injection it's just slightly thicker than water.
I think I'm gonna either give the corn oil or sunflower oil a shot. Sun flower is much healthier. Once I get this dialed in I'll post the recipe in the recipe section.
[/SIZE]