MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Gardendogs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Tips on MasterBuilt smoker

Just got my first smoker and was wondering if anyone with the same smoker could throw me some tips or tricks. MasterBuilt gas smokehouse xl. So far I have cooked ribs a few times (20 pounds of ribs one of the times) (seemed like a lot for me maybe not so much now thinking of who i may be typing to lol) and I cooked my first Thanksgiving turkey. Everything has turned out amazing so far.
One of the things i have wondered it how accurate the thermo is on the door.
any advice is welcome thanks for the great thankgiving bird
Gardendogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

get a remote thermo and see if your door is off test all of the grates if your thermos off on door witch im sure it is get to know your smoker

Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

I've never had a masterbuilt, see them all the time at Lowes or HD whereever they sell them. The thermo is probably not real accurate so you may want to buy a better one. When using gas make sure you have a reserve tank. Other than that enjoy it and que it up!
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Marwendholt
On the road to being a farker

I wouldn't trust the factory thermometer. I have a duel fuel Masterbuilt, and my factory thermo is off almost 50 degrees. I'd go with the Maverick ET-732. It works great for me.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Marwendholt

Also, if yours has the same "chip pan" as mine you will need to use something else such as a small cat iron skillet or a chip box to put your chips in. Otherwise they catch fire very easily.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
JPS11

My door thermo is close enough to the ET-732 for me to not worry about it.

I use a cast iron skillet on top of the original pan with chunks of wood.

There is another forum about smoking meat that has a whole section on gas smokers and there are some threads in it about modding the XL.

Overall, I like it. Almost set and forget once it is dialed in. I do wish it had a separate door for adding wood though.
JPS11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Gardendogs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Right on thank you all.
I thought about pulling the old thermo out and replacing with a better one and then maybe also add one or two more at different heights under the factory location seeing as the factory one is at the very top.
I put aluminum foil over the chip pan but it still goes through the chips really fast so a cast iron pan sounds like a great idea, would putting it on the old pan be better or should i just set it on the burner?
Gardendogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
JPS11

I would use chunks instead of chips. Put some sort of cast iron pan on top of the original pan.
JPS11 is offline   Reply With Quote