• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mustard in South Carolina sauce?

neuyawk

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm reading an interview with David Bessinger of Marvin's in South Carolina. He's talking about the famous South Carolina Mustard sauce that was invented by his grandfather Joe Bessinger & Bob Sweatman. In here I'm not sure if he means there's a particular darker mustard he uses in his sauce just that it's French's Mustard + stuff.

Any SC Brethren got thoughts?

It is a—a mustard-based barbecue sauce. I think a lot of people from outside of South Carolina think it’s like more of a French’s—you know, French’s Mustard. But it’s not; it’s—it’s more of a darker golden look and that’s why we call it the “Golden Secret.” My grandfather told my father hey; we got something here. And back in those days in the ’30s he said, “This will make you $1,000,000 one day.” So, you know, that was a lot of money back in those days with—you know, it’s still a lot of money today, but as you well know it doesn’t go a long ways when you open up a restaurant.

That would be Melvin's in South Carolina. There's one half a mile up the street from where I sit right now. He only has two locations. He has two brothers that own their own restaurants, Tommy and Maurice. Maurice is the infamous one. His father and Bub Sweatman created the sauce many years ago.

I believe they start with a some form of yellow mustard and add a ton of stuff to it. It's pretty good and has a lot of flavor. I know it has vinegar, brown sugar and maybe a touch of honey. I may could even send you a bottle if you'd like to try it out! Let me know.

That would be Melvin's in South Carolina. There's one half a mile up the street from where I sit right now. He only has two locations. He has two brothers that own their own restaurants, Tommy and Maurice. Maurice is the infamous one. His father and Bub Sweatman created the sauce many years ago.

I believe they start with a some form of yellow mustard and add a ton of stuff to it. It's pretty good and has a lot of flavor. I know it has vinegar, brown sugar and maybe a touch of honey. I may could even send you a bottle if you'd like to try it out! Let me know.

Opps. Yeah me and places names are just a wreck.

Thanks for the offer! I'm actually driving thru that area in another few weeks and I'm hitting up a number of SC spots.

Now in your opinion would it be that they have a special mustard they use? Or is it basically french's with the other stuff in it?

Opps. Yeah me and places names are just a wreck.

Thanks for the offer! I'm actually driving thru that area in another few weeks and I'm hitting up a number of SC spots. Might have to add Melvin on there. I'm definitely hitting up Maurice's just for the experience alone. See how a chinaman fares in there.

Now in your opinion would it be that they have a special mustard they use? Or is it basically french's with the other stuff in it?

I think it's just yellow mustard with a bunch of other spices. It has a golden color to it.

Oh, yeah. If you're coming to S.C., try to get to Scott's BBQ in Hemingway, S.C. It's the real deal.

Uncle Guerry, you want to try some?

I think it's just yellow mustard with a bunch of other spices. It has a golden color to it.

Oh, yeah. If you're coming to S.C., try to get to Scott's BBQ in Hemingway, S.C. It's the real deal.

Uncle Guerry, you want to try some?

I'd love to hit up Scott's, unfortunately for me they only cook thurs to Sat :cry:

I'm staying over night in Greenville and then hitting Midway & Jackie Hites, before moving on to Georgia for the Big Pig Jig. So a trek to Scotts would be a bit difficult. I'm hitting up Maurice on my drive back to New York from Atlanta.

If you're going to be in Greenville, try to get over to Spartanburg and go to The Beacon. They have great burgers!!

Just listening to the blind man calling out the orders is worth the experience. You will not regret it.

It would be brown if they were from certain parts of Europe, yellow from others. Even French's to my taste, has changed over the past 50 years.

It would be brown if they were from certain parts of Europe, yellow from others. Even French's to my taste, has changed over the past 50 years.

When I was over in Austria, the average supermarket had an insane amount of choices for mustard. It's like us walking down a cereal aisle. Unreal.

I really wish there was a cheap mild mustard around here. French's isn't very strong but it still requires some work/cooking to get astringency factor under control.

I'm wondering if I could make my own really mild mustard.

My guess would be Gulden's mustard for the base. I use it and it really makes a difference.

They're known for being more spicy with visible seeds no? I'm not sure I see too much of that in shots of SC sauces. Or is there a smoother Gulden's you're talking about

They're known for being more spicy with visible seeds no? I'm not sure I see too much of that in shots of SC sauces. Or is there a smoother Gulden's you're talking about

I've never seen it with seeds. Their regular has a nice bite and a golden color.

Pat, any good BBQ in Columbia?

Sure. I would rank Hite's at the top followed by Shealy's. True BBQ also has some good eats! I've eaten at all three and think Hite's is the best out of the bunch. Shealy's does have a pretty good sauce, though. (mustard based) Maurice's is ok but nothing to write home about. I think it's just the shock factor for him these day's.

These joints are not neccessarily IN Columbia, proper but on the outskirts in other little towns.

Usually regular old French's yaller mustard for an authentic sauce. Country people in the south don't generally buy stone ground mustard, dijon mustard, or some expensive artisan mustard, or at least not until the last few years. Every time I've seen somebody in SC making mustard bbq sauce, it started with plain ol' French's mustard.

Usually regular old French's yaller mustard for an authentic sauce. Country people in the south don't generally buy stone ground mustard, dijon mustard, or some expensive artisan mustard, or at least not until the last few years. Every time I've seen somebody in SC making mustard bbq sauce, it started with plain ol' French's mustard.

This is very true!

Back