MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #10126
funugy
Take a breath!

I'll use Kleen -Strip for sure on my next build. I can't believe I didn't think to try that.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #10127
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Just finished a cooker that I plan to sell....

Old 09-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #10128
DaQueensQ
Found some matches.

Remote temperature gauge.....
DaQueensQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #10129
lemur
Full Fledged Farker

^^^..Thought I was only one using binos to check temps from my 2nd floor apt...Dont use em as much as i did with first few cooks on UDS...got er dialed in for any temp between 225 thru 350°...uds ROCK

Old 09-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #10130
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Ugly, basic, and mine

After much delay (about a year), I finally finished my first UDS last weekend.
The unit was assembled from a free drum donated by a friend, some canibalized parts from 2 CL 22.5 OTS's, and a few other donated and purchased parts. It features 2 cooking grates, a 14" X 9" charcoal basket no-weld basket with attached pizza pan ash catcher, and for now a turkey thero fitted into a 1/8" X 1/4" brass hose barb. I'm planning on mounting a second turkey thermo probably next week, as well as investing in an ET 732 Digital with some anniversary money from my wife, part of which paid for my newly minted Brethren subscription.

Shown are: the finished UDS, the basket in progress and the aluminum rim added for seating the Weber lid.

Thanks to all the many Brethren for their insipring tips and recipes and the community attitude that makes this forum such a great place to be.

Matt Allen
Huntsville, Ontario, Canada
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4150.jpg (30.3 KB, 758 views)
File Type: jpg 031.jpg (120.6 KB, 761 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4146.jpg (63.1 KB, 755 views)

Last edited by smokainmuskoka; 09-30-2012 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: sp.
smokainmuskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #10131
wayada
Found some matches.

200 pages down......

Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #10132
wayada
Found some matches.

200 pages down......

Old 09-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #10133
wayada
Found some matches.

200 pages down....

Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #10134
wayada
Found some matches.

My apologies...laptop froze. . . mad rampage clicking created the triple post...im guessing

Old 09-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #10135
barney jr
Full Fledged Farker

alot of great reading in here guys thanks!

Old 09-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #10136
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
The shelf is really simple, 4 1X4 treated attached to 2 1X2s and hinged to a 2X4 that's bolted to the drum. The brace is a 1X2 that is hinged and sets on a bolt.
Nice shelf. Just don't put any food on the treated lumber. Bad stuff in treated lumber.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #10137
wayada
Found some matches.

As I read through this thread a couple of questions come to mind that I have not seen answers too, or I should say, have not seen definitive answers too. I do realize that a lot of this is at user discretion and/or preference, that there may not be a right or wrong answer to many of the design elements.....many ways to skin a cat. . . etc

With that said I am looking for pro's and con's, recommendations based on experience more than what is right or wrong:

Charcoal basket size is one:
For those of you built you baskets on Weber charcoal grates, what are the pros and cons of using the grate from an 18" versus the one from a 22-1/2". I'm not looking for pros and cons of the build, but rather of fit, form and function. Does one clog easier than the other? Is the smaller that much easier to get in out of the drum that makes it a no brainer? Does one seem to achieve more consistent temp's from edge to center of drum?

The other thing relates to the 24" from bottom of charcoal basket to first cooking grate. I have seen some insist that this should not vary much from that. I do understand the importance maintaining distance from heat source to delectable flesh. But I'm not sure why that the 24" +/- generally accepted grate to flesh distance isn't, at least somewhat, charcoal basket or more specifically charcoal height dependent?

i.e. if you are running a 15" dia by 12" high charcoal basket and start will a full load, uncommon I know, you start you cook 12" from the heat source If you are running a 18" by 8" high basket (roughly same full load volume) you start your cook 16" from heat source.

If a 24" grate to grate height works for the first scenario why won't a 20" grate to grate height work for the second?

I'm not disagreeing with the general 24" rule, and I understand maintaining proper distance to prevent flare ups, over smoking, and maintaining consistent cooking grate temps is all part of it, just trying to figure out why that seems to be somewhat of a hard and fast rule regardless of basket size and distance from flesh to heat source when you start you cook?

Thanks,

Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #10138
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayada View Post

The other thing relates to the 24" from bottom of charcoal basket to first cooking grate. I have seen some insist that this should not vary much from that. I do understand the importance maintaining distance from heat source to delectable flesh. But I'm not sure why that the 24" +/- generally accepted grate to flesh distance isn't, at least somewhat, charcoal basket or more specifically charcoal height dependent?

i.e. if you are running a 15" dia by 12" high charcoal basket and start will a full load, uncommon I know, you start you cook 12" from the heat source If you are running a 18" by 8" high basket (roughly same full load volume) you start your cook 16" from heat source.

If a 24" grate to grate height works for the first scenario why won't a 20" grate to grate height work for the second?

I'm not disagreeing with the general 24" rule, and I understand maintaining proper distance to prevent flare ups, over smoking, and maintaining consistent cooking grate temps is all part of it, just trying to figure out why that seems to be somewhat of a hard and fast rule regardless of basket size and distance from flesh to heat source when you start you cook?

Thanks,
I've only built one and it hasn't even been alive for a week, so please don't run away with my answer as truth, as it's only an assumption. I'm not a pro at this.

Any way, I'm guessing the 24" rule has to do with being an absolute distance. You can start with different heights due to the amount of fuel you're using, but 24" will always remain constant throughout the life of your smoker. Save for any intentional adjustments on your part.

Surely someone with a bit more knowledge on the topic will come along and correct me if I'm wrong or touch up on why 24" is the magic number (lost/wasted heat any distances greater than that?).
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #10139
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
This will be my 3rd build and I'm sticking with the KISS method. But I want to add something to my lid (flat;not weber lid) so I can hook it to the drum when I'm tending to my food. I'm getting tired of putting it on the ground, etc. What do you use? A large bolt?
I just moved the 3/4" plug from the top of the lid to the bottom of the lid and left it standing out far enough to hang on the edge of the drum.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #10140
ferrazuk
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hi.Iam new here and looking for some advice.I am going to build a UDS and have just bought a drum online which was used for transporting juice.I have just noticed that it only weighs 10 kilos and others weigh 18 kilos.As the drums are he same size i assume the one i have bought is thinner grade steel.Will this cause me any problems with construction or performance of the finished product.Many thanks in advance.
ferrazuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker