MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #10111
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

The shelf is really simple, 4 1X4 treated attached to 2 1X2s and hinged to a 2X4 that's bolted to the drum. The brace is a 1X2 that is hinged and sets on a bolt.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #10112
Dryden84
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
You should clear coat to keep that funky pattern the wire wheel made..
Would RustOleum Clear Enamel stand up to the heat from the drum?
Dryden84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #10113
geo
Knows what a fatty is.

Personally I would use engine paint.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #10114
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Just thought i would throw my UDS into the mix. It's my first, so it's not as good as most of what i see here. But its a start....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=144797
gmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #10115
Dryden84
Got rid of the matchlight.

edit* thought I was in the google search box
Dryden84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #10116
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

Made some progress tonight. I have all of my parts now, but only had time to remove paint, surface rust, and the liner from the inside of the lid (the inside of the barrel was unlined) and construct the charcoal basket, though I have no pictures of it since somehow a 5/8" bolt snuck it's way into my bag-o-bolts and other appropriately sized hardware from Home Depot, so right now it's only sitting on 2 legs. I'll swing by on my way home from work in the morning to pick up a proper sized bolt.

One coat of spray-on Klean-Strip was all it took to have the paint literally falling off in big chunks and sheets like a wilting rose (felt like a popped balloon).

I had tan liner on the inside of my drum lid, which I tested with a wire wheel and it was tough to break through to bare metal, but one coat of Klean-Strip and the wind could have blown it off to bare metal. Here's a pic of me testing it with a metal rod, just showing how easily it peeled away. I ended up wiping the rest of it off with a shop towel.

Here it is sanded inside and out (no inside pics). I'm not re-finishing the bottom because who cares?

One can of Klean-Strip was all I needed to remove the paint from the barrel and lid as well as the liner on the inside of the lid. It's advertised to work on epoxy so I figured I'd give it a shot for the liner and it worked like a champ. I've read through the first 500 pages and some change, but up until that point I think besides wire wheels, sand/soda/bead blasting, and burnouts, the only other thing anybody has tried was oven cleaner. I can't promise this will work for all liners, especially the dreaded red, but for a few bucks it's definitely worth a shot. If you try it and it works, I absolutely recommend properly cleaning out the inside of your barrel before cooking on it, though, as this stuff is pretty potent.

I think I paid about $6-$7 for it at Home Depot. Their site is acting funky right now, but here's the manufacturer's link for it: http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=72&prodid=112

Last edited by Terry Hesticles; 09-27-2012 at 01:06 AM..
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #10117
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles View Post
...I think I paid about $6-$7 for it at Home Depot. Their site is acting funky right now, but here's the manufacturer's link for it: http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=72&prodid=112
I have a drum with the dreaded red liner. Got quoted $90 for sandblasting, still pricing around. I'm really tempted to give this a try, but do you have any concerns about contaminating the inside of the cooking pit?
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #10118
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
I have a drum with the dreaded red liner. Got quoted $90 for sandblasting, still pricing around. I'm really tempted to give this a try, but do you have any concerns about contaminating the inside of the cooking pit?
I'm going to use a homemade mixture of liquid blue Dawn dish soap + vinegar (to eliminate any residue) to wash the inside of the lid tomorrow. After a rinse and a dry, I'm going to give it a wipe down with 91% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol, then season.

I'm no expert at this, but I think after that it should be fine. If I were going to do the inside of the barrel, I'd probably take a sander or angle grinder to it after a wash and rinse, just for reassurance, if anything else.

I'm curious how it works out for you, though. If your red liner is as horrible everyone makes it seem, then a couple of cans would be worth the risk if you're unable to do a long, hot burnout.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #10119
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles View Post
I'm going to use a homemade mixture of liquid blue Dawn dish soap + vinegar (to eliminate any residue) to wash the inside of the lid tomorrow. After a rinse and a dry, I'm going to give it a wipe down with 91% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol, then season.

I'm no expert at this, but I think after that it should be fine. If I were going to do the inside of the barrel, I'd probably take a sander or angle grinder to it after a wash and rinse, just for reassurance, if anything else.

I'm curious how it works out for you, though. If your red liner is as horrible everyone makes it seem, then a couple of cans would be worth the risk if you're unable to do a long, hot burnout.
Yeah, I live in a pretty dense suburban neighborhood, I don't trust being able to safely (or legally) burn out a drum. That coupled with the dreaded red lining led me to decide to just go for a sandblasting. The drum was free anyway, so it's less painful to pay more for the blasting. I'm on medical leave right now and can't do a lot of work on my drum but I'll be thinking it over for a few weeks from now, thanks for the info.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #10120
Sampler
Knows what a fatty is.

Anyone used a high temp silicon on the outside their smoker?

Let me explain. As I have posted I have modified the top to my drum to accommodate a lid I found from a charcoal grill. I secured the top and lids with self taping screw but now I have smoke leaking out around the contact points between the two. I was thinking that a thin bead of high temp silicon would solve this problem.

Any thoughts?

D
Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #10121
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampler View Post
Anyone used a high temp silicon on the outside their smoker?

Let me explain. As I have posted I have modified the top to my drum to accommodate a lid I found from a charcoal grill. I secured the top and lids with self taping screw but now I have smoke leaking out around the contact points between the two. I was thinking that a thin bead of high temp silicon would solve this problem.

Any thoughts?

D
I believe our brethren from Man Cave Meals used some on his Kamado to seal smoke leaks in one of his vids.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #10122
geo
Knows what a fatty is.

I used it on a brinkmann style smoker to seal the sections together.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #10123
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Nice idea with the Klean-Strip. I'm staring at a lid too with a tan liner and my drum is unlined. I think i will give this a try and was planning on doing a burn out to get the paint off on the outside but maybe I will do the the Klean-Strip as I live in a subdivision and dont want to give my neighbors a heart attack. But there is a lot of homes being built and plenty of scrap wood and my wife is going out of town in a couple of weeks with the kids and it would be bad ass to have some fire.

Also I have 2 questions. This will be my 3rd build and I'm sticking with the KISS method. But I want to add something to my lid (flat;not weber lid) so I can hook it to the drum when I'm tending to my food. I'm getting tired of putting it on the ground, etc. What do you use? A large bolt?

Also if I do go the burn out route; will I have to do anything inside the drum to get the black smoke off? Was hoping I could just season it from there but should I clean it out? Dont have a power sander or anything. Thanks.
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #10124
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Nice idea with the Klean-Strip. I'm staring at a lid too with a tan liner and my drum is unlined. I think i will give this a try and was planning on doing a burn out to get the paint off on the outside but maybe I will do the the Klean-Strip as I live in a subdivision and dont want to give my neighbors a heart attack. But there is a lot of homes being built and plenty of scrap wood and my wife is going out of town in a couple of weeks with the kids and it would be bad ass to have some fire.

Also I have 2 questions. This will be my 3rd build and I'm sticking with the KISS method. But I want to add something to my lid (flat;not weber lid) so I can hook it to the drum when I'm tending to my food. I'm getting tired of putting it on the ground, etc. What do you use? A large bolt?

Also if I do go the burn out route; will I have to do anything inside the drum to get the black smoke off? Was hoping I could just season it from there but should I clean it out? Dont have a power sander or anything. Thanks.
At Home Depot in the same section I picked up my lid handle (Door Hardware aisle), they have multiple options for "robe hooks". I took a small propane torch to it for a bit so hopefully everything potentially toxic is burnt off. It came with 2 screws, but I used my own stainless steel bolts instead.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #10125
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

Smoked 2 fatties on mine, one sweet Italian sausage stuffed with pepperoni, mozzarella and pizza sauce for the wife. One breakfast sausage stuffed with sautéed jalapeños and onions and cheddar cheese, wrapped in a bacon weave for me. Have pics for proof, will post later when I'm on my laptop.

I followed the KISS method. Took some minor tweaking to get the temps stable, but I'm confident after a couple of more smokes that I'll be familiar with its personality and it'll be smooth sailing from there. A big thanks to all who submitted their failures and successes which helped save the late-comers like myself from waisted time and unnecessary headaches.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker