• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help me buy a new thermometer for UDS

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Help or reccomend me a new thermometer for my UDS. I have a exterior thermometer but looking for something to gauge the internal meat temp. What works best and how much? Don't want to break the bank so if anyone knows the cheapest place. Thanks guys!

Academy Sports has 2 different wireless internal probe thermometers for just under $30, might be too much, but I decided to splurge since I will be attending to a deep fry method of turkey at the same time. I can wear the belt clip reader and not have to walk away from the fryer.

Thermoworks has just about any type of digital thermometer you could want, and they have great prices.

Matt

Maverick ET-732 is hard to beat. Duel probes, one for meat and one for cooker temps. Around $60. Remote transmitter allows you to be approx 300 ft away and still monitor your temps. Love mine.

KP

Maverick ET-732 is hard to beat. Duel probes, one for meat and one for cooker temps. Around $60. Remote transmitter allows you to be approx 300 ft away and still monitor your temps. Love mine.

KP

I really enjoy using my Maverick ET-732 in my UDS as well.

Im the same as these guys. Make sure you get the et-732... its the newest version. Works great on my shotgun shell UDS's

So overall would a maverick 732 be better because it has 2 probes instead of the 1 you get from the thermo works? I understand the price is a big difference. But overall you'd get more from it?

So overall would a maverick 732 be better because it has 2 probes instead of the 1 you get from the thermo works? I understand the price is a big difference. But overall you'd get more from it?

What you are going to get with the 732 is this:
*Internal meat temperature.
*Actual grate temperature right next to the meat.

If you are using a short stemmed external thermometer to control the pit temp., you can have as much as 50* to 80* temp difference.

I personally use a 12" turkey deep fryer thermometer which gives me a temp. reading in the Center (middle) of the drum about 1/2" under the cooking grate and of course my brand new Maverick - 732

I don't think you can go wrong with the Maverick or the Thermoworks, just depends on how much you want to spend.

Walmart has a wireless probe for $16. I have one and have used it extensively... works great and good bang for the buck.

I'd like to help, but I'll need your Visa account # and password. Feel free to PM me the info and I'm all over it for you.

Seems like that 2 for $30 at Thermoworks is hard to beat. I used to have a Maverick ET-73 but it went bad. Was planning on replacing it with a ET-732, but since building a UDS, my pit temp is so steady that I am thinking of just going with a single probe for meat temps. Seems that no matter what I do, that UDS wants to hang between 225 and 250, so why bother?

Does anyone know the brand of the 12" deep fryer thermo that have the nut on the back to calibrate them I cant seem to find them when I google :redface:

Back