• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ugly Drum Smoker Photo Gallery

You don't need to be embarrassed. I built mine mostly with found, stolen, or gifted parts and only spent around $50.00 and that's including the paint to freehand the flames.

Every cook has been either very good or fantastic and I've acquired a few fans that call and ask if I'm smoking anything on the weekend and if they can come over for dinner.

I always say ok if they bring Beer or Bourbon (Makers Mark or Buffalo Trace.)

I have another UDS in the works that I'll go a bit more up scale with black iron nipple intakes instead of magnets and multiple rack locations that will cost around $125.00 to finish.

Howler thanks. that sounds reasonable to my budget! thanks for the encouragement

picture.php
I got 6 barels from a movie set here in NM, they were just scenery, brand new and painted. they have some dents but you can't beat the price.. I think they were $10 a piece (score). nuts and bolts, I bought from home depot, in bulk since I'm going to be makeing more, Grill from Home Depot $19 Expanded metal was like $20, 3/4 in ball valve $14, 10" 3/4 nipples, $9 X 4, and various paint.. I LOVE MY UDS! I have been cooking on them for the past couple of years and I have yet to find a problem with them. The best part about a UDS.. it's yours, make it how you want it!

Last edited:
I put together a Standard issue UDS for a friend of mine and wanted to share a pic of the charcoal basket I make for mine.

Attachments

• basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 2,796
Haha here goes mine with a new side table, looks a lot like one up a few post I'm just sayn..:icon_blush:

2011-05-03%2018.05.40.jpg

2011-05-03%2018.04.34.jpg

2011-05-03%2018.04.56.jpg

2011-05-03%2018.05.23.jpg

Whoa! You guys have some sweet looking smokers!

These are some fantastic smokers, I cannot wait to build one when I get back from Afghanistan!

After I burned mine out I let it sit for about 2 weeks. Not good. Some elbow grease and naval jelly fixed that.

Lid.jpg

lid2.jpg

naval.jpg

finish2.jpg

finish1.jpg

Brilliant work, sir!

Thanks. I posted an answer to the thermocouple adapters over in the UDS thread here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1639116&postcount=7918

I haven't done anything inside the drum for them yet. I'm cooking tomorrow and plan to decide if I need a hook or something to keep them organized. I put them into the drum right under my rack so they would not be in the way.

(oops, I answered your question but I see the question is gone now...)

Thanks. I posted an answer to the thermocouple adapters over in the UDS thread here.
(oops, I answered your question but I see the question is gone now...)

I saw that you'd answered it over there, and so rather than clog this up, I took out the question!

As to the inside, I more meant your general layout, what kind of basket you used, etc. Although I think I found those photos already, too. I've tried to get through the bulk of the UDS thread, but can only do so much each day!

As to the inside, I more meant your general layout, what kind of basket you used, etc. Although I think I found those photos already, too. I've tried to get through the bulk of the UDS thread, but can only do so much each day!

Here's my basket. It's a pizza pan from Ace Mart with 1/4" ss ubolts on the bottom to hold it up, a square fence post base bolted to that, and a 24" long 1/2" pipe welded to it, with a cap on it that is used as a handle. It has a 1/4" diameter rod 3" long welded to it. the basket is expanded metal bent into a circle welded to a Weber 13.5" diameter replacement grill and stands off the pizza pan 2" using 5/16" ss eye bolts. It has a steel washer in the bottom so it can be lifted off the pizza pan for cleaning. Not my design, it came from Nocoredneck and I think it's a terrific design.

DSC_1380.JPG

Back