• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Q-Talk?

JasonATI

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I think this should be in this section since it discusses a cooking technique. In the newest Car and Driver mag they are in Nurburg, Germany doing some tests and they stop at this pub where they bring out a soapstone square about 4"x4" heated in a wood burning pizza oven to 750 degrees, then bring out your raw steak and it cooks on your own stone.
Just thought it was kinda cool, never in the US because someone would burn themselves and sue.

There's a restaurant outside Orlando FL (Colorado Fondue Company, I think?) that does that. It's kinda fun and different. The kids really liked it.

No thanks, I have enough problems with fajita skillets. I'd prolly burn my fingers off on a 750 degree soapstone.

Neat concept.

A bunch of us went to a steak joint in Tulsa that had grills built into the tables. You chose from a tray of fresh steaks.... they had a salad bar, a veggie bar, a potato/pasta/rice bar, and a dessert bar. You helped yourself to whatever sides, then grilled your steak (whole or in small pieces).

It dawned on me after the fact that I was doing all the work, and I would have been the only one to blame for an overcooked steak.

No thanks, I have enough problems with fajita skillets. I'd prolly burn my fingers off on a 750 degree soapstone.
I guess that's why it works at a fondue restaurant - the customer is already using 12" long fondue forks that keeps their fingers away from the heat!

I used to go to a steak house that would use river rocks and cook the steak between very hot granite rocks. Very tasty.

man, that sounds interesting! When I was in Germany a few years back I got a kick out of ordering some ribs in this eatery/pub/restaurant, and the cook was standing right there in the middle of the place cooking the ribs over an open wood burning santa maria style pit with a cig hanging from his mouth the whole time!! They do things a bit different on the other side of the pond!!

I went to a place in San Antonio almost 30 yrs ago called U R Cooks. You picked out your own steak and then cooked it on a large communal grill. It was a novelty, but a lot of fun.

Back