MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2003, 05:06 PM   #16
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
The ones that use your car jack to split. Anyone ever seen one??
Never saw one of those that use your car jack. I have an actual splitter. Can't get along without it. My neighbors get more use from it than I do, but the favors keep racking up. Of course I have a wood burner and a fireplace to keep going if I choose too, so I cut and split tons of wood every year.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2003, 06:00 PM   #17
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Heres the mini splitters i was talking about. there is also one that hooks to a compressor. I like splittin wood manually with a maul and saw.. find it relaxing...... but some logs are just too damn thick or stubborn and this thing will come in handy for those big ones. They aint all that expensive.

http://www.minisplitter.com/

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #18
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Heres the mini splitters i was talking about. there is also one that hooks to a compressor. I like splittin wood manually with a maul and saw.. find it relaxing...... but some logs are just too damn thick or stubborn and this thing will come in handy for those big ones. They aint all that expensive.

http://www.minisplitter.com/
You still using this thing Phil?

I'm thinking of getting one for those days when I feel "not so fresh"....

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #19
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardchef
You still using this thing Phil?

I'm thinking of getting one for those days when I feel "not so fresh"....
Hmmmm.... interesting! I almost bought that last summer but went with an electric splitter you can see here. It is ok, but it has limitations on the size logs that can be split both length and width. I was hoping for a little more umph. Kinda wish I shelled out more dough and got a splitter in the 12 ton capacity and gas powered.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #20
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Stick Burners Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE fire!!!
Smoke On!!!!

Old 01-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #21
HickoryNut
Knows what a fatty is.

For those knarly hard to split logs I keep a stack of small photocopies of my boss' face to place on the end of the log. Ex-wife pics provide a similar euphoria. Tearout your favorite politician's pic from a newspaper to use when u'r in a pinch out camping.
HickoryNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #22
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark
Default Alternative uses for wood "wheels"

Take about a 3" diameter limb, cut it to the length of a toilet paper roll and drill a 1" hole in the middle and presto!

Permanent toilet paper.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/modules....view_photo.php

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #23
The Yankee Gator
Found some matches.

I like seasoned (at least a year old) cherry "wheels", quartered, and soaked in clean water. This tends to burn cleaner and does not seem to over darken meat like "green" cherry seems to, while still giving the flavor that we love. Make sure you get rid of as much bark as possible...whatever the wood. I will usually add my 1/4's to a hot pit on top of a good fire of lump a few pieces at a time.
I also make sure that things are burning completely before choking the pit down to take a nap. Cherry is awsome, but you have to be careful not to over smoke. Like anything that takes work--results can be amazing!
The Yankee Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #24
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

I also cook with all wood in my Bandera. I don't start the fire with coal, though. I open the firebox top, and twist a few pages of newsprint tightlyand set those in a bunch. I split some dry cedar plank down into kindling maybe 8" long, and form those into a tepee over the paper. Then I take 3-4 splits and form those into a tepee over the kindling. My splits tend to stick out above the top of the firebox. Then I light 'er up. I let it get going, then I shut the firebox lid. Oh, *that's* why the Bandera firebox lid is domed! :-) Yup, it fits down over your tepee. It usually takes about 45 minutes to thoroughly preheat a Bandera. I am also a fan of small hot fires. The key to a small hot fire is bone dry splits. If your wood isn't real dry, you'd better have some lump around to keep things going.

Also, the Bandera eats firewood. I generally add a split every 30 minutes, sometimes two. Say 3 splits per hour.

There's nothing in this world like having a neighbor who owns a log splitter. :-)

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #25
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Hmmmm.... interesting! I almost bought that last summer but went with an electric splitter you can see here. It is ok, but it has limitations on the size logs that can be split both length and width. I was hoping for a little more umph. Kinda wish I shelled out more dough and got a splitter in the 12 ton capacity and gas powered.

I think I did a month later, lol!