• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Started smoker build

Could you explain the 1/3 rule please? Or direct me somewhere to read up on it?

Very nice pit! Looks like its gonna be a monster.

I have read about the 1/3 rule from several different sources. It is a rule of thumb for pit building. The Smoke Ring is one of the best sources other than here for ideas on pit building.

I should have enough capacity to do most any cooks that I will encounter. This pit has 2- 30" X 30" racks and 2-30" X 36" racks.I plan to build a couple of big rib racks to more than double the capacity for ribs.

Thanks for the compliments guys. All the work has been done out in the Georgia sun this summer. Most of the rust has come from me dripping on the metal.:biggrin:

Looks great! I wish i had put pull out racks in mine, the smoke fetching meat off the back really sucks!

Looks good so far. Where can I score some of those chain links

I install and service sawmill machinery. They were leftovers from a job I did a couple years ago. You can contact Webster chain company. The size I used here is H132. HS 82 would have been more than enough but I like the herky look of the much larger chain.

Nice job Cheez, glad you got some time to work on it. Do you still head over here to SW Missouri anymore?

Hate to ask again, but I could dig all night and not find a reference.

Does the 1/3 rule of thumb refer to the size of the firebox in relation to the size of the pit?

Nice job Cheez, glad you got some time to work on it. Do you still head over here to SW Missouri anymore?

Thanks Moocow. Yes I am still coming over there from time to time. I will be coming over for a couple weeks in the first of September.

Hate to ask again, but I could dig all night and not find a reference.

Does the 1/3 rule of thumb refer to the size of the firebox in relation to the size of the pit?

The rule of thumb refers to the cubic inch area of the cook chamber. In other words my cook chamber is about 72,000 cubic inches and my firebox is about 24,000 cubic inches. I will seif I can find the exact reference but I am sure you can find it by doing a search on here.

Ok Cheez,

Your explaination was what I needed. Building a cooker myself and the size of the firebox in relation to the cooker wasn't something I hadnt considered.

Thanks

Nice looking pit John!
Can't wait to see some quality Q coming off that thing!

-scott

nice job, keep the pics coming

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 40
Back