MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #16
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Langs are a proven unit. Yes theres temp variations but show me a stick burner that doesn't.
I haven't cooked on a MC but have seen them up close and they are very nice pits.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
SigSauerNY
On the road to being a farker

The question is a couple degrees or a hundred, I came across some threads with some exreme temp variations.

I am leaning towards a lang for the history of lang.

But those meadow creeks sure is purdy.
SigSauerNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #18
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

My Lang 84 has a hot spot on bottom shelf above firebox so I use that section only for a pan of something I want hot quick, and the bottom shelf farthest from the firebox can run as much as 25 degrees cooler sometimes than the rest of the pit. I can tweak to get it with in 5 degrees in this cool spot but I don't have a need to do it. The rest of the space is all even, like said above all stick burners have a hot/cold spot or two. The MC may be just as great but I have never used one.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #19
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

Everyone has their own preferences...most reverse flows are basically the same, hot spot @ firebox end and generally, the top rack runs hotter than the bottom one. Meadow Creek's are essentially a Lang Clone.

I've built a few reverse flows and have fallen out of love with them... I've seen simpler offset stick burner designs that are less complicated and work as well or better with temperature variations within the pit (jambo)
Old 01-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #20
jeffry1970
Full Fledged Farker

I don't think I would buy a meadow creek. I own many meadow creek products but I feel the reverse flow TS smokers aren't with the price. I should say the extras that make them more expensive aren't worth the price. Just my opinion. As said before they are all just different variations of the same proven concept.
jeffry1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #21
SigSauerNY

I think its gonna be a 108.

I am however gonna be thinking about a spicewine for the home and when I travel to other states and the lang is too big for the job.

If you have a 108 please chime in with some tips or preferences from use.

Also is the stainless grate upgrade worth the $600
SigSauerNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:43 AM   #22
Cooknhogz

I had the same issue not being able to decide between a Lang and a Meadow Creek. Now keep in mind I BBQ part time only on the weekends for crowds of 100 to 300 most of the time, and had a few pull behind rigs in my years of doing Q. Last yearI went to a open house and talked to Eric at Mason Dixon BBQ services in Greencastle Pa. with all intents of buying a Meadow Creek TS250. Instead, I ended up spending less and going with the Meadow Creek CD108G Caterer's Delight for around $4000 it has a Large Multi smoker / cooker and a chicken cooker all on one trailer. I bought a extra ss rack and the charcoal tray for the big cooker so I can burn hard wood and charcoal and have the propane for back up. It's worked so good for me I'm mounting another chicken cooker on the trailer this year. Well worth the money and didn't spend a ton of doe for a great quality product. Good luck
Cooknhogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #23
jeffry1970
Full Fledged Farker

I've had over 25 butts on my pr-60 with room to spare, a bbq 42 can cook a case of thighs at a time so yes the cd108 can turn out lots of food! Like I said before I think most of the MC products are a great value I just can't justify the cost of the TS series.
I did however order one of the new bx50 box smokers and I can't wait for its maiden voyage.

This:

jeffry1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:33 AM   #24
Cooknhogz

jeffry1970, do you use the charcoal pan in you pr60? I start off with a 20 lb. (10 lbs. down each side) bag of charcoal topped with some hardwood splits. Smokes whatever I'm cooking very well. Then when kick on the propane after the temp goes down to finish the cook. Great cooker for the money.
Cooknhogz is offline   Reply With Quote