Chicken turn in box... HELP !!!

indianagriller

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here is my turn in box from the event that Dale's son won first in both categories, The skin was way too rubbery, i even peeled the skin off and tried to scrape the fat off, Also i think i let the sauce burn because they were way too dark. Any suggestions? I have searched for hours saturday night when i got home.

IMAGE_089.jpg

OK... Here are my thoughts.

1. Yeah, it looks too dark. Is the skin that dark or is it the sauce?
2. The sauce looks too thick to me, but it could be the picture.
3. the thighs are all different shapes and sizes. Try to choose thighs that are more uniform
4. There are a lot of "dangly bits" on the thighs (little things sticking out from the corners, sides, etc. Try to trim them off to make them look better. Also, the middle thigh on the right side has what looks like a big knuckle sticking off at an odd angle. Could that have been trimmed off without ruining the meat?

What were the garnish rules? While it is really a meat competition garnish (if allowed) can highlight the meat if done properly.

What were your scores?

SHould I go with boneless thighs? It was a no garnish allowed contest, not sanctioned by anyone. The sauce is a recipe i use for my ribs, and it is a very dark sauce, which then got darker when it burned. This was my first time using thighs and i tried to trim them. I was looking on here for a thread i saw about de boning them and making a boneless chicken roll, but i could not find it. Does anyone remember that thread?

Not only can a garnish highlight the meat, but it can possibly hide a minor blemish
or two and possibly make it tougher to discern the portion size differences. No matter
what they're instructed to judge, there's always a judge or two who is impressed with
the *pretty* display. :)

Otherwise, I think you guys hit it. They look burned, sauce and chicken (but pictures
can lie). Try lower heat; more time to get that fat cooked off as much as possible.
For me, I do sauce, and I sauce only in the last 5 to 8 minutes. At that time the
temps are VERY low, like 210, so the sugar(s) in the sauce dont burn leaving a skunky
taste...

If it were me, I would try to get thighs that are more uniform, as stated earlier, and also try to stretch the skin around the meat more. Also, if you can get more than 6 thighs in a box, I would try that. Since there is no garnish, that would fill the box up more. Were you able to use the meat as a garnish? For instance, using shredded chicken on the bottom of the box to lay your thighs on? Just some ideas....not that my chicken scores would be any incentive to follow, though!!!

Back